Winter build: New (to me) Colnago EPS Di2 specific

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

klingej

by klingej

Hi All,

I know, there are about 400.000 black-on-black Colnago's on this board and most of them are absolutely amazing! Also, most of them have cost an arm and a leg. This is a bit different in that the complete Di2 build will wind up around 4400 USD, which to me seems rather modest in this context, so I thought it worthwhile to do a write-up of the project. You're of course welcome to comment and come up with suggestions.

I've long (well always) wanted a Colnago and did especially like the EPS - something about those chainstays..but since a colnago frame with a build to match would be twice the cost of my car (admittedly a piece of junk) I've never had the opportunity - until now. I found a 2011 Colnago EPS Di2 specific frame in my exact size on ebay and won the bid at around 1/3 the price of a new frameset.From here it would have been easy to blow the bank and do a very expensive build, but since this is a winter project and I'm in no rush to finish it I decided to do a build exactly as i wanted - with the additional aim of not paying full retail for any part... so a sort of high-end (high end to me that is) budget build.

I'll update the thread with pics as the parts come in

Frameset
Colnago EPS Di2 specific, size 50s.

So why sloping? Well i'm 177 cm with 77 cm inseam - which means that my legs are extremely short compared to my height. On a normal geo frameset my post would be embarrasingly small. Ahem.

Wheels
All black Mavic R-sys SLR WTS, destickered (removed the yellow Mavic stuff). Because they look cool. Even if they loose the black anodization of the brake surface first time they're out in the rain. And I had them beforehand.

Challenge criterium skinwall tyres & Michelin latex tubes.

Carbonsports Lightweight Titanium QR

Drivetrain
Well some would say that Campagnolo would be the only 'correct' groupset on a colnago. I beg to differ for a couple of reasons:

- I'm not too fond of the aesthetics of the Campy EPS groups. The derailleurs look like mekano-sets and that big-ass control unit battery can't be properly hidden anywhere (on a bike at least).

- Campy EPS is just laughably expensive. Ha.

- I got hold of a lightly used Di2 groupset 7970 very cheaply. I actually like the loks of that group compared to Campag EPS and it has the added advantage compared to Campy EPS (and eTube Shimano... at least before 9070, but that battery is not in the wild yet) that you without too much fuss can hook up with a seatpost internal battery. So I've ordered one on ebay.

Cockpit
The weak spot for now... until 3T releases the Tornova i'm using a Thomson 100mm 10 degrees inverted stem and a 3T Ergonova bar. Also, I had that beforehand.

Misc
Moots King Cage Titanium bead blasted

Pics

Frameset

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lig

by Lig

Hi Klingej,

It has all the makings of a good build - I cant believe the cost though - thats nearly the retail price of the frame alone - Well done. I will look forward to seeing the finished machine.... and when you say 'Winter build' you dont mean a new winter bike do you :lol: ??

Lig

CBJ

by CBJ

Frame looks amazing the build is brilliant and a master piece of a price - tillykke!

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice (the mid-century, Danish modern). Cute kid, too.

Oh, yeah. The Colnago EPS is fabulous, a favorite Colnago in my collection. Great choice.

nijinsky510

by nijinsky510

Frame is very very attractive, but it seems too large for the boy, I think.

michel2

by michel2

Good score !!
Chuck some britghly coloured hbar tape in if u wish to stand out !(;

klingej

by klingej

Thanks for commenting!

@lig: I think it'll be closer to 4500 USD actually. Have attached a pic of the parts prices, although i must admit that I've cheated a bit; i had some of the components beforehand, most notably the wheelset:

And no, I'm happy to say I don't mean a winter bike - I've got an old Look 595 for that job, which it does quite nicely.

@CBJ: Tak for det :-)

@Geoff: I assume you men the Wegner Shell Chair in the other room - if so, thanks! It's surprisingly comfortable even if it doesn't look it. The kid's okay too - he's demonstrating a newfound interest in bikes by chewing on whatever bikepart he happens to get hold of :-)

@nijinsky510: his reach is surprisingly long. He seems to be able to grab hold of the most unlikely of things so I think it's just a matter of having the bike properly fitted to him.

@michel2: Yeah, i though about that, but i think that with the skinwall (tan sidewall? tanwall?) tyres it'll be a bit much with colored tape as well?

klingej

by klingej

The parts have started trickling in so the build is coming along. The tan sidewalls work better than anticipated. I was a bit worried that using low profile rims would look silly with the frame tubes being so big, but the 'chunkiness' of the Mavics makes it look ok.

CaptainP

by CaptainP

All black and gumwalls is instant win! Looks great!

bura

by bura

Yes, that is right.
I like smart buyers and smart builds.
Look forward to the complete picture.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Roel W

by Roel W

Nice one!
Are these clincher tires or tubulars? Which brand and type?

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

It looks nice :thumbup:

klingej

by klingej

Thanks for the comments! The groupset has been held up in customs so I won't have it for another 4-5 days... :cry: But I'll make sure to post pics of hte finished build, hopefully during next week.

The tyres are clinchers, Challenge Criterium Open 700x23.

Br Jonas

trychle

by trychle

Those wheels and tires

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trychle

by trychle

are super sweet.

Sorry for the double post. ;)