New Garmin Edge 810 and 510

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CBJ

by CBJ

So Garmin leaves product testing to the consumers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Doesn't pay to be an early adopter of a new garmin. Usually it takes 4 or 5 firmware updates to get 90% of the bugs out.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

ben88

by ben88

Ok I loaded the new firmware update this morning, this has resolved this issue with the loading screen freezing on the garmin whilst you try to look at your ride history. However the bigger issue with power alert messages still exists and will only be corrected if Garmin can adjust the software so the messages arent as big covering the whole screen and taking too long to dissapear. Im not sure Garmin will be able to resolve this or will want to but its definately not ideal and im still considering selling the edge 810 and going back to the 800. On my zone 3 power ride today I spent more time with the alert message on the screen than with the actual stats on the screen because the delay in the alert message dissapearing is too long.

CBJ

by CBJ

743power wrote:Doesn't pay to be an early adopter of a new garmin. Usually it takes 4 or 5 firmware updates to get 90% of the bugs out.

Good to know if there comes a time to update. I have the 800 and I am not tempted by the 810.

ms6073

by ms6073

ben88 wrote:However the bigger issue with power alert messages still exists
Since I do most power based interval workouts on a Tacx Bushido, I have not used the workout functionality in a while but I seem to recall with the Edge 500/800 there was a workout menu option to modify/disable alerts that was only available when the 'workout' is active.

How about this as a workaround - when programming a workout, setup the interval using Time as the duration, but do not specify a target which I would think would effectively disable any workout alerts. Garmin Connect example below:

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ben88

by ben88

ms6073 thanks that idea would work but is a solution for a problem that shouldnt exist.

Didnt get a chance to phone Garmin today, will do tomorrow

markyboy

by markyboy

Not happy at all my 810 keeps switching off today i lost all my ride data. :evil:
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

markyboy wrote:Not happy at all my 810 keeps switching off today i lost all my ride data. :evil:

I hate when that happens.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

After reading all the problems I'm so happy that I didn't jump on the new Garmin's but decided to still use my Joule2.0 that has never dropped a single file and works perfect all the time. I can easily live without GPS. Nothing more annoying then working your ass of during intervals and all your data is gone. Can't understand why they don't get there shit together.
I only could imagine all the problems if they would release the power pedals and then using customers as test objects!
No Garmin in my near future!

djm

by djm

CBJ wrote:
Good to know if there comes a time to update. I have the 800 and I am not tempted by the 810.

Same thing here.. But Garmin will probably do fine considering how many people want to part with their money. I don't really see why I should upgrade. The screen is as horrible (really hate the screen of my 800..) and there aren't any useful new features. How about making it possible to deactivate the auto zero offset when running a powermeter? That one really sucks.... as it turns out it quite often chooses a completely wrong offset for me.

markyboy

by markyboy

How do i update my 810?
I have been onto the garmin site but dont see anything.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Tillquist

by Tillquist

markyboy wrote:How do i update my 810?
I have been onto the garmin site but dont see anything.

Read this http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=6005
See all my bike h e r e

markyboy

by markyboy

When you updated your 810 did you have to put all your information in again?i did.
So i have lost everything and have to start again.pi$$ed off.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Tillquist

by Tillquist

markyboy wrote:When you updated your 810 did you have to put all your information in again?i did.
So i have lost everything and have to start again.pi$$ed off.

No the history is there.
See all my bike h e r e

ms6073

by ms6073

markyboy wrote:When you updated your 810 did you have to put all your information in again?
Many Garmin users backup their settings file before performing an update. The following is for the Edge 800 but should be applicable to the 510/810 as well: How can I backup my personal settings and profiles on my Edge 800?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com