Lemond looking at making bikes again

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

euan

by euan

Velofreak wrote:I wonder which one is next. Having said this, every time I see a Trek owner I identify him/her with a person who has absolutely no knowledge of cycling industry, otherwise they wouldn't buy them.

What a brilliant statement. Obviously women who have only been cycling for three years buy Treks.

kgt

by kgt

Velofreak wrote:List of bike brands destroyed by Trek:
- Klein.
- Gary Fisher.
- Lemond.

so true...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

just as Renault killed Nissan. they bought it, it's their right to do whatever they please with it. of course it's a shame with regard to the recent history of bike industry, but businness doesn't really add extra points for deserts and place in someone's heart, especially if wallets won't follow. so trek is either poor with managing other brands or it was a deliberate strategy. most folks don't know or care about behind the corpo courtain stuff, and choose the best product availible. that's why we buy Nike or Adidas even though the information about kids working in their facilities were 'common knowledge', and it's actually serious compared to Greg vs. Trek quarrel
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

CBJ

by CBJ

nathanong87 wrote:they need to bring back these paint jobs

Agree strange there has been less retro paint jobs. The car industry has done well with retro. They would be a good alternative to all the mat black.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Seems that the color brown in back in style for cars.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

sawyer

by sawyer

More brown bikes would be good yes.

I can see Trek dropping the Madone designation in the not too distant future as they distance themselves from their cheating sparrow.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Trek Madone - a bike that's won 10... wait..3...errrm... that was ridden in grand tours :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

KWalker

by KWalker

- Klein.
- Gary Fisher.
- Lemond.

I wonder which one is next. Having said this, every time I see a Trek owner I identify him/her with a person who has absolutely no knowledge of cycling industry, otherwise they wouldn't buy them.

I know a lot about the industry and worked in it and would gladly own a Trek. The only thing that made me order my SS Evo over a Madone was the price, but I'd rather ride the Madone.

I know about what Trek has done and don't care. Buy-out and eradication happens all the time in tons of industries. My morals don't influence my bike purchases because, lets face it, it won't make an impact on anyone's sales. If and when I ever started my own company I could apply a different ethos, but until then I want to buy what works well, looks nice, rides nice, and fits in my budget. Most people do as well.

I used to see Lemond bikes in the shop all the time and used on Craigslist quite often. Lots of people still own and love their Lemonds and its a more well-known brand than many others that are still in production. I could see it doing quite well.

I still think Lemond is one of the only clean cyclists of his generation. There were some very unique circumstances that precipitated his win and he experimented a lot in terms of positioning, aerodynamics, periodization, and altitude training.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

djconnel

by djconnel

I don't dismiss the importance of ethics in buy decisions but I don't see what Trek did as unethical. Buy-outs happen all the time, brands are retired due to duplication, etc. Cannondale was bought out by a big conglomerate, Specialized is chasing competitor product out of shops, etc.

If that's not your thing then get a Crumpton or Parlee.

jmh

by jmh

- Klein.
- Gary Fisher.
- Lemond.

You forgot Bontrager.

sawyer

by sawyer

I don't blame Trek for killing those brands either. Trek had the magic formula so to speak in the Lance era, but then look across at the success Specialized have had since then and you start to realise why orientating resources behind one brand might make sense.

I personally like high-end Treks but the geo doesn't work for me and they are overpriced IMO compared to say Canyons
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

jmh wrote:
- Klein.
- Gary Fisher.
- Lemond.

You forgot Bontrager.

Bontrager still exists and makes good stuff.
BTW a modern reincarnation of the classic KLEIN hardtails (adroit, attitude etc.) would be a huge success from a marketing point of view.
Last edited by kgt on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Loved the paint jobs on the Kleins.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mattr

by mattr

tymon_tm wrote:yep, there hasn't been. just like not that long ago (a year? few months?) no one would even doubt the integrity of 'past champs' (like Merckx, Indurain, Fignon etc).
:lol: you not been doing this cycling stuff long then?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

kgt wrote:
jmh wrote:
- Klein.
- Gary Fisher.
- Lemond.

You forgot Bontrager.

Bontrager still exists and makes good stuff.
BTW a modern reincarnation of the classic KLEIN hardtails (adroit, attitude etc.) would be a huge success in a marketing point of view.

Only as a name that Trek puts on their Far East produced accessories. SFA to do with Bontrager bar Keith getting his cheque each month, despite what the blurb on their website says about design.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com