Alternative grips for SRAM grip shift

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

by acmarta

I'm switching from triggers to SRAM XX gripshift and looking for alternatives to the heavy (80g) lock-on grips.
Are there good options that can compete with my old 19g Procraft that I used with the triggers? The problem is that these don't match well with the large diameter of the gripshift...
All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

by cerro

I'm using normal bar tape and it feels good, then you can get the thickness you want and is pretty light.
/jonas l (my cyclingblog)

by Weenie

by devinci

I use the ESI racer edge and they are very nice, the diameter is a bit smaller then the grip shifter, you would have a pretty perfect fit going with ESI chunky I think

by acmarta

Thanks for the replies.
At this point I'm considering either the ESI chunks or the Bontrager x-lite. Both seem to fit well, after cutting them down, with gripshifts.
Has anyone tried both?

by allezkmiec

I've tried both, and prefer the ESI grips. They have more grip while wet, and I think they provide a little more cushioning as well. The diameter is just right for grip shift too. Plus, so many fun colors!

by Zachariah

Bontrager Race X Lite is only 17g when cut to 92mm. However, they do NOT like dirt, excessive sweat, mud or crashing. Expect them to last about a full riding season, before they start slipping off the bars.
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

by kroe

ESI Chunky are a perfect fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

by Velofreak

so far, esi grips chunky is by far the best you can get with grip shift, and i´ve tried many many grips...

now there is an extra thick version, the extra chunky, but that would be a little bit too wide for gripshifts. racer edge esi are too thin. chunky is the best i guess

by Dilberto88

Bontrager RXXXL foam grips weigh 20g for the pair, cut down to 82mm.

by Weenie

by TheRookie

Holy thread resurrection......

I run KCNC/Porkrinds/Avenir AGG406 (all the same grip) cut down with my gripshifts.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956