BMC Team Machine SLR01 (update 8/17/15, pg. 5)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

plpete

by plpete

This BMC SLR01 will be replacing my Cervelo RS. Personally, I think this is one of the best paint jobs BMC has done. Sleek, minimalistic and classy. Slowly I will update this thread with more info and of course weights :) The goal would be to have it under 15lbs which I think is attainable. At some point I plan to tear it down and do a complete list of all the parts with weights, as this is weigh weenies :lol:

Build list (to be updated):

BMC Team Machine SLR01 - 53cm
Sram Force Shifters
Sram Force Rear Derailleur
Sram Force Crank (BB30)
C Bear Ceramic BB30 Bearings
Rotor Q Rings (53/39)
Sram Red YAW Front Derailleur
PRO Evo Stealth integrated Bar and Stem (110mm stem & 42cm ergo bar)
Ciamillo Zero Gravity Brakes w/ Green SwissStop pads
Shimano Ultegra 12-28 cassette
Dura Ace 7900 C24 wheel set
Continental GP4000s tires
Specialized Romin Evo Saddle (155mm)
BeBop pedals

*In order to fit the Rotor Q Rings to the Sram Force BB30 crank a small mod had to be done to the large ring in order to clear the beefy arm. Pics and details coming soon...

...and some photos so far...

Last edited by plpete on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

paradawt

by paradawt

I love this frame mate.
Berria Belador 7

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

when you said BMC's best paintjobs I was expecting something more than joe blogs black
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

EKIMIKE

by EKIMIKE

He qualified it and justified it carefully. You should learn to read carefully.

Personally, I think this is one of the best paint jobs BMC has done. Sleek, minimalistic and classy.

Evidently you have nothing good to say about anything but Trek bikes. In that case, check out some of the awesome projects people have done on here with older models - comment on them rather than being incessantly negative and mildly derogatory about everything that is not Trek. You had nothing good to say on another popular forum, same goes here.

Sorry for digressing - back on topic. I like how these SLR01's are consistently the basis of many a nice, solid looking build. Look like this will be another. This is in no way a worthy comparison but sometimes there's a lot to be said for simplicity - ask Phillipe Dufour.

plpete

by plpete

Reading and comprehension is not everyones strong trait, but yes, as pointed out by EKIMIKE, it is my personal opinion. Usually things like design, looks and comfort are. If you looked at any of the recent paint jobs that BMC has had on their bikes you would understand where I'm coming from. They are all quite sleek and this one just happens to be one of my favorites. Ok, back on topic...

As I mentioned before, a small mod had to be done in order to fir the large Rotor Q Ring to the Sram BB30 crank. Since the arm has increased in size there was a clearance issue when fitting the ring.

After some research, I found out that the only way to get things to fit was to cut out a portion of the ring. The goal was to remove as little material as possible so that stiffness of the ring is not compromised. Also, its very important to be sure that you know and have the right setting in mind as performing this mod will limit your choices a bit. Since I have ridden on the 3 setting for about 2 years now I decided to stick with that. Below is an picture showing the marked area that was removed.

I used a dremel to remove the small piece and then finished things of with a hand file. That way I had more control and did not risk getting extra happy with the dremel :lol: Using the file, I rounded off all sharp edges so that they don't scratch the carbon on the crank. A tiny bit of the pin that sits right behind the crank arm also had to be filed of as it was touching. I was able to get the cut close enough so that you can insert a sheet of paper. I will probably apply a piece of clear tape in the area for further protection. Here is what the fit looked like:

Everything fit nice and snug.

and here is another image showing how little was removed:

After doing some riding on various terrain I will report if there are any flex issues. If anyone has the Aero version of the rings there should be no concern for flex as they are stiffer and removing such a small portion of material shouldn't cause any flex problems.

Thanks for the comments thus far and more to come....

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Why not buy proper and correct chainrings rather than this bodge job? hope this doesnt turn out to be a mess with the clearly "superior" frameset than trek's madone.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

plpete

by plpete

TrekUk wrote:Why not buy proper and correct chainrings rather than this bodge job? hope this doesnt turn out to be a mess with the clearly "superior" frameset than trek's madone.

