"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

fletch62 wrote:Adam Hansen has been using 38cm bars for a couple of years now. At one stage i think he tried 34 or 36cm.
His position must suit him because he was the first Australian to ride all 3 tours last year, so it still gets him over the climbs as well as do all the work on the front.

dont some pros [ie cavendish] have like their bikes (plural) setup for mountains and flat lands? Cav's stem isn't slammed when int he mountains and handlebars up turned even more than usual. i'd like to think that he'd want the hands on the tops for the hillier stages where he isn't needed on the front. not saying this is what hansen is doing, but he doesn't necessarily have to ride that setup everywhere

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Question about both Hansen and Canc's set up, how do they:
1.Avoid hammering their rib cage with their knee's/thighs?
2.Generate so much power from a hip angle that looks decidedly closed?

Personally, I can rotate my pelvis as such and found it be a decent feeling but I run into issues with my knee's hitting my ribs and my hips basically being shut off
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Hip angle doesn't necessarily have anything to do with power transfer unless you believe Andy Pruitt.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Ghost234

by Ghost234

Hip Angle does have quite a bit to do with power, but with proper training in aero position (especially TT bike) you can reduce the effects.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

The answer would be to stop looking at pros or other people on copying how they fit their bike and concentrate on fitting your own bike by seeing how it best works for you.
Fitting a bike is a yearly exercise for some and others could be every 3 or 5 years.
You will find out which position is right based on what you will do with the bike, your fitness, and your age.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

AGW

by AGW

KWalker wrote:Hip angle doesn't necessarily have anything to do with power transfer unless you believe Andy Pruitt.

I don't believe just about anything Andy Pruitt has to say, but an anteriorly rotated pelvis has everything to do with glute activation. This isn't just a fact of cycling, either. This is the foundational form approach for all power sports.

Rob81

by Rob81

djconnel wrote:Sure, there's examples of some remarkable recoveries during the late 1980's (Roche, LeMond) so perhaps transfusions were part of the mix.

Roche was mentioned as a Conconi client (blood transfusion) in Donati's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandro_Donati) last book.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

McQuaid calling in his IOC buddies for help against WADA.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid ... -with-wada" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to call on the rest of you corrupt bastards to help this corrupt bastard fend off WADA, ok?

djconnel

by djconnel

AGW wrote:The similarities are pronounced.

Gerard is not impressed.

Then again, Adam Hansen isn't sprinting for the win so often.

KWalker

by KWalker

AGW wrote:
KWalker wrote:Hip angle doesn't necessarily have anything to do with power transfer unless you believe Andy Pruitt.

I don't believe just about anything Andy Pruitt has to say, but an anteriorly rotated pelvis has everything to do with glute activation. This isn't just a fact of cycling, either. This is the foundational form approach for all power sports.

You can still have a very closed hip angle AND an anteriorally rotated pelvis, which is my point and the case for the pros above.

Last time I checked although knowledgeable, Gerard Vroomen isn't a very good bike rider, hasn't won a lot of races himself, nor was he too successful at helping run a team. The fact remains that these riders still do their jobs extremely, extremely well and until any position completely affects them from accomplishing their tasks we're all just bullshitting over nothing. Its impossible to isolate 1 factor for good or bad results so I don't see any use in trying to say "X would have won this if not for fit"
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

djconnel wrote:7.68?

Yes, I was surprised at that. I was trying to think where the "extra" weight was and it must be the frame to make it "Jens Proof".
The Pro bikes that have been featured recently have been decidedly unWW and not close to the 6.8 limit.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

SolidSnake03 wrote:Question about both Hansen and Canc's set up, how do they:
1.Avoid hammering their rib cage with their knee's/thighs?
2.Generate so much power from a hip angle that looks decidedly closed?

Personally, I can rotate my pelvis as such and found it be a decent feeling but I run into issues with my knee's hitting my ribs and my hips basically being shut off

1. I only run 8cm drop to my hoods but spend a decent amount of time resting on my forearms. My legs come up close to my rib cage but with decent posture it's never been bothersome. Of course, I'm slow - not pro
2. Ever done a leg press in the gym? (Honest question. Not supposed to sound belittlling.)

djconnel - I'm guessing he's got 1.2-1.5kg of lead in that thing. Overkill.

KWalker

by KWalker

Its a size 60 bike, with a (heavier) SRM, lots of paint, a non-ww saddle, alloy bars, non-ww stem, and wheels aren't super light either. I can see that being about right.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AGW

by AGW

KWalker wrote:
AGW wrote:

You can still have a very closed hip angle AND an anteriorally rotated pelvis, which is my point and the case for the pros above.

Last time I checked although knowledgeable, Gerard Vroomen isn't a very good bike rider, hasn't won a lot of races himself, nor was he too successful at helping run a team. The fact remains that these riders still do their jobs extremely, extremely well and until any position completely affects them from accomplishing their tasks we're all just bullshitting over nothing. Its impossible to isolate 1 factor for good or bad results so I don't see any use in trying to say "X would have won this if not for fit"

Touche, I'll conceded the point. I'm missing what Vroomen has to do with this though. I personally don't care for Cervelo geometry nor do I think it lends itself to the kind of position I was referring to.