Di2 troubleshooting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Leviathan

by Leviathan

How long will it be before an electronic system can be made to transmit via telemetry what the problem is back to head office a la mclaren f1?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

probably tomorrow or the next day

Mordi

by Mordi

Same thing happened to me today. 25 miles out from home and poof, the system stops working (as luck would have it, in my 53x12). Checked all connections and the system is dead. I hooked it up to an old external harness at home and it worked, so the problem has to be either the internal Junction B box or the battery mount/cable.

Really irritates me that I now have to go and shell out $250+ to replace a set of 4 wires and a junction box, particularly on a system that will be out of date in just a few months.

Anyone have a suggestion? (or a used internal Junction B box and battery cradle?)

Mordi

by Mordi

Following up - turns out it was my battery cradle (I tried a brand new Junction B and the system still didn't work). Ended up ordering an internal seatpost battery to replace the OEM external cradle, as I have always wanted to go with the internal battery. Hopefully this will tide me over until the new 9070 Di2 is available.

Mordi

by Mordi

Well so much for the prior "fix". I replaced the battery+cradle with an internal seatpost battery (crafted by the dude selling on ebay). It worked for two months, then last week went crazy. On one day, the system stopped working completely after 20 min of riding, I stopped and checked all connections and it still didn't work. Then 40 minutes later it started working again (without me doing anything more). Two rides later, the exact same thing happened -- stopped working about the same place on the same route, and started working again within a mile of where it resumed working earlier in the week.

I am perplexed with the intermittent functioning after having checked all components and replacing the battery and cradle. Really getting frustrated after being an early and devoted Di2 adopter. At this point I'm thinking I may replace the FD (as it has been making a soft clicking noise about 20 seconds after downshifts) to see if that may be the source of the problem.

Any ideas please???

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

The Fd issue could be similar to the trouble I had. See my old post about giving it a bit of a lube in the right places.

I wouldnt really trust an ebay seller for hacked Di2 battery, much better to do it youself then you'll know its potential weak points (mainly where water might get to the cells/connections).

Suprised the battery holder gave in though on the stock setup. Mine's had 2 full winters and gets hosed down multiple times a week, never had any trouble with Shimanos bits.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107037 & viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106865

Might be of some help.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

i'm familiar with that ebay seller and have had long conversations with him about di2 batteries and custom modifications i have done for di2.

i know he does excellent work.

that said, $hit happens sometimes.

to mordi, my first suspicion is a poor connection -- and given the intermittent nature it suggests to me a poor soldering connection. i would suspect something with the battery and/or it's wiring to the junction, simply because this was not stock.

if it were me, i would sub in a stock battery for testing.

since you're losing all power, it just seems like it cannot be the RD, FD or shifters.

drmutley

by drmutley

Sounds like an intermittent conductor fault in the wiring loom somewhere...

Carlin

by Carlin

Hi Guys,

Seen this and thought I'd ask a few questions.
So I've just purchased Shimano Di2 XTR and today was my second outing absolutely love this but now it's stopped working gutted.
First of all the LCD unit would light up show when trying to change gear it would but no power to the rear mech. Then after cleaning my bike down I've found it no longer works at all no power to the LCD unit. I've tested to battery it works fine? I'm at a loss now.
It was raining today and assume it could be due to getting wet? I've unplugged everything wiped it don't and plugged back in but still nothing?
Unfortunately I don't have a diagnostic supply would this actually help me to find the issue?

ms6073

by ms6073

Are you running the XTR rear derailleur as a 1x system or do you also have a XTR front derailleur? I ask because the front Di2 road derailleurs cannot be mixed with an XTR rear derailleur. That said, using the Shimano diagnostic checker with the e-tube software would most likely make quick work of diagnosing/remedying the issue, not to mention help avoid having to disassemble your bike to bench test all the Di2 components. Among the first things to check would be to ensure all components are on the latest firmware as I recall there was a required battery firmware update to provide complete functionality with the road batteries and XTR rear derailleur.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Mordi wrote:Well so much for the prior "fix". I replaced the battery+cradle with an internal seatpost battery (crafted by the dude selling on ebay). It worked for two months, then last week went crazy. On one day, the system stopped working completely after 20 min of riding, I stopped and checked all connections and it still didn't work. Then 40 minutes later it started working again (without me doing anything more). Two rides later, the exact same thing happened -- stopped working about the same place on the same route, and started working again within a mile of where it resumed working earlier in the week.

I am perplexed with the intermittent functioning after having checked all components and replacing the battery and cradle. Really getting frustrated after being an early and devoted Di2 adopter. At this point I'm thinking I may replace the FD (as it has been making a soft clicking noise about 20 seconds after downshifts) to see if that may be the source of the problem.

Any ideas please???

Really sorry but sounds like toast RD encoder ( the bit that tells which position it's in) unfortunately it is still a source of problems and I wonder if the new XTR has it solved..

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk