58cm Cervelo R5 vwd build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jmorgan

by jmorgan

welkman wrote:I need to order bars and stem. I am thinking ergonovas in the blacked out stealth with the matching stem; what do you think? I could go for the red 'team' striped one as well. Rotor 3d Cranks have arrived along with Q rings :) Next I need to get my read mech, shifter and cassete, Should I go for classic or black edition? Red brakeset or planet x?

So many choices.

:shock:

Ergonovas blacked out (I have the red one on my S5), I would go black edition SRAM red and new red brake set or some black Ciamillo Negative GSL if you want something different around the same price.
2012 Cervelo S5 Team

welkman

by welkman

Cool, just got my crankset on the scale at 667 g with q rings. Going to speed up the build by selling one of my other bikes, probably my Jake cross bike (a bit too large) and either my Ribble or my CAAD 8. Will look into the brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thencameyou

by thencameyou

don't sell the CAAD! (I had one, sold it, regretted selling it and bought another one...)
looks like it's going to be a sweet build (and my size too!)

welkman

by welkman

Update :)

welkman

by welkman

Slow progress, Red shifters on the way, ergonova stealth and arx stealth cockpit on the way, DSP 2.5mm black bar tape, and fibrelight topcap also coming this week.

As is with massive training wheels and ultegra cassettee its 5.4kg.

Quick releases are pants so looking for some recommendations on that.

The further the build goes the more I Zipp 202 and natural sidewall tubs mmmmm.

welkman

by welkman

New stuff :)

Bars seem heavy, the shop claimed 180g !

Pump is pretty cool as well, had two a gas catridge freeze a valve open the other day so it's back to manual .

welkman

by welkman

Built up, still waiting on ti spindles for the speedplays. Had a couple of hours on the turbo but no joy with getting outside due to snow and Ice :(

Built up with my wife's wheelset and not my 50mm tubbies which will mount the veloflex carbons. Veloflex comes with instructions for one coat on the tub and one on the new rim after sanding. This seems a bit light to me?

anyway here she is:

jmorgan

by jmorgan

Looks great. What's the final weight?
2012 Cervelo S5 Team

welkman

by welkman

Will find out for you later :D

bura

by bura

the claimed bar weight is correct but for the LTD version of the 3T.
bike looks good.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

welkman

by welkman

All up with the wheels pictured its 6.1kg we will have to see what it pops out at with the 50mm and veloflex when I mount them. The bike seems great, rode a 25mile TT today and it went well despite the conditions being crap. I am racing it next weekend so I will give you a better idea after that.

Changes from pictures:

Fiberlyte topcap and stem slammed, may need to go for -17degree stem or 130mm rather than the 120mm I have.

welkman

by welkman

Well first race today in -1 to 0 Degrees centigrade. Full on Crit, slightly hilly course, loads of wind and snow. The bike was amazing; fitted my new lightweight 50mm tubs with veloflex carbons and I think I had enough grip to get my knee down in the wet! I think I came 7th thus moving up to Cat 3.

My verdict, the bike seems mediocre on normal rides, training etc. but in a full on race >24mph it is awesome. It corners on rails and picks up speed like a beast. When I say its mediocre on normal rides, what I mean is that it doesn't show it's quality unless it's really pushed, but boy does it respond when you want it too. Big smiles!

welkman

by welkman

New wheels and tubs. Getting used as intended!

-1 to 0 degrees in sleet/snow