Sidi Mega vs Specialized

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

geedawg

by geedawg

I did a quick search and did see some comments regarding the fit of Sid vs Specialized, but just want to confirm a couple of things.

I currently have a pair of Sidi Ergo 2s and Bont A1s in size 42, as well as a pair of Giro Prolights in 42.5. In ranking of uncomfortable --> comfortable, the Giro's absolutely kill my feet, the Bonts are OK on shorter rides, and the Sidis are the most comfortable, but I can only strap the toe strap halfway before it is too tight. In fact, on all 3 pairs, the straps are only strapped halfway to 2/3s of the way before they get uncomfortable for me.

All 3 pairs fit well in length, but end up hurting the outside part of my foot in the area right before my little toe. And it BURNS and ends up cramping. I'm guessing that the issue is one of finding a wide enough shoe that has good volume.

Years and years ago I had a pair of Specialized MTB shoes that I don't remember having any issues with. Has the fit changed much on the Specs in the last 5-8 years? From what I can tell on the threads, the Specs are wider than Sidis. I am going to try to find a shop to try them on, but its hard for me to judge the comfort until I'm actually on a bike, and by then it's too late to return anything. So just wanted to get any input you may have regarding the S-Works.

As a sidenote, for those of you that have been able to try both the 2012 and the new 2013 S-Works, are the new ones worth it assuming I can get the 2012 at a good price?

Thanks!

mattydubs

by mattydubs

Have you tried ordering direct from Bont? I know they have a fit guide that has you trace your foot and measure it. They actually offer their shoes in different widths, which I've never seen at a Bont dealer in the US. I know that using it, they told me to get a 42 narrow but if I bought them locally I would only have gotten "normal".

I don't know if that would have fit, I got a hook up deal on Giro stuff and got some Prolights, but as you can guess my foot is rather narrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattydubs

by mattydubs

Also, are you saying you have Sidi Mega now and they don't fit? You reference in the topic but don't mention it elsewhere. I am not sure if you are using regular Sidis now or a Mega model.

Just in case...

WHAT MAKES A MEGA SHOE DIFFERENT?
SIDI MEGA shoes are constructed on a Mega last which is an additional 4mm wider across the ball. The Mega is higher volume with a higher instep and wider heel cup. Occasionally a cyclist who does not have an exceptionally wide foot but who uses a high volume orthotic and/or has a very high instep will be more comfortable in a Mega shoe.

geedawg

by geedawg

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I wasn't really clear. Originally my thread was to ask the difference between a Sidi Mega shoe vs. the S-Works but evolved into something else. I currently wear regular Sidis and am wondering if the Mega size might still be too narrow.

Thanks again!

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I have quite a wide foot - here's what I've found...

Sidi Mega is wide (much wider than any of their standard fit shoes)
Shimano 'E' fit is slightly wider than Sidi Mega
Bont wide is very wide
Northwave are usually wide, but the SBS Extreme isn't!
Specialized do the (now old) S-Works shoe in a wide fit (which I've not tried), but only in black
Scott Premium are wide (and very comfortable)

I'm currently in the new Shimano R320E after not getting on with the Bonts and having come from a not-wide-enough NW SBS Extreme - so far so good, and they have better ventilation too.

civdic

by civdic

Yes, the Specialized have narrowed their shoes. I rode Specialized shoe for a few years and had great success with the fit. I have a wider foot, not too wide but I also have a high in step. I tried the Sidi 6.6 Mega and found that my heel would slip because of the larger heel cup. Even with the adjustment for the heel I couldn't get it to feel right. I tried going down a size in the Sidi's but they were too short.

I've tried a few different shoes and most recently bought a pair of 2012 Louis Garneau CFS-300. They are a fantastic fit with a heat moldable upper and heel. They also have a heat moldable insole. I can't say enough great things about these shoes. Like the Sidi's they have an adjustable instep closure to be able to centre the top strap. They also came with a set of winter insoles designed to block the vents at the bottom of the shoe. Also included was a set of toe covers. They have an Audi like front vent that let an impressive amount of air into the shoe. In comparison to the Sidi's they are reasonably priced and I felt the build quality is better than most shoes.

geedawg

by geedawg

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to try a pair of Specialized out. . .hopefully both last year's model as well as this year's slightly narrower version. Will see what fits best. . .

