New Garmin Edge 810 and 510

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I'm waiting for my Wahoo RFLKT to ship. Already have the Bluetooth SC sensor. This is WW and the RFLKT is super light.

I was so close to ordering the 510 but no BTLE made me skip it for the next version.

markyboy

by markyboy

I ordered a 510 but cancelled and bought 810 :D
just need to play around with it for a bit and see what happens
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie13

by Frankie13

markyboy wrote:I ordered a 510 but cancelled and bought 810 :D

Why did you decide to switch to the 810 if I'm allowed to ask?
I just returned my Joule GPS to CC and using my older Joule2.0 at the moment together with my Power2Max powermeter. I really would like to get a SRM PC7 but this one doesn't show all the data I would like to see during intervals and you can not change the screen set up.
I never had or used a garmin unit but wouldn't mind to give it a try.

markyboy

by markyboy

Frankie13 wrote:
markyboy wrote:I ordered a 510 but cancelled and bought 810 :D

Why did you decide to switch to the 810 if I'm allowed to ask?
I just returned my Joule GPS to CC and using my older Joule2.0 at the moment together with my Power2Max powermeter. I really would like to get a SRM PC7 but this one doesn't show all the data I would like to see during intervals and you can not change the screen set up.
I never had or used a garmin unit but wouldn't mind to give it a try.

I wanted maps for when i travel to france.
As per data it shows lots,yet to use it yet i will use the weekend.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

tomaz69

by tomaz69

NWSAlpine wrote:I'm waiting for my Wahoo RFLKT to ship. Already have the Bluetooth SC sensor. This is WW and the RFLKT is super light.

I was so close to ordering the 510 but no BTLE made me skip it for the next version.

Sorry to ask - beside lower consumption - why is BLE so much better? :oops:

LVGH

by LVGH

The price difference between the 800 and 810 is beyond belief here in NL. I just bought an 800 because the cheapest 810 was €170 more expensive (65%)!

petal666

by petal666

The 800 is an old model, it's getting dumped. Of course it will be much cheaper.

LVGH

by LVGH

Surely that's common practice, although the 800 prices haven't dropped significantly yet in Western Europe. I'm just surprised there are people actually buying the 810 at this price difference. I might have considered it if it were 30€ more expensive or so. May be different in other countries of course.

petal666

by petal666

I bought my ticket 800 at release over 2 years ago, sold it last week for $180 less than the 810. $90 a year I'm happy with.

milroy

by milroy

I was waiting to upgrade my 705, but when the 810 specs came out - almost the same unit with only weather, some wireless connectivity via an old BT std, I bought a 800 instead.

Couldn't see the value in paying a premium for features I didn't need.

If they had updated the ff and screen, it may have been different.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

GPS is updated in 810 and is faster to find the satellites than 800 is.
See all my bike h e r e

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

tomaz69 wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:I'm waiting for my Wahoo RFLKT to ship. Already have the Bluetooth SC sensor. This is WW and the RFLKT is super light.

Sorry to ask - beside lower consumption - why is BLE so much better? :oops:

BTLE/Bluetooth Smart is low power compared to normal Bluetooth but it's similar to Ant+. BTLE isn't really better than Ant+ it's just open and there will be an explosion of devices using BTLE. CES this year it seemed like everyone stuck Bluetooth into everything. Garmin owns Ant+ so they obviously left out BTLE because it's their last stand to try to block the huge surge of BTLE devices. In the end consumers loose when Garmin chose to not include BTLE.

djconnel

by djconnel

There's always the 4iii Heart Rate Strap to convert between ANT+ Sport and Bluetooth, I suppose. It also is a low-weight option to record power & HR data without the additional mass of a head unit and mount.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

djconnel wrote:There's always the 4iii Heart Rate Strap to convert between ANT+ Sport and Bluetooth, I suppose. It also is a low-weight option to record power & HR data without the additional mass of a head unit and mount.

Wahoo has a second version of the RFLKT that will come out later that has the same ability to gather Ant+ and send it to a BTLE device. The new RFLKT will also have barometric altimeter for altitude.

milroy

by milroy

Tillquist wrote:GPS is updated in 810 and is faster to find the satellites than 800 is.

I'm not saying you are wrong. But if you are referring to GLONASS, that is only on the 510, not the 810.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com