Weight saving on Spooky brakes...

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Timo

by Timo

I wonder how much weight can be saved on the allready very light Spooky carbon breaks. I have them on all my bikes and wonder what could be changed. Are all bolts and nuts aluminium or can things be changed there? I also wonder about the canti mounts. They are pretty standard on my bikes. Are they available in titanium or alu?

Thanks in advance,
Timo

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

i just got some standard spooky brakes and i believe all the hardware is steel, so you could lose some weight there. Also, as long as the canti mounts thread into the frame, these can be replaced by ti. these are available pretty frequently on US ebay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timo

by Timo

Thanks for the reply Dan! I had the same feeling, that the hardware is steel. I have no clue how to test that other than ordering all hardware in alu or titanium and compare weight.

Boonen

by Boonen

You could use a magnet, if it sticks it's steel. Aluminium and titanium are pretty easy to seperate, aluminium is usually lighter in colour and has that special feel to it. Hard to describe, but you know what I mean when you see it. Aluminium bolts feel just super light, but also a bit 'soft'. Titanium somehow has a more robust feel to it, like (stainless)steel, but as said, it doesn't stick to a magnet.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Magnet will stick to stainless steel (like Record rear der. bolts) but lightly. Not in ti.