Recommend a durable 29er slick tire

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

Looking for a durable 29er slick tire, doesnt need to be very wide. 28-30 would make it nicely.

The tire must be durable for tons of mileage and must be able to cope with gravel roads

Doesnt need to be light, only after something strong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kastrup

by Kastrup

What about some File thread cross tyres?
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Schwable Marathon Plus, Conti Gator Skin, Conti 4 seasons. Standard Road fair really.

devinci

by devinci

bm0p700f wrote:Schwable Marathon Plus, Conti Gator Skin, Conti 4 seasons. Standard Road fair really.

Would you care about tire size VS rim width?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

28mm wide tyres would be fins on many MTB rims. It only the really wides one like the velocity P35 that would be a problem . I presume the OP know that a 28mm tyre will be fine on his rims.

devinci

by devinci

well im the OP :D

I guess it would be fine, they'd be run on easton rims.

devinci

by devinci

Do you any any brand and model in mind for almost slick cross tires?

thanks

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Challenge Grifo XS Open: http://www.challengetech.it/products/cy ... pen-020/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But that only comes in 32 mm width.

Other Challenge options:
Paris-Roubaix 27 mm: http://www.challengetech.it/products/ro ... pen-016/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almanzo: http://www.challengetech.it/products/ro ... pen-030/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "open" versions are clincher tyres. I afraid I don't know about their durability. I've only used a pair of their tubulars (Limus) for one season of cross.

jooo

by jooo

Why don't you look at some touring tyres if you're after long life?

For example, there are a quite a few models made by Panaracer (sold under a few different brand names) that could be suitable.

At the 'heavy duty' end of the spectrum, Schwalbe make a few models that probably outlast many drivetrains :lol:

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Don't use real CX tyres if you are after something robust for many miles. They will wear down fast, and often compromise puncture protection for suppleness (good grip).

Conti's Gatorskin or 4 Season models should give you many miles, and are a bit faster than a real (heavy) touring tyre.

If you're adventurous and would like to find out how Challenge's new Eroica or Almanzo tyres are, I'd be interested in a review. I've been trying to collect some info about them in another thread ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109023&start=15 ), but the gravel season only starts in April here, as those roads are at some elevation.

(I've been riding 28mm 4 Seasons, and Open Grifo XS, so this is first-hand advice.)

leugene

by leugene

Not sure if they are really durable and also not really slick, but bought recently for asphalt riding Continental CycloCross Speed like these:

For durability I'd prefer some kind of schwalbe marathon dureme.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Similar question as OP... any good recommendation for a FAT and semi-slick 29er tire to use for a beach race. I am racing 60km on the beach this weekend. I was going to use Maxxis Ardent 2.4 tires, but they seem like overkill since the sand is almost as hard as concrete. I'm tempted to use my CX bike, but haven't confirmed if it is allowed or not.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

xnavalav8r, how fat? For hard packed beach sand, file-thread CX tyres like seem a fine match.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

That's what I am thinking. But I don't know if the entire 60km is packed hard or if I will encounter softer sand along the route. MTB tires may be the safer bet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com