Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

merlin6014

by merlin6014

Hey all so but the bullet and ordered a pair of 50mm clinchers. Can someone tell me do I need to buy rim tape and valve extenders or will these be supplied?

Also they shut down for Chinese new year from 5 feb to 18 feb, man mine better get shipped before then!!

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Does anyone have an idea on rider weight limit for these wheels? I have been looking at the 50mm and 60mm tubulars (mainly 60mm), but I weigh 200 lb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hiro11

by hiro11

I bought a set of the new 50mm clinchers with alloy braking that Kyle mentioned a few pages ago. They look very similar to the pre Firecrest 404 and have a similar toroidal profile.

Have not received them yet but I have to say Kyle was very responsive to my questions, professional and precise in his answers. He also have me a very fair price. Great service experience so far.

merlin6014

by merlin6014

Well mine have already shipped will do a report when i receive them. So far all interactions with farsport have been super fast.

micky

by micky

Does anyone have real weights for 88mm wheelset?

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

micky wrote:Does anyone have real weights for 88mm wheelset?

Micky, tubular or clincher? actually, the weight varies from different building solutions. the weight of rims, hubs, spokes matter much. Here i can give some clincher kinds for reference. 1620g/set +/-20g with ED/ED ceramic lightest, 1675g/set +/-20g with Novatec hub, 1670g/set +/-20g with DT240S hub. They are all with Sapim CX-ray spokes and Sapim sils nippls.
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

theremery

by theremery

Over 1000 km on the front rim now. I like it!
It is sturdy and still braking consistently. I had avoided the 2 hardest descents but have done the Dyers pass descent both sides at REAL pace on this rim multiple times now (even pulled a few late braking maneuvers on it last week). It's pretty squeaky under heavy braking but does brake well. There is plenty of braking power (and I'm on noodly kcnc CB1's) and modulation is quite acceptable in dry conditions. I'm now confident enough in these rims to give the final test to them. For those that know the riding round here that is "the bastard/Coopers" and the ultimate is "Port Levy saddle". I'm actually pretty confident it's going to come through well.
My skepticism is slowly being replaced by feeling quite impressed with this rim.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

how farsport can make a light and strong carbon clincher with alloy braking @1470g vs the others very good brand as zipp ...etc zipp 404 clincher is about 1750g.. the difference is huge.. and I know that, even if my weight is 175 or 200lbs, I can buy a zipp 404 without problem, but can I buy a farsport wheelset at 1450-1470g..??
Ninja

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The ZIPP 404 has a different shape, which adds a significant amount of weight at that depth. If you take a look at FarSport's new shapes (see other thread) with that same ~50mm depth, you'll see the rim weights go up by a bit.

Either way, no matter what you get - the ZIPP, the ENVE, the HED, or a company that doesn't use all caps such as FarSport - I think it's clear that we've found that quality carbon rims are out there and available. :beerchug:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

hiro11

by hiro11

ninjanoir78 wrote:how farsport can make a light and strong carbon clincher with alloy braking @1470g vs the others very good brand as zipp ...etc zipp 404 clincher is about 1750g.. the difference is huge.. and I know that, even if my weight is 175 or 200lbs, I can buy a zipp 404 without problem, but can I buy a farsport wheelset at 1450-1470g..??
I was quoted ~1,550g for the following build:
FSC50-CA rims (50MM, alloy braking), 3K matte
Sapim CX-Delta (seems to be the same as CX-Ray?)
Novatec A291sb/F482sb

EDHubs or Bitex would have saved a few (15-30) grams, apparently. Went with the (slightly more expensive) Novatec as they have a good reputation.

I'll weigh them when I get them. It does seem light for alloy braking, but not out of the realm of possibility. <1,400g with full carbon braking seems possible from Farsports.

merlin6014

by merlin6014

merlin6014 wrote:Well mine have already shipped will do a report when i receive them. So far all interactions with farsport have been super fast.

