New Garmin Edge 810 and 510

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tomaz69

by tomaz69

NWSAlpine wrote:
tomaz69 wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:I'm waiting for my Wahoo RFLKT to ship. Already have the Bluetooth SC sensor. This is WW and the RFLKT is super light.

I was so close to ordering the 510 but no BTLE made me skip it for the next version.

Sorry to ask - beside lower consumption - why is BLE so much better? :oops:

BTLE/Bluetooth Smart is low power compared to normal Bluetooth but it's similar to Ant+. BTLE isn't really better than Ant+ it's just open and there will be an explosion of devices using BTLE. CES this year it seemed like everyone stuck Bluetooth into everything. Garmin owns Ant+ so they obviously left out BTLE because it's their last stand to try to block the huge surge of BTLE devices. In the end consumers loose when Garmin chose to not include BTLE.

Ok - but mainly lower consumption. Is this really such a big disadvantage??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Power consumption isn't the issue. The Garmins won't work with a lot of new devices going forward. At the current time it's not a huge deal but it may be different in a year or so. If I didn't have a 310XT I would still get the 510.

tomaz69

by tomaz69

Still do not get it - "will not work with a lot of new devices" - are you guys going out with a bike to train and ride or to chat, tweet etc? :oops:

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

tomaz69 wrote:Still do not get it - "will not work with a lot of new devices" - are you guys going out with a bike to train and ride or to chat, tweet etc? :oops:

It has nothing to do with phones. Powermeters and interactive trainers like the Wahoo Kickr. Eventually more companies will be using bluetooth in their devices instead of being constrained by Garmin's standards. The Garmin will not work with any of these devices.

ben88

by ben88

Has anyone used the new 810 for workouts yet? Having just moved over from the 800 to the 810 im a little suprised at the alert messages whilst you are in a workout and stray outside of the zone (HR or power or cadence etc). The alert message covers the entire screen making it impossible to read what power you are currently riding at and how many seconds you have left on that interval etc. Also the warning message takes far too many seconds to dissapear which is a real pain in a workout situation. Someone at Garmin didnt think this through very well!

Anyone know if you can switch off the workout warning messages or reduce the number of seconds they are displayed for?

mattydubs

by mattydubs

jmilliron wrote:If you just want your wife to know were you are while you're out on a long training ride, there are a number of smart phone apps that do that. Easier to use too.

The live Garmin Connect tracking only seems cool if you're doing some sort of crazy endurance race. Wouldn't even be interesting in a normal bike race unless everyone had it.

Except by using the GPS radio in your phone, the battery drains fast (even on an iPhone 5). LiveTrack just uses Bluetooth and the WWAN data network, which in testing (at least what I read) drains much less power.

ms6073

by ms6073

ben88 wrote:Anyone know if you can switch off the workout warning messages or reduce the number of seconds they are displayed for?
Yes, I think you can for the 800:

1. Select MENU > Training > Alerts
2. Select an option (Heart Rate Alert, Cadence Alert, Power Alert)
3. Turn off the alert for the applicable option
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Anders3404

by Anders3404

NWSAlpine wrote:
tomaz69 wrote:Still do not get it - "will not work with a lot of new devices" - are you guys going out with a bike to train and ride or to chat, tweet etc? :oops:

It has nothing to do with phones. Powermeters and interactive trainers like the Wahoo Kickr. Eventually more companies will be using bluetooth in their devices instead of being constrained by Garmin's standards. The Garmin will not work with any of these devices.

But Bluetooth smart is not a standard as the ANT protocol. There is no standard profile that defines how a powermeter data scheme looks like or any other devices for thai matter.

Some devices may support a given Unit while others won't. Theres a pretty good article on dcrainmaker regarding this issue

ben88

by ben88

ms6073 wrote:
ben88 wrote:Anyone know if you can switch off the workout warning messages or reduce the number of seconds they are displayed for?
Yes, I think you can for the 800:

1. Select MENU > Training > Alerts
2. Select an option (Heart Rate Alert, Cadence Alert, Power Alert)
3. Turn off the alert for the applicable option

Thanks but unfortunately those training alerts dont affect the alerts in the workout on the edge 810. :cry:

It gets worse as well. The history function cannot cope with opening a training session which has multiple laps. And today after my ride I saved the session, tried to view it in history, the garmin froze and deleted my training file. Not happy, will be calling garmin uk tomorrow.

markyboy

by markyboy

Thats not good let us know what they say.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

petal666

by petal666

ben88 wrote:It gets worse as well. The history function cannot cope with opening a training session which has multiple laps. And today after my ride I saved the session, tried to view it in history, the garmin froze and deleted my training file. Not happy, will be calling garmin uk tomorrow.

Happened to me the other day as well. Not impressed.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

petal666 wrote:
ben88 wrote:It gets worse as well. The history function cannot cope with opening a training session which has multiple laps. And today after my ride I saved the session, tried to view it in history, the garmin froze and deleted my training file. Not happy, will be calling garmin uk tomorrow.

Happened to me the other day as well. Not impressed.

I experienced on Saturday when I had to see my trip, with 4 laps the Return/Delete/upload line stood and blinked.

Another error at edge 810, is that if you mark location, the GPS position starting at home from, so 810 even adjust the elevation. So the disappearance of the postion again when the edge 810 has been off for a while and only Garmin 3 standard positions are in 810th.
See all my bike h e r e

petal666

by petal666

New firmware out for the 810. Seems that BT now works with android phones which was my biggest issue with it.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

petal666 wrote:New firmware out for the 810. Seems that BT now works with android phones which was my biggest issue with it.

Link please !

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collecti ... pID=112912
See all my bike h e r e

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Found it............ https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... -available

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:

Added activity based routing capabilities.
Added 'minimize ascent' routing calculation method.
Fixed issues uploading rides through Garmin Connect Mobile.
Fixed connection issues with Garmin Connect Mobile.
Fixed issues with display of weather data and alerts.
Improved display of current ride on map.
Fixed issues with course points and course lists.
Fixed shutdowns related to navigation.
Ensure auto power down prompt is shown prior to powering off.
Fixed shutdown when viewing About page with European City Navigator maps.
Fixed occasional lockup during startup on 'Loading Profiles'.
Fixed issues changing GPS modes.
Added prompt to inform user of elevation calibration to user location.
Fixed an issue with Locations not being saved.
Corrected shutdown when entering battery charge mode.
Made improvements to lap summary training page.
Fixed issue loading multiple tracks at one time from Basecamp.
Updated translations.
See all my bike h e r e

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com