Mavic's Exalith Process/Reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GT56

by GT56

upside wrote:
kgt wrote:
enr1co wrote: The included Mavic 700 x 23 tires seem pretty skinny and did make for seemingly little bit harsher ride but could be also due to being accustomed/riding size 700x 25 tires prior to getting these wheels?

A friend who has used these during the last weeks told me these are among the worst performing, less durable tires in his 20 year cycling experience. Compared them to cheap Kendas or something like that.

I beg to differ with this statement. I have used the tires for a couple of years now and feel they are one of the better tires on the market. The rear wears well, the front grips great in dry and wet conditions. I also found them to be very punture resistant. Now if they had a 25 they would be a killer set-up. :noidea: :up:

i have a set of ksyrium slr with the profiled (new for MY 2013) 23 mm tires (which there are not, they're barely 22 mm), and agree that they ride pretty harsh contrary to the 23 mm slicks i used before which are must likely the ones you are referring to

mavic does offer the profiled tires tires in 25 mm too (yellow / white label not yellow / red)

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I have to ask if you are using latex tubes or the butyl ones that came with the wheels, as that is not my experience at all with the tires. I found them to be as good as anything that I have used clincher or tubular, but my experience might be skewed by my light weight. I can also confirm that they barely measure 22mm. The few races that I have these wheels pegged for will see the Mavic tires used but for the most part these are training wheels and I run Schwalbe Durano Plus in 23/25.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

i just got a new r-sys-slr-exalith-wheelset from 2012 and have following question:

can i use exalith 2 brakepads with my exalith "1" rims.

would the use of exalith 2 pads (black) instead of exalit "1" pads (green) extend the durability of the black exalith-covering ?

Thank you

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

You've probably all seen this thread, but it shows real nasty wear to a set of r-sys slr's... Mavic do not appear to be interested...

The coating wears down to end up looking like the magic open pro ceramic rim, but obviously the raised ridges are still present on the braking surface.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110392

Elrey

by Elrey

The raised rigid aren't complete no more :(

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

Are you putting a new rim on yourself and paying for it yourself or is Mavic going to warranty it?!

Elrey

by Elrey

The Danish destributer is paying for the rim and the work. Luckly.

ttlund

by ttlund

MavicZack wrote:
The green Mavic Exalith brake pads are good in all conditions, all weather. And, they work just fine on standard aluminum. BUT DO NOT USE THEM ON CARBON! They're harder than standard pads and will wear through carbon sidewalls in no time!

best - z

Hi MZ :D

Thank you for your help here in forum..

Just wanted to ask if the Exalith pads would do any harm to regular alu rims, like on Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL..?? (the idea is to avoid change of pads when changing wheel set, which I do often...)

I have heard some people saying that the Exalith pads are to hard for standard alu rims, but can it be confirmed..??

Thanks i advance for your kind answer :)

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Can you use the green Sram pads made by Swiss Stop on the Exalith rims?
I have a pair of R-Sys SLR 2012 and a pair of Cosmics carbon slr 2012.
I suppose you can use the exalith 2 black brakepads also on the exalith 1 rims?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Can you use the green Sram pads made by Swiss Stop on the Exalith rims?
I have a pair of R-Sys SLR 2012 and a pair of Cosmics carbon slr 2012.
I suppose you can use the exalith 2 black brakepads also on the exalith 1 rims?

Elrey

by Elrey

Your not supposed to mix the old rims with the new pads. Thats what i'v head from the Mavic dealer...

Rippin

by Rippin

I highly doubt that. Exalith 1 (green) pads are no longer acknowledged on Mavic's website - just the new black ones. And the description states "Specific pads for efficient braking on any Exalith® rims". How would 1st generation Exalith rim owners get brake pads if only the discontinued green ones worked?
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Hello All,
sorry for my absence of late.

You can use the new black Exalith brake pads with Exalith rims of any generation (1st or 2nd). No prob. In fact the new pads are better and should make 1st gen Exalith a little less prone to the occasional loud shreik or howling sound with braking.

You can also use Exalith brake pads on normal aluminum. They might not stop as well, due to the harder compound. Also, if you use them on normal aluminum rims, the softer metal of normal aluminum can splinter a little and leave small shards of material embedded in the pads. Of course, this also happens with any brake pad. But the only prob with this, in regards to Exalith, is that when you change wheels back to Exalith, the metal shards could scratch the Exalith. So, if you do swap wheels around, please just take a sharp pick and pull out any metal flakes from the brake pads.

In regards to Elrey's bad experience in DK, I don't know what to say. The countries that don't have a Mavic office (that rely on distributors) sometimes don't have access to the best warranty procedures. It's a real bummer. We don't often hear of bad cases like this. in the USA it would have been a warranty for sure.

Any further questions don't hesitate to send a PM.

cheers - zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

jonnyBgood

by jonnyBgood

thisisatest wrote:i had one customer that had a bad shrieking squeal on her front brake with the ksyrium slr/rsys slr set. no toe-in, toe-out, flat, angled, cleaned, scuffed, anything would make it go away.
then i recalled the post on WW earlier about the pad material being the same as SwissStop ghpII, but with the older-style shallow grooves to help combat squeal. i decided to try the actual ghpII pads, with the very deep channels in them, and the noise was gone.
so far, that's been the only hiccup ive encountered on the exalith wheels.

I had the same issues with my Cosmic Carbone SLR's when I had them on my Orbea Orca Gold with Ciamillo Zero Gravity brakes. All kinds of noise but ...when I had them on my Specialized S-Works SL4 Tarmac with Shimano Dura-Ace brakes all with good with no noise at all.
I swapped the brakes between the two bikes and had the same issue with the Ciamillo brakes on the Tarmac so I just don't use the wheels with my Ciamillo brakes.
I need to try the Swiss Stop pads and see if that helps with the noise with the Ciamillo brakes.

clxcolnago

by clxcolnago

I have the SLE cosmic carbone and i swear by them
I rode carbon clinchers before and no matter how good the pads are, nothing else beats exalith..
The noise is something we should get used to for a while.
I wish mavic stay and produce these kind of rim for a long time. They are tough and good for uneven roads.
One more plus point for mavic is they are good for 11spd shimanos with just removing the spacer..if you own zipp..it will piss u off cause u need a new wheel or redishing..

Please mavic engineers develop better more long lasting exalith surface..and cheaper wheelsets as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com