Praxis Works chainrings vs. Stronglight CT2s?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bicicleta

by bicicleta

I'm using Rival shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

Just ordered a 36 / 52 praxis set to replace my stronglight CT2's. (They are finally available for sale) I'll post back impressions after they arrive.

aaric

by aaric

For what its worth, the praxis rings shift nicer than the stronglight CT2's in 36/52. The stronglights were nicer than the sram red 36/52s.

Shifting is decent with the 1091R chain - it overshifts a little occasionally with the praxis rings. The stronglights had a tendency to drop on the outside if I slammed the shift hard up with the 1091R. (the CT2s were fine with the KMC X10SL - occasional overshifting, but no drops) butt feel says the praxis rings are stiffer, but may be the $170 placebo effect.

X10SL chain is smoother front shifting on both the praxis and stringlight rings than the 1091R chain.

Didn't remember to weigh the new rings unfortunately. I'm running a red yaw front derailleur and 3rd gen s-works cranks.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

as a follow up, in the FAQ, Praxis clearly states that their chainrings will work with the Quarq Powermeter.

http://praxiscycles.com/pages/faq

boysa

by boysa

Is this new information? When I purchased my Quarq back in April, they informed me the Praxis rings wouldn't calibrate correctly. Therefore I went with the Stronglight rings and they've been great so far. I wouldn't mind giving the Praxis a try, though.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

eric

by eric

The Praxis FAQ says the 110BCD 52/36 and 130BCD 53/39 calibrate "perfectly" on Quarq. But doesn't mention the other rings.
On the Quarq site's ring calibration table the Praxis 110mm 50/34 rings are marked "not recommended as the slope difference between the rings exceeds 2%." Bummer.

http://www.quarq.com/ring-difference

r_mutt

by r_mutt

yes, 110 BCD is not recommended, but 130 BCD is. i called Quarq and they recommend the standard rather than the clover chainring style for a Quarq Powermeter. i've been looking for a substitute for the Stronglight CT2 rings because i've had 3 pairs of 53/39, and i've bent the 2 of the 3 big rings. the last one lasting less than 1000 miles before i noticed a wave. i'm no gorilla either- max power those rings have seen is just over 1,300 Watts and i weight 155-160.

boysa

by boysa

My CT2 rings were slightly out of alignment when I got them, but the discrepancy has remained consistent. Quarq had told me the issue had to do with the calibration between the large and small rings. Glad to see they've worked it out. FWIW, I'm running standard 53/39 on a Rotor crank with CK bb.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Dammit

by Dammit

r_mutt wrote:yes, 110 BCD is not recommended, but 130 BCD is. i called Quarq and they recommend the standard rather than the clover chainring style for a Quarq Powermeter. i've been looking for a substitute for the Stronglight CT2 rings because i've had 3 pairs of 53/39, and i've bent the 2 of the 3 big rings. the last one lasting less than 1000 miles before i noticed a wave. i'm no gorilla either- max power those rings have seen is just over 1,300 Watts and i weight 155-160.

Similar power output and weight, probably ~200 miles on a 110bcd 52T Stronglight CT2 and a noticeable bend in it now.

Anyone else experience this?

djconnel

by djconnel

My 36-46 Cyclocross set, which I got today from Roll San Francisco (LBS):

front: 104.0 grams
rear: 35.4 grams
total: 139.4 grams

Not installed yet -- presently recovering from injury and not riding.

Heavier than I expected: was hoping for 133 or so. Someone good with a drill could get the front down a decent amount.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

As my Rotor Q-rings are hitting 10K and I am (still) not 100% satisfied with the front shifting I am looking for "normal" rings.
Can anyone tell me if the following Stronglights will fit on my 3D24 crank? (I have now 110 BCD Qrings)

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Stron ... is-p24706/

Thanks!

stormur

by stormur

In CX-er in last 2 years I went thru 36-46 rings :
1. TA Specialties ( never again ) ,
2. Stronglight CT2 ( nice, very nice - but as mentioned limit on big ring has to be set up precisely and tiny bit closer than it seems to- then works perfect ) ,
3. Rotor ( so so, nothing really to complain, but also nothing to be happy , I would say "Tiagra" level of shifting, softest from all )

and finally ( because of Campa crank ) MIche Super 11.

Designed for 2009-2011 cranks ( 2 part bolts ) surprisingly ( 4me) fits PERFECTLY to Rotor 3d24 110BCD crank. I didn't check weight :( , but after about 1500km on it ( Campa Chorus & Sram Force 22 ) I'm more than happy. Shifting is faster & crispier than on previous chainrings.

Stiffest from all mentioned above even on extremely low cadence ( like 40-50 ) under heavy load not even small sign of bend, color is kind of brown-ish ( a la Campagnolo ) , regular Rotor bolts hold it without issues .

What you can not like : shifts are crisp , read almost "brutal" - Shimano softness lovers will be disappointed. But it has benefits : shifts always, regardless conditions- in deep snow, mud, covered by sand, ice , after 80km on very dusty gravel… without any hesitation or delays.

Chainrings has plenty of pins and special ramps - I believe it cause so nice work . Another plus is availability : 34,36,38 & 42,44,46,48 . Reasonably priced, so won't damage even "budget" builds.

I use dit with Chorus, 1190 & 1170 chain. No noticeable difference .

Hope it helps.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

pressed001

by pressed001

Ritterview wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:29 pm
surfsjp wrote: I'm having trouble navigating their site...
Its not you. XXCycle is impossible to figure out. I never realized chainrings could be so complicated. It is like some French practical joke. I just wanted to figure out which Stronglight outer chainring was meant to work as part of a triple. Couldn't figure anything. Then I emailed them, and it only got worse. They recommended I toss my Lightning outboard bearing tandem cranks and replace it with a square taper Stronglight or Campy (though Campy doesn't make a tandem crankset). I never did get the answer about which Stronglight outer chainrings would work with a triple.

Oh, that a good US or UK retailer would only become a Stronglight distributor. Maybe one of our industry WW contributors can explain why this doesn't/can't happen.
Thread is way old but I have to retort.

When purchasing from XXCycle you either had to 1) already know exactly what you needed or 2) have been willing to search a bit for part info as the way they listed and named parts was very French and confusing. However, they have changed recently and all the gear is now super easy to find.

I have bought from XXCycle a few time and have only very positive reviews.

FWIW i was born in NC.

The Stronglight CT2 chainrings are so far holding up great. I have the 53-39's and a normal Stronglight 30 built onto a Rotor 3D+ Triple. Recently I have some cracking noises coming from the crank area and wanted to know if anyone has experienced increased chain noise/suck from their chainrings. I tried tonight clicking into the pedals and applying weight here and there but could not get the noise that I get when actually riding.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

So my Fibre-Lyte outer ring has finally given up the ghost (splintering on some of the teeth now - affects shifting and is annoying)

Looking to replace with either (in 110 BCD /50 Tooth):
PraxisWorks Buzz
Stronglight CT2
Rotor NoQ
Cheapo Sram Powerglide

Hearing bad stories on here about Stronglights bending? The Rotor NoQ is less well known, Praxis will work great but not overly enamored with the looks, the Powerglide is cheap and a classic look but not sure on the shifting... Any guidance?

This will go onto a Quarq Sram Red Powermeter (the version before the Dzero), any issues with the above rings?