Look Keo vs Speedplay

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gordon

by gordon

Try these and your speedplay cleats will last for years.

http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aarw

by aarw

shimmeD wrote:I use a Northwave 3 to 4-hole adapter on Bont 3-hole shoes..

That works ok? As in, this one? http://www.probikekit.com/uk/northwave-speedplay-adaptor-kit.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=google_base_gbp

I'll be trying that out...

Burgunder

by Burgunder

shimmeD wrote:Pedals used in chronological order: Speedplay, Keywin, ShimaNo SPDR, Suntour/Time, straps a la Kelly.

You must be aching to try the Bebop pedals :D

Imaking20

by Imaking20

dereksmalls wrote:That's the first I've heard of someone coming out of Speedplays under hard efforts. Were you twisting your feet really excessively when doing the effort? Or were you puliing up really hard? I've never come out unexpectedly either twistin gor pulling up. I don't know how you could pulling up to be honest.

What was happening? What version of Speedplay were you using?

To be fair, I have several friends who ride Speedplay and they said the same thing.

It wasn't usually pulling up and I don't twist my feet a lot. I even tried adjusting the cleats a bit to allow my feet to spin more before release and it didn't matter. At least a handful of times I came unclipped were just regular pedaling - a couple times through a turn almost ended in tears.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

How heavy are you?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

aarw, that's the correct northwave product from pbk.

Overall it works fine, but the fit is not perfect. Undersides of Bont my size 39 shoes obviously not exactly same as the Northwave shoes (I didn't shim but you may have to), plus I cut up the triangular plastic pieces, drilled new holes etc.

Worth the effort to get rid of the otherwise obligatory Speedplay-supplied 3-hole to 4-hole adapter, for less stack.
Less is more.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Those Speedplay covers protect the outside of the cleats (including the fixing screws). The parts that engage cleat and pedal are actually well protected by design. Personally I don't use such covers, finding that it's time to replace cleats (too much play) before the outsides wear out badly enough (eg screw heads gone!). However if it makes any significant difference, I'm a small fella.
Less is more.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I use the speedplay steel for one year and the Look Keo blade 2 (16NM chromo) for a few weeks now. I have several bikes and on one bike I use Look and on the other bike I use speedplay pedals. I like both pedal systems but I think that the Speedplay is a bit more of a hassle. The Look pedals are great. No problem at all. You can easy walk on the cleats and they are cheap. The Speedplay cleats are expensive and slippery when walking. Besides that the speedplay system asks a lot of maintenance. If you don't grease after every ride or clean them I get a lot of noise from the cleats when cycling. The speedplay cleats are also difficult to clip in when there is dirt in the system. Too much grease on the pedal and cleats gives clip in or clip out problems. When I don't grease the pedals and the cleats I get klicking noices with every pedal stroke. Another problem with the speedplay cleats are the srews. When walking on the cleats the crews are damaged and difficult to remove them. Also the srews tend to get loose over time or after one ride. I see the possibility to improve the srews and cleats on this aspect. Overall I like speedplay for the looks and the function (clip in is great), but as I said it is a bit of a difficult system for maintenance and function.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

russianbear

by russianbear

I've got the same beef with Speedplay as Specialized, too heavy handed with their legal department. I raced some zeroes for a season and had to grease them too much for my liking, they started rocking eventually and the cleats were expensive. Switched to Time Xpressos, couldn't be happier.

Rick

by Rick

Me:
Straps=>Aerolites=>Keo Classic=>Speedplay=>Dura Ace=>Speedplay=>Keo Blade 2

All the criticisms and advantages of each system seem true to a certain degree, but they all seem to work very well actually. I still have a brand new pair of Speedplays and my good pair of Dura Aces in my closet because I am always considering going back. :thumbup:

I spent most time on Speedplay (10+ years) and never pulled out inadvertently. I also never had any bearings go bad. But I did get a small amount of rocking with worn cleats. I've used all the versions of speedplay. Again, all work just fine with minor feature differences.

Dura Ace is definitely the king of "bulletproof". but are heavy, and the float is very sluggish, even with the "float cleat".

Speedplay is the easiest entry and freest floating. Float is adjustable on the Zeros.

Keo Blade 2 is a good compromise: light, easy float, and wide platform. But fragile (documented in the separate Look Keo Blade 2 thread) and cleats occasionally squeak/groan. Odd entry that needs some getting used to.

If you are a very powerful sprinter and/or just want to never think about your pedals, go DA.
If your knees need light float, or you just want dead-nuts easy entry: speedplay.
I'm using the Keos, so I obviously think they are a pretty good combination. But they don't seem the best in any category. They are light, but things like the Aerolites and Xpressos are actually lighter.

Time also seems to have some advantages, but I haven't used them. I hear good reports.

superdx

by superdx

I've been using SPs ever since I started clipless, and I never have to look down to find my pedals to clip in. Compared to my friends who ride Look or Shimano (1 sided) they are always looking down and take 3-4x longer to get moving coming from a traffic light. It's kind of dangerous imo. I also love the float and the fact that the pedals don't scratch up my leg when I have to lift my bicycle going up stairs.

I've also never accidentally unclipped either, your legs must be *super* strong if that's happening to you. It takes some effort to get out of my Zeros, effort that I could not think of duplicating while normal pedalling, or even under power. Then again I'm not in the greatest shape!

Zak

by Zak

Ok, I thought that the Northwave adapter only worked with the North Wave Extreme shoes. Am I wrong?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

The NW adapter is not a straightforward installation; it can be modified to work.
Less is more.

Getter

by Getter

gordon wrote:Try these and your speedplay cleats will last for years.

http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Going to pick up a pair when I replace my cleats. They do a good job of protecting the metal base plate and screws...but the C-clip that holds the cleat to the pedal still wears. I had the clip on my left shoe (foot that I clip in and out of most) snap on a ride after about two years. Good thing I wasn't far from home.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Getter wrote:
gordon wrote:Try these and your speedplay cleats will last for years.

http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Going to pick up a pair when I replace my cleats. They do a good job of protecting the metal base plate and screws...but the C-clip that holds the cleat to the pedal still wears. I had the clip on my left shoe (foot that I clip in and out of most) snap on a ride after about two years. Good thing I wasn't far from home.

I tried those Keep On Kovers but lost one while at a pit stop. They do add a noticeable amount of weight too (as crazy as that might sound.) I replace my Speedplay cleats every year which is about 8-9k miles. I also try to alternate sides when clipping out at stop lights etc. to even out the wear. I do very little walking in my clipless shoes and try to put my heel down at lights first so I'm not scraping up the bottom of the cleat.