Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0 PRO or Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

I need your advise! :lol:

Currently I am on the lookout for a new road bike as I had recently a bicycle accident and my previous bike got damaged. Besides a broken collarbone and some bruises I am okay. At the moment a lawyer is attending the legal issues of this matter, so I have to wait for a final settlement.

Anyway, I was looking ahead and checking different bikes, and as Canyon's are not very common in the Barcelona Spain region I decided to go for a Canyon. Also due to their prices as per internet sales.

First I had in mind to choose between a Ultimate Al 9.0 DI2 Ultegra and an Ultimate CF 9.0 pro Chorus as there was only €100 difference between an aluminum and a full carbon frame. But then I was checking and the Ultimate CF SLX 7.0 Ultegra is €400 more for a superior frame and, in my opinion, nice looks, better wheels and I do not have to buy a new black saddle and bar tape as I want the bike in black.

Anyway, I would like to know your motivations for buying which bike?, and also regarding the PPS tool for sizing on the Canyon website, is it reliable? After filling in the sizes table (some approx. as I am still wearing a brace around my shoulders) it gave me a 60cm frame size for the CF SLX.

I had a 60cm frame road bike with a short 60mm stem (as the 100mm stem gave me back problems) and a 59cm Bianchi pista steel track bike with a 90mm stem. Sometimes I had the feeling that I liked the Bianchi better for it's geometry, but it's a different kind of bike.

If the budget allows it I go without thinking for the CF SLX Ultegra (I do not care much for electronic shifting btw, so no need to go for one step higher), but still I would appreciate your opinions and motivations for buying which of the 3 bikes?

Thanks!

Coudy

by Coudy

I have ordered the new CF SLX 8.0, better, nicer, stiffer frame, BB90, cables inside the frame. I have waited 1 year for the new frame. Btw, Ultegra will go 11 speed next season, dont you want to wait? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

When would be the next season? I think/hope in some weeks to have everything settled and order a new bike and start cycling again.

Coudy

by Coudy

I have meant autumn 2013. Brand new ultegra will appear.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

That would be too late, and I do not really care about one more gear to be honest :roll:
I just want to cycle and have fun with good comfortable, good looking bike. (many times I go riding with my track bike to train cadence and endurance)

Coudy

by Coudy

One more gear is just small plus. Wenn I read reviews on new Dura Ace, how superb it is, I expect that the new Ultegra will be much better that the old one. I would surely wait... Btw I have road bike from 2004 with 9speed Ultegra. :)
Last edited by Coudy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

I'd say the last one... buy as much bike as you can up front... upgrades are expensive.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

Coudy wrote:One more gear is just small plus. Wenn I read reviews on new Dura Ace, how superb it is, I expect that the new Ultegra will be much better that the old one. I would surely wait... Btw I have road bike from 2004 with 9speed Ultegra. :)

Dura Ace for me is way out of budget as an amateur, and coming from a 2007 Veloce, everything newer will be a huge improvement. I have used, until the accident, my Veloce with lot pleasure, but now with a little help of my lawyer I can upgrade to a newer and better bike.

One more question regarding the size. My Bianchi track bike is a 59cm and my Jan Janssen road bike was a 60cm. I have compared the geometry sizes, and I am waiting for the geometry table from my Jan Janssen (I have sent them an email as no info is available online for this older bike).
Which size would be "better"? The SLX L 59cm or an SLX XL 60cm? With the 59cm the seat tube is shorter, but this can be adjusted with putting the seat up, and the reach with a longer stem :roll:

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Could you just get fitted at your shop? I'm sure they would have some similar models for you to try out. From what I see there I would lean toward the large... the XL could very possibly be too big, and compensating with a short stem would mess up handling and stability.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

Quinn039 wrote:Could you just get fitted at your shop? I'm sure they would have some similar models for you to try out. From what I see there I would lean toward the large... the XL could very possibly be too big, and compensating with a short stem would mess up handling and stability.

I could check, but a bike fit also means that I have to spend €150-200 (it's rather expensive here). Also on another forum with the provided details, recommendation was an L sized frame.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Is that an old photo of the CF, I thought this year's model had CANYON.COM plastered over every tube where as that looks more like last year's model.

I bought a 2012 CF Frame and been very happy with it. At the time, didn't see the point in spending a load more for a fractionally lighter bike with the SLX frame. They've completely redesigned the SLX for this year though so if you can afford it and it comes with a better spec and you don't have to buy new saddle and tape which could be another €100 then it's probably worthwhile.

Glad I got my CF when I did, the loud new CANYON.COM graphics put me right off that I wouldn't have considered one now if I was looking.

sawyer

by sawyer

mattyb95 wrote:I bought a 2012 CF Frame and been very happy with it. At the time, didn't see the point in spending a load more for a fractionally lighter bike with the SLX frame.

Always think this kind of comment reflects the primacy of aesthetics in so many cycling purchasing decisions.

The SLX is different frame - it's higher grade carbon, and a different lay-up. It's also lighter.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

With the help of a cycling Dutch forum I am certain to buy an L sized frame (ether the CF or SLX)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valy

by Valy

I got the 2012 Ultimate CF and the geo is a bit weird whereas the SLX seems more normal and in line with the rest of Canyon's road bikes.

From the measurements it seems like the large SLX would be the right fit and of course the SLX seems like a way cooler frame in features and looks.

As for looks being important - I personally think they are important, but would not make me buy or not buy a bike purely on them.