Has anyone tried the Schwalbe Ultremo HT Tubular Tire?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

duke249

by duke249

I've been riding the Ultremo tubulars throughout the summer. The ride quality is very nice and they have been very durable. I haven't ridden Conti competitions so I can't provide a direct comparison, but I will recommend Ultremos. They glue up straight, weren't too tight going on Mavic Cosmic Carbone Pros and are very comfortable.

I don't know the mileage I have on them. I'll guess around 700 miles. The rear is starting to show wear with the center tread being worn down, but that doesn't bother me. The front looks almost new.

I have not ridden them in the rain, but have ridden them on many "spirited' group rides. They corner well and roll well.

Good tires. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

huddini

by huddini

2 tyres killed with in 78 km!!!!!!! Summer and dry roads.... If my last one dies right away I will get GP4000.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I've been racing on Schwalbe HT's and TT's all year. Like any tyre - you can always get a flat at any time. I've only had one flat with the HT's. None with the TT's.

I also ride the Ultremo DD clincher tyres and they are ACE. Lasted me forever with no flats.

The HT's are a goos all-round tubular I would say. Not as 'fast' as some top-end race tyres, but good otherwise.
Last edited by Pokerface07 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

huddini

by huddini

Pokerface07 wrote:I've been racing on Schwalbe HT's and TT's all year. Like any tyre - you can always get a flat at any time. I've only had one flat with the HT's. None with the TT's.

True about the flat, but I only had 4 flats on GP4000 running about 25000 km!

Maybe 25 mm on RW?

padde

by padde

What do people think of the Durano T compared to e.g. the offerings by Continental? I have never seen anyone with these mounted, and no one in my local gang of "tubular warriors" have tried them. (see a lot of Durano+ clinchers in the winter time though)

yubbers

by yubbers

Damn, now there's tire sommeliers? Gonna have to start selling aged tubs and having tire sniffing events :p

The HT's are on my short list. Myonly concern is the sidewalls. I hit a fair amount of loose gravel and other stuff I should'nt be riding on. And wondering if I'll have to sacrifice ride quality for bomb proofness.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Wow, long lasting topic :-)
I am fairly new to Schwalbe and so far have used their Ultremo DDs. In winterish Seattle weather they are fantastic. I love the grip, racy feel, and so far great durability and puncture resistance. A friend of mine also trains on them and he is equally impressed (picked up some thorns, pieces of glass, etc and no flats) but mentioned recently that the rear was fishtailing at harder efforts - so far I have not noticed it.
I am now stretching HTs on the rims and will be mounting them shortly. In 3 weeks I'll test new 2013 V-Guard ZX and 2012 ZLX clinchers (no tubular test at the time) and shortly after the HT tubies.
So far I've noticed that both Ultremo DDs and ZX run narrow by some 1.5 mm. HTs are on the money
Here is what a local racer wrote about the Ultremo HTs.
Totally looking forward to testing them and then onto Veloflex Carbons and Extremes :mrgreen:
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Ultremo HT tubs are pretty nice from my experience. Somewhat similar to Continental Competition tread with a latex inner tube. Not sure how the compound is made up, but they feel grippy and reasonably comfortable to me.

Ultremo ZX clincher is a very good also. 1500km commuting through central London in the winter - only one flat, and no slides.

I'd prefer not to ride Schwalbe as they are ugly, but these tyres are pretty impressive.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

ollykyte wrote:
fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Why bother with mediocrity when you can enjoy the best?

Conti Comps or whatever cycling related Continental does has little to with your results yet has everything to do with their results.

The mere thought of having companies such as Veloflex ,FMB and Dugast around is just awesome. Truly awesome.

When it comes to cycling, Continental does not have a clue. None whatsoever.

Sorry for the fans, ;)

To shed some light on why this might be the case; Conti are now owned by the Schaeffler Group, a huge German mechanical engineering conglomerate. They bought Conti a few years ago, with a sole purpose in mind - their 'futures' technologies (i.e. R&D in low carbon automotive tech) a world away from the niche area of Bike Tyre production, as a result, we are unlikely to see any revelations from Conti in the near future; perhaps the gaps in TPI between the Conti's and Vit's says something more than the number of threads per inch?

See the thread on the latest round of crr data.

Contis are not comfortable but their best efforts are fast. That the world championship TT was won on a stock conti clincher says it all.

BTW ... back OT ... the Ultremo HT in 22mm form weighs 257g.

I find it very similar to the Conti Competition. Very round. Stout for the weight. Superb grip in all conditions. Ok comfort - not veloflex or vittoria levels.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Contis are not comfortable but their best efforts are fast. That the world championship TT was won on a stock conti clincher says it all.

They're not that fast. Lack of comfort means lack of suspension and that is where they'll always lose speed.

Schwalbe is a similar story and these aren't even....fast. :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

sawyer wrote:Contis are not comfortable but their best efforts are fast. That the world championship TT was won on a stock conti clincher says it all.
It may say something. But have you considered the possibility that the rider had something to do with the race result?