Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mentok

by mentok

hey blacktalon - can you link us to the profile design of that particular rim? also, was there any discussion of availability?

blacktalon

by blacktalon

New FarSports 25mm U Shaped Profile is attached, but I think someone posted it earlier.

We didn't discuss availability, but as is par for the course, he was trying to get me to buy soon. With the Chinese Holiday, I wasn't expecting anything to happen this month anyway, especially as I wanted to deviate from the (probably in stock and ready to ship) DT 240s.

Now I have to decide what I want first -- an FM098 or the wide clincher wheels as I thrashed my Easton EC90 Aeros to the point where my mechanics can't get the rear hub open to repair my broken spokes. I can always roll the current bike and/or the bulletproof Fusion Ultegras in the interim. And as its freaking cold outside, I guess I'm not in that much of a hurry.

BlackTaloN
Attachments
farsports_25mm_ushape.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

I finally heard back from Focus-Carbon about their 60mm carbon clinchers that are 24mm wide. The spoke holes can be custom ordered, internal or external, UD or 3k weave, and a 130kg rider weight limit, for $189/each. Here are some shots that I requested. Take a look ::

http://focus-carbon.en.alibaba.com/prod ... _520g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any Weenies with experience dealing with Focus-Carbon?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Hey - to add to the wide rim manufacturer discussion:

Has anyone heard of a manufacturer by the name of Xiamen Huiheng or doosports.com .... a 50 and a 38mm wheel 23mm wide ...

Contact is Alex .... came across through ebay ... anything?
Just ride ..

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

I really like the colors I can get with the focus wheels(red inlay on the sides). I also really like the reputation that farsports has going for them. Damn descisions
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

The warning sticker on the pics of the Focus Carbon wheels looks a bit odd.

Referring to the diagram showing how they should be laced up. I realize it isn't the best image. But, the directions on the warning sticker appear to be the exact opposite of how I was taught to lace a wheel.

Any feedback?

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Is there any 38mm depth U shaped tubular open mould rims being sold by a company with a decent reputation?

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

farsports, Huge thread on weight weenies about them. sem to be good results-David
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Im not sure farsports has any 38mm u-shaped rim available at this time

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

Those rim beds look pretty rough.

These rims aren't made using a mold with sliders. They are made by placing a dense rubber like material in the mold and then machining it out after the rim is removed from the mold.

It is much less expensive to produce a mold this way but the downside is that the rubber insert compresses in the mold resulting in less compaction and increasing the possibility of voids. Very often rims made this way will have lower tire pressure recommendations and the ability to dissipate heat is also compromised.

There's a reason why cheap Chinese rims are, well...cheap.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tharmor

by tharmor

Yikes. Thanks for that piece of knowledge.

tharmor

by tharmor

blacktalon wrote:For anyone looking for pricing information on the FarSports wide clinchers, I emailed Smart asking for more information and received the following.

25mm wide 50mm deep clincher wheels(basalt brake surface)
Superlight 50mm clincher wheels(25mm wide,new U shape,basalt brake surface) +DT swiss 240s hubs+Sapim Cx-ray spokes =
1470g(+/-30g)

The sample price is 853USD. Shipping cost is 75USD/Set to USA via EMS(door to door).

Knowing I don't really need the DT Swiss 240 hubs.... I inquired about other build options including the CX-Rays

Yes, we have Novatec hubs laced with Cx-ray spokes. Following are the details with different hubs.
1, With Novatec hub: 1480g+/-30g/Set, 570USD/Set
2, With Bitex hub: 1470g+/-30g/Set, 550USD/Set
3, With EDhub: 1420g+/-30g/Set, 600USD/Set

EDhubs is our customized hubs.It is only 260g/set but very durable.
It have 8pcs Enduro bearings which is more 2pcs than other hubs. And it have 6pawls in the rear wheel.

I hope this helps those of you trying to decide between the Wide FAR Wheels and the Yeoleos.

Have you (or anyone) been able to track down actual pictures of these wheels? Their website only has just the one shot of the width. Also, does FarSports use rubber in their moulding processes like BobDopolina mentioned above?

**Edit**

This is the only picture I've seen of the FarSports wheel ::

blacktalon

by blacktalon

tharmor wrote:Have you (or anyone) been able to track down actual pictures of these wheels? Their website only has just the one shot of the width. Also, does FarSports use rubber in their moulding processes like BobDopolina mentioned above?

**Edit**

This is the only picture I've seen of the FarSports wheel ::

Actually if you dig deeper into the farsports alibaba page, you get series of pictures of the build using the dt240s. I looked because of your question...

You want this product page http://farsports.en.alibaba.com/product/694363134-215961321/New_U_shape_Farsports_full_carbon_50mm_clincher_wheels_25mm_wide.html?tracelog=cgsotherproduct1

[img]http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/875/634/565/565634875_077.jpg
[/img]

The tire channel here looks much better than the one BDop posted.

winky

by winky

These open mold rims that you guys are posting pictures to aren't just wide, they are extra wide! They are are even wider than the popular HED C2 rims that are 23mm wide and that HED recommends using 23mm tires on.

Check out the CAD images of these rims. The outside width of these rims are 25mm wide. So, for optimum aerodynamics and performance you would have to use a 25mm tire, which is heavier than a 23mm tire. And isn't this place called Weight Weenies?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Most wide rims still perform better with narrower tires. FWIW my C2 rims which are 23mm O-O look best with a 22 tire like the Attack or R4Aero. When I had 23s on their they looked like 25s and they bulged beyond the wheel.