Hey guys received my wheels. I ordered the "superlight" 50mm clinchers. Ordered and paid Jan 30 and received them at my door in Australia on Feb 9 (so exactly a week) - how on Earth they got it to me in that time I don't know. They were packaged well and no damage I can see.

Anyway straight on the scales, front wheel is 602g and rear wheel is 739g (I paid the $40 extra for lighter hubs "edhub black"). So total weight 1341g. Given I was looking at a set of Dura Ace C24's which weigh 1364g I don't know how they manage to be lighter whilst having a 50mm depth but they do.

Would love to ride them but waiting on rim tape and a cassette tool (stupid me didn't realize I needed a damn tool) from Chainreaction so a review of how they ride will have to wait for now.

thprice

by thprice

Thought I would provide some initial feedback after purchasing Farsports 24mm FSL24-TM carbon rims. In short the experience has been a good to date.
- Communication from Kyle was good.
- Payment process was smooth.
- Delivery was fast and smooth.
- The rims arrived well packed and looked good upon inspection, claimed 260g +-10g per rim, actual for both was < 250g.

Build was:
Front: Farsports FSL24-TM rim, Tune Mig70, 20 spokes, Sapim CX-Ray radial, alloy nips
Rear: Farsports FSL24-TM rim, Tune Mag170, 24 spokes, DS: Sapim Race x2, NDS: Sapim CX-Ray x2, alloy nips
Weight came in at f410g + r554g = 964g

Building went smoothly. On the wheel truing stand, they rolled true, spokes tensioned normally, no issues noticed.
Currently 1000 km on them including approx 20,000 m vertical using Veloflex Extreme on front and Carbon on rear, all seems good. No brake rub when climbing, braking with Reynolds Blue pads is good, no squealing, no pulsing.
While the experience to date has been positive :thumbup: , it's the experience on the bike that really counts, I'll know this when I get past 5000 km ... that's a few months away :mrgreen: .

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Been reading through this thread and through farsports website. What is the difference between the "N" and "M" series?
I see then"n" is high performance and "m" being super light. Does this mean the super light is not as well performing/durable?

I'm really interested in the FSC38. Want a super light set but not if it compromises durability/strength/performance.

When picking out the finish ( glossy/matte or UD) does any of that have an effect on durability?

Which is the best hub to go with? I don't know much about wheels/hubs so is the ceramic hub better?
Last edited by Bianchi10 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

merlin6014

by merlin6014

merlin6014 wrote:
merlin6014 wrote:Well mine have already shipped will do a report when i receive them. So far all interactions with farsport have been super fast.

Hey guys received my wheels. I ordered the "superlight" 50mm clinchers. Ordered and paid Jan 30 and received them at my door in Australia on Feb 9 (so exactly a week) - how on Earth they got it to me in that time I don't know. They were packaged well and no damage I can see.

Anyway straight on the scales, front wheel is 602g and rear wheel is 739g (I paid the $40 extra for lighter hubs "edhub black"). So total weight 1341g. Given I was looking at a set of Dura Ace C24's which weigh 1364g I don't know how they manage to be lighter whilst having a 50mm depth but they do.

Would love to ride them but waiting on rim tape and a cassette tool (stupid me didn't realize I needed a damn tool) from Chainreaction so a review of how they ride will have to wait for now.

So first ride yesterday - tried to keep the pace to what I would normally do so to get a fair comparison. On a 20km TT that I regularly do I shaved exactly 60 seconds and added 1.7km/h to my average speed. The new wheels are VERY noticeable when going uphill and accelerating after a corner. feels like a different bike.

Of course you are probably more interested in reliability so I will report back in 6 months.

lyot

by lyot

I also received my wheels recently. Equally ordered the 50mm 'superlights's.. Haven't weighed them yet, will do that tomorrow.. Took about 10 days for them to arrive. Unfortunately, I got taxed an additional 80 euro's by local custums.. :(

Wheels look very good and are true.. As I'm sick for the moment, I have not yet been able to test them. Can't wait though..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com