alternative of 404s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

project3

by project3

its always my dream to own a set of 404 and now i have to Seattle down for an alternative to 404 due to budget issues. Seeking for opinion and suggestions. I owned a set of fulcrum racing zero now.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Look into a set of Bontrager D3 wheels. They look really nice, solid hubs and seem to be liked by nearly all the guys that ride them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie13

by Frankie13

How about some HED Stingers 4s or 6s? I had lots of carbon tubulars but non of them rode as smooth as my Stingers. I just got some for my friend and he came of 404s and Madfibers and he loves his Stinger 6 better then all the others had as well.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I second the bontrager, but if it's budget issues I think they're about the same.

What I did did out recently is that you can get Easton's from authorized "dealers" on eBay for $1200 dollars, clincher or tubular. The dealer part means you get your warranty.

For the money I would go with those, I have heard that the quality is good and the difference in price doesn't reflect the difference in quality meaning they are not $1200 wheels. More like a slight tier below zipp.

Something about they don't run a tight ship with their supply line, whatever that means, probably that eBay uses found a way to get them cheap in quantity. Check those out.

Geoff

by Geoff

Stingers rule...

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Boyd wheels (boydcycling.com). The new 2013 ones appear to be well thought out, contemporary aerodynamic shapes and probably 99% as good as Zipps for half the price. He has some 2012 leftovers (traditional V shaped carbon rims) dirt cheap. Probably 90% as good as contemporary Zipps for 1/3 the price. Revolution wheelworks a very similar outfit (and great supporter of the Pennsylvania race scene) with some excellent wheels at good prices.

BmanX

by BmanX

Totally against WW lifestyle but FLO wheels are 99% as aero as the Zipp's but 35% of the price. If you want aero go Flo.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by 113245

Neuvation seems to be coming out with an aero rim soon that is also very close to the 404s and will probably be significantly cheaper. I think it's called the Rail, if I remember correctly.

shjames96

by shjames96

It is november that is coming out with the rail. http://www.novemberbicycles.com/rail/

NGMN

by NGMN

Why did you want 404s? Looks? Aerodynamics? All arounders(semi light, aero)? Tubulars or clinchers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com