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

certain models of specialized shoes come in wide widths. the pro road does (if you can find it). their top of line shoe does not, however.

mm2zz

by mm2zz

To be honest, if you are in a standard width Sidi and find it the most comfortable, then going to a mega Sidi will be to large. I would suggest going to the next half size up, so 42.5 as it would give you a little more volume and a little more width, which is what you seems to be after. You already said that Sidi is the most comfortable, stick with what works.

MaxDaddy

by MaxDaddy

civdic wrote:Yes, the Specialized have narrowed their shoes. I rode Specialized shoe for a few years and had great success with the fit. I have a wider foot, not too wide but I also have a high in step. I tried the Sidi 6.6 Mega and found that my heel would slip because of the larger heel cup. Even with the adjustment for the heel I couldn't get it to feel right. I tried going down a size in the Sidi's but they were too short.

I've tried a few different shoes and most recently bought a pair of 2012 Louis Garneau CFS-300. They are a fantastic fit with a heat moldable upper and heel. They also have a heat moldable insole. I can't say enough great things about these shoes. Like the Sidi's they have an adjustable instep closure to be able to centre the top strap. They also came with a set of winter insoles designed to block the vents at the bottom of the shoe. Also included was a set of toe covers. They have an Audi like front vent that let an impressive amount of air into the shoe. In comparison to the Sidi's they are reasonably priced and I felt the build quality is better than most shoes.

I just picked up a pair of the CFS-300, great deals on closeout. I'm a 4E and these work for me. I also wore the tri version, Tri HRS, with success.

mattydubs

by mattydubs

mm2zz wrote:To be honest, if you are in a standard width Sidi and find it the most comfortable, then going to a mega Sidi will be to large. I would suggest going to the next half size up, so 42.5 as it would give you a little more volume and a little more width, which is what you seems to be after. You already said that Sidi is the most comfortable, stick with what works.

I suspect as he stated:

geedawg wrote:the straps are only strapped halfway to 2/3s of the way before they get uncomfortable for me

That he has quite a wide foot.

Just to clarify, geedawg, have you tried any of those shoes in wide? From your post it sounds like you're just using the regular (medium) width models of all those shoes. I know that all of those companies do make wider versions but you are unlikely to find those in local shops. To mm2zz's point you might want to track down some Mega variety SIDIs.

Of course if you've already done all this and you're running out of options, forgive me.

geedawg

by geedawg

@mattydubs, like you suspected, I haven't been able to try any of those models on in wide. Nobody local stocks them. I suspect the Sidi Mega's may be my best bet, but I am unwilling to spend $400 on purchasing them before I try them on. Best bet to me is to try on last year's model of the S Works shoe. I have an old mountain bike Specialized shoe in 42 that was super comfortable and did not give me any issues, so am hoping that last year's S Works fits similar.

Will update when I get a chance to try them on!

mattydubs wrote:
mm2zz wrote:To be honest, if you are in a standard width Sidi and find it the most comfortable, then going to a mega Sidi will be to large. I would suggest going to the next half size up, so 42.5 as it would give you a little more volume and a little more width, which is what you seems to be after. You already said that Sidi is the most comfortable, stick with what works.

I suspect as he stated:

geedawg wrote:the straps are only strapped halfway to 2/3s of the way before they get uncomfortable for me

That he has quite a wide foot.

Just to clarify, geedawg, have you tried any of those shoes in wide? From your post it sounds like you're just using the regular (medium) width models of all those shoes. I know that all of those companies do make wider versions but you are unlikely to find those in local shops. To mm2zz's point you might want to track down some Mega variety SIDIs.

Of course if you've already done all this and you're running out of options, forgive me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com