"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Wiggins doesn't "peak" for long by definition of what peaking means in terms of periodization. Rather, Wiggins has a very specific target and all of his pre target races are pretty damn similar. All smaller races or 1 week stage races which he uses as tests. He skips all the shit that doesn't matter for his goal- classics, smaller races, etc. in favor of very specific training camps. This is not peaking, its making sure that your general prep period matches the exact capacities you will need to develop during your later phases. Almost all other endurance sports do this, but cycling's tradition of having some standard race schedule or number of races days has somehow prevented people from doing this. Contador does something similar and so did Evans. They also all seem to buck the trend of completely detraining and letting themselves go to shit in the winter and instead focus on consistent, long term performance and the fact that they do well early in the season is not a matter of peaking, but that they remain at a decent level because they spend more time training for their specific goals and less time sitting in the bunch or trying to race away winter weight.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeePaton

by LeePaton

I agree 100% it's the above mentioned who don't. I was merely comparing the two situations and how differently they are greeted.

Timo

by Timo

Aicar or specific targets or both, in the end it is simply what we want to believe. Mind, ten years ago it was exactly the same, with people who believed Armstrong was doping vs those who believed that he set specific targets (winning the Dauphiné and Tour du Suisse as part of his build-up to the TdF). Nobody knows which scandals will dominate the headlines in 2023 and which cyclists will be involved.
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

pastronef

by pastronef

http://twitter.com/tomdanielson/status/ ... 61/photo/1

new glasses for Danielson, same as Vdv

djconnel

by djconnel

Full tights are faster than knickers or shorts:

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Think those glasses are Smith Pivlock v2's, been out for a bit now
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Agreed. Probably the best glasses I've put on my head!

Velofreak

by Velofreak

Let's please not forget that in female cycling, the level is very low, as the number of women in competition is too low compared to man. Therefore such a powerful woman is not suspicious. Maybe if we had the same percentage of females racing as we have in man, Vos would be just an average professional racer. But because there are so few, she is brilliant. No need for doping.

If I´m a woman in a suitable age (23-25), I can start cycling tomorrow and in a couple years i can be regional champion, or similar. And you can do podium in cross country races just finishing those competitions. Easily. For man it's not that easy, therefore, peaking the whole season is more suspicious. not in female racing though.

Most female racers say the contrary, but it's not true: female cycling is very low level. That is the truth, no matter how much it may hurt them. Same as female soccer, and same as male syncro swimming.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

@ velofreak

- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That was a pretty damn sexist statement, VeloFreak, and even beyond that your statement is weak in merit.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, at least he didn't call her "fat".
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Wester-Ross

by Wester-Ross

@Velofreak

Pat McQuaid, is that you ?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

More waking up to reality...seems the Armstrong case is having a bigger effect outside of cycling than inside...the Aussies aren't so clean and fair after all
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21363100

Rob81

by Rob81

@velofreak
her W/Kg climbing numbers (and at Giro women they have a fairly number of climbs aka Mortirolo "easy" side, Stelvio even if she wasn't there that year) could easily embarass a good % of healty full commmitted/time involved men (u23 and even some pro); so it's not a comparison between her and some posers
Plus these numbers https://twitter.com/rebecca_slack/status/291280025230135296

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com