My Eddy Merckx

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

HenrikSwe

by HenrikSwe

Hi everyone!

I´ve followed this forum for ages and though I would get in the game and show my bike. I´m a fan of light bikes and tried to bring the weight down but rather unsuccessful. The bike weights in at a a little less than 9 kg with the Cosmic wheels which obviously is a tad heavy.

As a 14 years old boy I saw the Merckx with this paint in the local bike shop´s catalogue. I instantly fell in love with the design and paintwork. 6 years later I visited the shop and there it was. Hanging in the ceiling w/out front fork but otherwise perfect. Bought it on sight. Planned the bike carefully. Wanted a Record gruppo but the financial situation said no. Settled for Chorus instead. Took me 6 months to get all the parts but it was worth it. My goal for this build was to make it look like a Paris-Roubaix aspiring bike.

The frame is a Merckx Alu Team ´01 (57 cm) equipped with a full Chorus 10s 2006 gruppo. Deda Newton stem with Newton shallow bars. Time Impact pedals.

Hope you guys like it!
Attachments
Almost complete. The cassette is not fitted for this photo.
Almost complete. The cassette is not fitted for this photo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timo

by Timo

That's a very nice Merckx "HenrikSwe", could you please measure the headtube for me (top to bottom w/out headset)?
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

HenrikSwe

by HenrikSwe

Timo wrote:That's a very nice Merckx "HenrikSwe", could you please measure the headtube for me (top to bottom w/out headset)?

The headtube is 16,5 cm w/out headset. The headset is a standard Record 1" threadless.

You´re welcome

WileEcoyote

by WileEcoyote

Ok not a weight weenie, but a great looking bike. Needs a matching black Deda seatpost to my eye, but that's about it.

HenrikSwe

by HenrikSwe

It would be nicer with a black post. Being who I am I would consider a Record carbon post a good upgrade. Otherwise, as far as weight goes, a new bike all over would be the only way to reach the low weights.

RudeE

by RudeE

Awesome bike! The seatpost is perfect, most pro bikes from the early 2000's used aluminum posts.
Looks perfect!

Montana

by Montana

Great looking bike! It is exciting to build a dream bike :beerchug: have you tried gum wall tires on this build?

michel2

by michel2

Very nice indeed, such a sucsesful bike in the peleton !
I its one bucketlist, 50 bikes i have to own before i get cleaned up (;

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Very beautifull, classic bike!!! :thumbup:

I am also wondering how it would look with gumwall tyres....

michel2

by michel2

majklnajt wrote:Very beautifull, classic bike!!! :thumbup:

I am also wondering how it would look with gumwall tyres....

You just want gumwall on everything (;, inwanne photoshop my car with gumwalls !!(;

waynedude

by waynedude

Beautiful Merckx....
I may have Alzheimer's, but at least I dont have Alzheimers

HenrikSwe

by HenrikSwe

Some of you wondered how it would look with traditional looking tyres, so here it is! An off season picture I took a couple of minutes ago.
Attachments
IMG_0671 - Kopia.JPG

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Nice bike. I prefer the look with the modern tires (Michelin right?). Really like the Merckx aluminium bike. Only the Scandium ones are even nicer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ronderman

by ronderman

I had one and just got rid of it about a month ago. You have a good eye - that paint was the best paint for pro bike probably ever. Suggestion: the fizik blue handle bar tape goes perfect with the blue on the frame. Try it out.

I had a horizontal top tube one made from deda and got hit by a car and the frame ripped in half about two inches from the headtube - fork was perfect - go figure. The second one was same paint but Team SC and had the domo decals on it. Loved it, but it was sloping and the sloping was just too much for me and I'm getting older and couldn't ride two bikes. Had mine built with campy, too.

Enjoy - anyone who knows that bike is cool - anyone who doesn't needs a lesson.