Thank you and I appreciate your concern :thumbup: I actually own a perfectly fine set of Sram Red rings that I could use if I chose to but I much prefer the oval Rotor Q rings for my riding. I got the idea for this "bodge job", as you call it, from another member that has been running his modified rings successfully for about 2 years on his BB30 crank without any "mess". Nobody called the SLR01 a superior frame set to your Trek. You did :roll: But if you feel that it is then.... Thanks! :beerchug:

jbaillie

by jbaillie

plpete wrote:Nobody called the SLR01 a superior frame set to your Trek. You did :roll: But if you feel that it is then.... Thanks! :beerchug:

Oooo, burn.

Love the frame -- keep us posted as you move along.

plpete

by plpete

Thanks jbaillie.

I'm contemplating of changing the brakes to TRP960. I really like their design and industrial look and I think they will match the SLR01 perfectly. Today I should be getting new C-BEAR ceramic bearings pressed in at my LBS. I know there has been much of a debate about ceramic bearings. I personally know the C-Bear rep who is a really cool guy and have done a few rides with him + I like to support my LBS whenever I can. The bearings are supposed to be very tough and come with a full 2 year warranty so why not :thumbup:

I plan to take it out on its first ride this Saturday so I should have some photos of the finished build then. Then it will be just finishing touches.

plpete

by plpete

Did a 44 mile group ride today and put the bike through its paces. It was quite amazing. Very smooth ride. The stiffness was perfect and I really liked how snappy the bike felt. Sprints felt very solid. I felt like the bike really showed it's character when I was descending. Felt very confident and held its line through all the corners. I had the guys at my LBS throw it at the scale and this is what I got without trying:

This will easily be a sub 15lb bike. I don't plan to get too crazy with it as it still needs to remain ridable and reliable. I'd like to get some nice carbon cages (probably eBay) with a unidirectional finish. Undecided on the type so suggestions are welcome :thumbup:. After winter I'll also probably upgrade the pedal spindles to titanium. Lighter brakes (TRP960) might be in order too. I do have some light Ti skewers from BHS but had some creaking from the rear so for now I might stick with the beefier Dura Ace ones. Saddle is perfect as far as fit. If I choose to replace it at some point I will go with the same but carbon rail version.

Here is a shot right after the ride:

more to come...

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

plpete wrote: I'd like to get some nice carbon cages (probably eBay) with a unidirectional finish. Undecided on the type so suggestions are welcome :thumbup:.

Maybe not WW or Ebay but UD as requested...

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... id=0;pgc=0

plpete

by plpete

Those are pretty nice. Thanks! I've also been looking at these:

Valy

by Valy

Always liked these frames! Read elsewhere that cornering feels awesome - could it be down to the slacker head angle? Wonder why everyone is going with 73/steeper for most sizes as. I mean if this is good enough for TDF etc.
___

But yeah, very nice bike!

These pedals you have, have you tried speedplay before coming to them, or have they been with you for a looong time? Is there anyway to limit the float?

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

plpete wrote:Those are pretty nice. Thanks! I've also been looking at these:

I am not a fan of putting sub brands of another bike manufacturer on my bike. I would only put those on a Trek. I thought the Pro cages would match your Pro bar. Although I would only put a Pro anything on a Shimano equipped bike. Thats just me.......

1spd

by 1spd

good night! Some of you guys are just frickn picky! If it makes you feel any better the Pro cages will go with his DA wheels as pictured! Seriously though, if you like the cages frickn run them! I picked up two Specialized cages because the owner of a local shop gave them to me for 1/2 price. The down side is that they were white! So I sanded them down, hit them with a light coat of primer and then black, clear paint. Weight went up a couple of grams but they work great and now match. Can't complain about getting both cages for $44 really.

Oh, and as far as modding the rings! Kick @$$! I would have been ticked off if that happened to me but probably would have attempted the same thing (after doing some research first). Glad to hear that it is working. Hell you can't even see it once the bike is together unless you go looking for it! Good job! Not a bad weight either. Especially knowing that there is room to drop it further if you decide to do that.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com