Would you?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

I own a set of mavic cosmic carbone slr exalith and are fitted to my c59 matt black,but i have a chance of some new zipp
404 firecrest clinchers.As per title would you keep the mavic or have the zipp? my mind keeps going over and over cant make it up.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Are you going to be able to get a deal on the Zipps?

markyboy

by markyboy

I have a deal on the zipps if i want them.
How strong are they compared to the mavic?
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

stang1

by stang1

I have had the pleasure of owning a pair of FC404 that came with my s3. It had the new 188 zipp hub. It's a pretty awesome wheel and very stable at high speeds, can't really fault them. But what turned me off was riding them in the wet and I sold them. Was using swisstop yellows at a descent, bike wouldn't stop rolling down at a speed I thought I would literally crash into oncoming side traffic at a T junction . I would say I did jam those super record brakes very hard , but it just wouldn't stop. Just informing you about carbon braking if you have had yet to try them. Otherwise, it's a very very nice wheel.

Then again.. I just jumped onto a bora ultra 2 purchase.. Back to square 1 :|

See if you can test ride those wheels, I'm sure there will be some avail for testing/demo.

markyboy

by markyboy

stang1 wrote:I have had the pleasure of owning a pair of FC404 that came with my s3. It had the new 188 zipp hub. It's a pretty awesome wheel and very stable at high speeds, can't really fault them. But what turned me off was riding them in the wet and I sold them. Was using swisstop yellows at a descent, bike wouldn't stop rolling down at a speed I thought I would literally crash into oncoming side traffic at a T junction . I would say I did jam those super record brakes very hard , but it just wouldn't stop. Just informing you about carbon braking if you have had yet to try them. Otherwise, it's a very very nice wheel.

Then again.. I just jumped onto a bora ultra 2 purchase.. Back to square 1 :|

See if you can test ride those wheels, I'm sure there will be some avail for testing/demo.

Thanks for the info,i had bora 2 really nice wheels but i had problems with spokes breaking.
I f you ever need any spokes i have a bora ultra 2 spoke kit for sale at half price.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

eric

by eric

stang1 wrote: Was using swisstop yellows at a descent, bike wouldn't stop

You would have gotten better braking if you'd used the pads that Zipp recommends.

ergott

by ergott

^
|

What he said.

nhluhr

by nhluhr

eric wrote:
stang1 wrote: Was using swisstop yellows at a descent, bike wouldn't stop

You would have gotten better braking if you'd used the pads that Zipp recommends.
Yep! The cork pads work great and the platinums work amazingly well.

jonnyBgood

by jonnyBgood

I think the braking also makes a difference in what you weigh.

I'm 190 lbs and had the FC303's and the Cosmic Carbone SLR's and the braking on the SLR's were amazing. I did have the cork pads with the FC303's.

The FC303's are a bit lighter but that wasn't as big of a deal for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stang1

by stang1

In my honest opinion, I preferred the swisstop yellows over the cork pads, it grips alot better than the zipp cork pads that was supplied to me, and they dunt wear as fast. Unfortunately I wasn't able to trial those cork pads in the wet, but supposedly what grips better when dry should grip better in wet conditions? I may be wrong though .