HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Which Paved / Fire Road Clincher Tire
Poll ended at Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:01 pm
Vittoria Open Pave 24mm 69%  69%  [ 11 ]
Michelin ProRace2 25mm 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Continental GP4000 25mm 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Vittoria Open CX 25mm 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 pm 

I guess it all depends on your definition of dirt and/or gravel roads... Right now, most of the dirt roads here in the DC area are pretty smooth. Come spring, they're going to get re-graveled and then riding on em on road tires won't be all that fun. :nah

Me? I'm on some 28c Gatorskins at the smallest and more usually on some 34c Racing Ralphs. I AM on cross bike(s) when I'm riding these tho, that may make a difference. Buddy of mine has Michelin Jets. They seem to roll faster than my RR-s.

I *should* be out riding dirt roads for 4hrs today, but its about 20deg F out and the wind is howling. The couch monster and its evil minions 'the Screw-its' are attacking.

M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:31 pm 

They've already been mentioned, but Tufo C Elite Ride 25's. The tubular-clincher model. You can load them with sealant (they work better than clinchers for this since there's no tube) for thorns/glass, and they are as resistant to pinch-flatting as any tubular, perhaps more so because of the lack of a tube. The result is you can run them at way lower pressure than any clincher, meaning a better ride and better traction on dirt and gravel.

I use these for training, my team (we all race road and cx) often take dirt/gravel roads on our training rides. I can absolutely crush on these because of the 25mm size and the lower pressure. I often run them at 50-60psi, try that on a clincher on a dirt/gravel road and you'll pinch at any kind of speed.

My point being, the advantages of running lower pressure more than make up for the lack of a supple casing, and the extra grams. They're not cheap, hard to find for under $79 per tire, but I find the on/off road performance for my riding to be worth it.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:31 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:56 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quote:
My point being, the advantages of running lower pressure more than make up for the lack of a supple casing, and the extra grams.

That sounds contradictory to me.
You can have lower pressure, more supple casing hence lower crr and less weight in a single tyre.

Ciao, ;)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3