kreitler rollers with free motion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Hi everyone, has anyone here success fully converted their kreitler rollers and added some sort of free motion to them, plus the side bumpers, please advice guys, really need to get this done asap, thank you as always

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Are you referring to some do-it-yourself modification? I am not aware of any such product, capability, or conversion being offered by Kreitler http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/kreitler/. Are you trying to convert Kreitler rollers into something like E-Motion (http://insideride.com) rollers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

yep, that was the idea

bricky21

by bricky21

I did it minus the side bumpers. Side bumpers would be really simple with a little bit of imagination. The front rollers are the hard part. I've posted mine on here a few times. If you search you could probably find them. I welded up a completely new frame, so I could use the killer headwind fan. You could just use your existing frame if you don't want the added resistance. Tons of diy free motions on you tube. Some better than others. What is it you need to know?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Well, I did the "conversion" a few years ago. I've had Kreitler rollers since the mid '80s. Then I bought E-Motion rollers and ride them instead of the Kreitlers. "Conversion" completed.

bricky21

by bricky21

Me too :mrgreen:

I'd like to see if I could drop True Trainer drums in my E-motion frame for the ultimate conversion.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

I wanted to see if any one did free motion that was worth it, i would hate to start this if you guys dont think its worth it,
I could skip the side bumpers but the free motion would be nice. I definitly cant afford the emotion rollers at the moment,
so the question is, should I leave them as they are, or convert them

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Try searching for (ie, Googling for) "DIY free motion kreitler"

You'll the results you're looking for, including instructions. There's quite a few pages of results for you to look at, variations on the setup, and so on.

Best of luck. :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bricky21

by bricky21

Convert them. They're much better with some fore/aft motion.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

OK, the project is on, LOL

thanks,

DIY free motion kreitler search worked great!

foofighter

by foofighter

I converted my fixed frame Nashbar rollers with about $50 in parts from a hardware store and some rollerblade wheels. I also added a platform and extra resistance with permanent magnets. I would say the free motion does add something, it makes it easier to ride out of saddle and even semi-sprint without coming off the rollers, but it will not improve your spin. If anything it compensates for the lack of smoothness by shifting the rollers to counter act your shifting Cg. However, it's easy to build it where you can have the benefit of fixed of free motion.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

I have no trouble riding it now, but I would like to be able to get up from the saddle and not have to worry about riding off

bricky21

by bricky21

It will be easier to ride standing up, but without the front and rear bumpers you could still ride off of them if your not careful. You can't explode out of the saddle. You can however gently stand up and stretch a little bit. E-motions are a whole different story. You'd really have to be a spazz to ride out of them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com