Tapeworm’s Log to Esteemed Masters Mediocrity

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Probably a negative on the handicap races. I don't like them in the slightest.

Re: TT position/speed. Aggressive does not equate aero. A lot of little things can make huge differences. Happy to have a look at positions etc.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Great thread tapeworm. I'm curious about your erg work.

Do you have any thoughts on the value of vo2max work on the erg? How do you find your power zones relate between cycling and rowing?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

The erg work was a staple when I was more focussed on the BBJ conditioning. I found that power from cycling to rowing corresponded reasonably well, the rare times I tested on the bike it was almost always ~10watts behind, e.g.: 275 for 5mins on the rower and I could do 265 on the bike. However I was doing a lot more rowing erg than cycling, so this isn't surprising.

As for the VO2max work I have read somewhere that someone postulated that VO2max is better done as a "whole" body exercise but at the end of the day specificity reigns in my mind. As a substitute for whatever reasons rowing is an excellent exercise.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Dalai

by Dalai

What interests me is someone who vehemently dismisses off bike training and says to focus on training on the bike in fact does quite alot off the bike... :noidea:

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing other activities. I think its great people do what they enjoy.

What is "wrong" is trying to think or claim that the BJJ really helps my cycling. Or that the weight training really gave that FTP a real kick. I enjoy BJJ, I enjoy weights and other training. And I do them. I am under no delusions as to what they are or more precisely what they are not doing for my cycling.

Didn't think it was that hard to comprehend.

devinci

by devinci

obsolutely

the key part with all the weight and cross-training crap going on with cycling relies in what you think it does to your cycling. People are just plain wrong and keep trying to cinvince themselves all those activities are helping their cycling.

But lets not disgress on that boring debate, more numbers please!

:up:

claus

by claus

A follow-up question about the 20min power:
current: 228W
goal: ~320W

Is such a huge difference common for racers? That's a 40% increase. Asked from a different perspective: why is the current value so much lower? Are those variations "normal"?

chipomarc

by chipomarc

Tapeworm wrote:Absolutely nothing wrong with doing other activities. I think its great people do what they enjoy.

What is "wrong" is trying to think or claim that the BJJ really helps my cycling. Or that the weight training really gave that FTP a real kick. I enjoy BJJ, I enjoy weights and other training. And I do them. I am under no delusions as to what they are or more precisely what they are not doing for my cycling.

Didn't think it was that hard to comprehend.

Time to stop ALL offseason cross training and keep to the bike.
Leave the gym to all those ugly weight lifters and fat exercisers.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

@claus not sure if I quite understand your question. My current 20min power is so low because I have practically zero bike training in about 6 months and prior to that it was sporadic at best and only for mtb. This is something of a "return" to racing and the 320 ftp is my predicated obtainable power needed to do a "decent" time trial.

@chipomarc unless I quit my current job the weight lifting stays. 8)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Cheetahmk7 wrote:We usually have quite a few Canberra boys and girls come across to do the Tour de Riverina as well as the various opens we have in the Riverina.

TW might not be keen, but you have my attention.

And 'tut tut' for not liking handicaps TW, they're essentially a TTT. Perfect!

Aussiebullet

by Aussiebullet

+ 1 on the hadicaps I luv'em

same goes for the Tour de Riverina, great people and courses looking farward to this years events, and by memory scratch never got up at all last year which was nice.... unless you rode off scratch of course! :mrgreen:

Cheetahmk7

by Cheetahmk7

Tinea - The Tour de Riverina is a six race series held over six weekends so may not be ideal from Geelong, but you may want to consider the Wagga to Albury. This is my favorite race for the year and I treat it as my 'A' race. I really love the concept of point to point races and there aren't too many left on the calender that don't require you to be an NRS level rider. The route avoids all the main roads and takes you through some very quiet and picturesque countryside. Having just four bunches of around 20 to 30 riders combined with a rolling terrain makes for a nice fast and safe race that is rather challenging and great at building a sense of camaraderie amongst your bunch.

Aussiebullet - I will be sure to see you at some of the races although I may miss a few as I have a baby due in a few weeks time. I'm Rohan C. by the way so you may already know me.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Many thanks Cheetahmk7 :thumbup:

Aussiebullet wrote:and by memory scratch never got up at all last year which was nice.... unless you rode off scratch of course! :mrgreen:

Dammit :(

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Lots of changes blah blah blah.

Week 4:

Mon: Testing day. Went balls out for this one - 20mins at 257 watts. Happy with that. Pretty spent so followed up with one 5min effort at 250watts.

Tues: Did some lifting with a coach to help fix up some form issue with the power clean and squat. Result was adding 5 kgs to the PC and doing it for a triple. Sweet! BJJ was nearly 90mins of rolling, lots of fun. Downside....

Wed: Could barely move today, DOMS was epic in proportions. 20min spin at zero watts I think. Ouch ouch ouch.

Thursday. Weights (very light!) and 3 x 3mins. Seriously, which sadistic bastard invented these? Not power, was using spin bikes unfortunately. BPM 171, 173, 174. Followed up with some "hard" recovery. Sauna/plunge pool/water walking/stretching/massage.

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Storms and rain outside and bloody freezing for an Australian Summer (10 degrees!). 1 hr tempo on the trainer 233 watts + 2 x 4min efforts @ 252, and 250 watts.

Progress still. The "program" remains (or the vague semblance of one).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

11% up on 20 min power in under a month :up: