Colnago C59 or Bianchi Oltre XR/ Oltre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stang1

by stang1

As much as I would love to have the bora 2s , I must admit to the fact that I'm no light rider by all means. The r sys would be the way to go.

Any objections to having a white TIME stem and having it slammed? :wink:

Sisbud

by Sisbud

Definitely C59 with Campy SR and Campy wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Sisbud, 100% agree

Take the Campa Hyperon Ultra 2 wheels... They will hold your 85KG easy... I am 87KG (but also 1.94m heights ;-) )
Love them on my C59
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

markyboy wrote:I have had both sets of wheels the bora 2 and the r sys,boras really nice but kept breaking spokes.
r sys really nice as well,i now have mavic cosmic carbone slr best wheels i have had imo as i want to run clincher.
Anyone need a bora spoke kit i have one for sale brand new.

How many of these mini-kits did you buy, Mark? :shock:

I know I told you this before but Boras really don't have a habit of breaking spokes. No Campa wheel does as far as I'm aware of. Spokes break for a reason, one of the them being badly distributed tension across them.

Anyway, to the TS, I'd pick Campa's Bora even if I'd weigh 85 kg. Those wheels are virtually indestructible IME.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

markyboy

by markyboy

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

markyboy wrote:I have had both sets of wheels the bora 2 and the r sys,boras really nice but kept breaking spokes.
r sys really nice as well,i now have mavic cosmic carbone slr best wheels i have had imo as i want to run clincher.
Anyone need a bora spoke kit i have one for sale brand new.

How many of these mini-kits did you buy, Mark? :shock:

I know I told you this before but Boras really don't have a habit of breaking spokes. No Campa wheel does as far as I'm aware of. Spokes break for a reason, one of the them being badly distributed tension across them.

Anyway, to the TS, I'd pick Campa's Bora even if I'd weigh 85 kg. Those wheels are virtually indestructible IME.

Ciao, ;)

I had a couple sold one to you i have one left lol
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That's a relief.....Starting to question your sanity, Mark .... :x

Just kidding, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

stang1

by stang1

Bike should be up within next week . Thanks peeps for the advice.

I was going with the 2013 Mavic R-Sys slr initally with nothing but rave reviews from the lbs owner and mechanic, but the new topics of the exalith braking pads are kinda turning me off them for a tad.. I do not know if it applies to the 2012 supply or the 2013, from pictures worth, its definitely the non skeleton'ed machined 2013 rims.

Last chance to baller on my wheels :noidea: Prices will be based on this site here and there abouts.

Weight wise,

mavic-r-sys-slr-clincher
http://www.bikebug.com/wheels-accessori ... 16281.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight (pair of wheels): 1295 grams

campagnolo-bora-ultra-two
http://www.bikebug.com/wheels-accessori ... -4574.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight (pair of wheels): 1310 grams (the normal red/white decals or dark label ?)

fulcrum-racing-speed-xlr-dark-label
http://www.bikebug.com/wheels-accessori ... 15363.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight (pair of wheels): 1324 grams (pretty sure they have the same CULT bearings as the bora U2s)

Thanks champs, first world problems but hey.. its all about aesthetics ye ? :thumbup:

PS: has a white Time stem, white Colnago seatpost, Black saddle, handlebars and bartape and yes, tan line tubulars :lol:

Sisbud

by Sisbud

Definitely the campy bora ultra two black label. It would fit in with your saddle and handlebar tape.

stang1

by stang1

Hi Guys, just an update of my build so far ;) still waiting on wheels and saddle! so stoked but I cant ride it just yet :(

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Love it! You thought about a pair of hyperons?

But please, please, please change the cages.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

kgt wrote:
stang1 wrote: In all honesty, are the bora ultra 2's much better than R-Sys slrs ?

Much, much better.

Not comparable wheels.

Ridden the R-Sys for a month, they really impressed me.

Bora's I've had limited riding on. Campag hubs, as always, are excellent. But they are tubs and deep sections. Nothing at all like the r-sys.

To the OP, if you're looking for a light weight, clincher wheelset that honestly look like singles with the Mavic tyres on it then go the r-sys.

Otherwise the Bora's are still a great wheelset too.

stang1

by stang1

Tinea Pedis wrote:
kgt wrote:
stang1 wrote: In all honesty, are the bora ultra 2's much better than R-Sys slrs ?

Much, much better.

Not comparable wheels.

Ridden the R-Sys for a month, they really impressed me.

Bora's I've had limited riding on. Campag hubs, as always, are excellent. But they are tubs and deep sections. Nothing at all like the r-sys.

To the OP, if you're looking for a light weight, clincher wheelset that honestly look like singles with the Mavic tyres on it then go the r-sys.

Otherwise the Bora's are still a great wheelset too.

Whoops, forgot to update the thread about my wheels, but I have a pair of Bora Ultra 2's in Dark lable scheme arriving shortly, still like 1 week away, same goes with my saddle. LBS does not have it in stock :roll:

Thanks and appreciated all the feedback henceforth, I am very pleased with my choices and am looking foward to enjoying the ride :beerchug:

manne

by manne

Love that frame, gonna be a great bike. Personally I would swap the stem for a less bulky looking one, like the Zero100.

PSM

by PSM

manne wrote:Love that frame, gonna be a great bike. Personally I would swap the stem for a less bulky looking one, like the Zero100.

+1. That stem on a C59? It's like having BMW rims on a Mercedes !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com