My SUPERSIX project THAT BLEW my budget (update 6-10-15)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

just got back from the bike shop. it sucked to see that I'm so close to flat 15 but yet still so far away. HELP ME GET DOWN TO 15lbs!

-ti-bolt kit for stem, seatpost bolt, RD and FD?
-cables?
-DA rear cassette ($300 retail though)
-DA RD

Extereme and expensive options are but not realistic for me at this time:
-wheelset-go lighter clincher or Go tubular (Dont really want to go tubular for convinience purposes though)
-crankset

I'm trying to remind myself that though I have a good frame, it isn't an uber light frame. If I want to see low 14's or high 13's I would have to get the evo or something comparative.

Cut the steering tube flush to stem which gives it a cleaner look also

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I'm sellling my FSA SLK cranks (Does not include praxis chainrings). will come with FSA 50/34 compact rings. Just bought myself an SL hollowgram crankset. If anyone is interested please contact me asap. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ronderman

by ronderman

Dude, you need to take a deep breath, relax and realize a few things:

1. You got a great bike and really wont go any faster at 15 pounds
2. At a quarter pound you're not close to 15 pounds
3. You're kinda doing it wrong, if you want to go fast(er)

I haven't read all the comments, but why the heck are you geting light calipers and ti bolts when you have heavy, non-aero wheels?

Throw a pair of nice Mavic Cosmic Ultimates on that bike and you will be down to your 15 pounds, it will ride nicer and it will be faster. Change the cranks to Cannondale SL cranks - again, gets you down almost 100 grams and closer to the weight you want (you wont go any faster and it wont be any better of a ride, maybe a tad). Save you $$$ and get an EVO frame - again, will get you to your magic number, which is really a number with NO logic.

I will bet you, my dollars to your donuts, that my 16 pound Colnago with my ultimates is faster any day than your bike at 15 pounds (contingent you don't get the ultimates). I bet you it will ride nicer, too.

Keep what you have - ride the heck out of it, stop obsessing and save your money for the next BIG purchase that will make the most difference (in your case, it's most certainly wheels).

That's my thought.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

ronderman wrote:Dude, you need to take a deep breath, relax and realize a few things:

1. You got a great bike and really wont go any faster at 15 pounds
2. At a quarter pound you're not close to 15 pounds
3. You're kinda doing it wrong, if you want to go fast(er)

I haven't read all the comments, but why the heck are you geting light calipers and ti bolts when you have heavy, non-aero wheels?

Throw a pair of nice Mavic Cosmic Ultimates on that bike and you will be down to your 15 pounds, it will ride nicer and it will be faster. Change the cranks to Cannondale SL cranks - again, gets you down almost 100 grams and closer to the weight you want (you wont go any faster and it wont be any better of a ride, maybe a tad). Save you $$$ and get an EVO frame - again, will get you to your magic number, which is really a number with NO logic.

I will bet you, my dollars to your donuts, that my 16 pound Colnago with my ultimates is faster any day than your bike at 15 pounds (contingent you don't get the ultimates). I bet you it will ride nicer, too.

Keep what you have - ride the heck out of it, stop obsessing and save your money for the next BIG purchase that will make the most difference (in your case, it's most certainly wheels).

That's my thought.

thanks for the input. I appreciate the advice. Shaving weight from my bike has nothing to do with making me faster. I dont race anymore and dont plan on it in the future. I ride strictly for fun. Shaving the weight is a hobby in itself and I find it fun to do the research to find how i can lighten my bike. The problem with that is I'm on a budget, so going out and dropping the $ on a set of cosmic's is not realistic for me. I did however just buy some hollowgram cranks the other night and am waiting impatiently for them. I would say that there is a large portion of people on this forum that are shaving weight not to be some fast cyclist, but for self gratification. Maybe your 16lbs colnago would be faster any day than mine. I'm ok with that. I was saving for an evo framset for a while but then realized that I dont NEED that kind of bike right now, just like I dont really need any of these light weight pieces either. I know I have a nice bike and I take pride in it. I set a goal for myself when i bought it that I would do what I could to shave the weight. At the time i didn't know anything about how to achieve that. I'm still new at learning how to do this or that to get the weight down, but getting this close to my goal has become exciting. Knowing that I am about to reach my goal and actually come in below my goal is very exciting and brings self satisfaction. This forum is nothing but people who are obsessed with shaving grams though, so I find it odd to hear someone tell me on this forum to stop thinking of ways to shave weight. I'm not yet to the point of sanding my levers, cranks or other parts of my bike, so I dont consider myself obsessed just yet.

After my hollowgram purchase I will be done for a while so i can save for a wheel purchase though.

:beerchug:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

@ronderman you are aware that you are on Weight Weenies forum and not RBR or something, right? This is a forum about lightening your bike for arbitrary reasons and spending silly money to do it.....to most of the folks on this forum you're the one that needs to "relax".

@Bianchi10 keep it up.....the only thing you need to change is your screen name since you ride a Cannondale! :noidea: :cheers:

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

BAH! I know :oops: This has been my screen name for all my bike forums and didn't want to have to remember a new one. That was my screen name I chose when i got my first bike. Bianchi via nirone 7. oh well :thumbup:

ronderman

by ronderman

Ok, I need to calm down - got it, I'm calm. :thumbup:

Let me use a better word and I"ll drop the faster thing - this is all incongruent. You want to drop weight

You already got the hallowgram cranks, that's going to help. Next, get yourself a dura ace cassette - I saw that on your above list.

After that save some money - sell the ultegra and buy a SRAM RED. You need to save some money, you can sell your parts and given that there is new red out there you can get old RED for good deal and after selling your ultegra you shouldn't have to come out of pocket all that much. You can even use your dura ace cassette you just purchased - so just like the calipers you can keep the casette - or even better get a red one peice, which you can use on your ultegra - make sure to get an 11-21 so it's as light as they come .

At that point you should be at 15. From there drop those wheels - 1550 gram clinchers are in no way light - you using latex tubes - if not. . . . . :smartass: Change those wheels you will be below 15 pounds.

There am I playing this game right (and really, can someone who joined two days prior to me tell me to calm down - not sure you can, violation of some rule somewhere). :waving:

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

btompkins0112 wrote:@Bianchi10 keep it up.....the only thing you need to change is your screen name since you ride a Cannondale! :noidea: :cheers:

Could be worse, he could be stuck with melloJohnny... :P

And for what it's worth, I'm with ya. Cut Bianchi10 some slack. If he wants Hollograms, so be it.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

ronderman wrote:Ok, I need to calm down - got it, I'm calm. :thumbup:

Let me use a better word and I"ll drop the faster thing - this is all incongruent. You want to drop weight

You already got the hallowgram cranks, that's going to help. Next, get yourself a dura ace cassette - I saw that on your above list.

After that save some money - sell the ultegra and buy a SRAM RED. You need to save some money, you can sell your parts and given that there is new red out there you can get old RED for good deal and after selling your ultegra you shouldn't have to come out of pocket all that much. You can even use your dura ace cassette you just purchased - so just like the calipers you can keep the casette - or even better get a red one peice, which you can use on your ultegra - make sure to get an 11-21 so it's as light as they come .

At that point you should be at 15. From there drop those wheels - 1550 gram clinchers are in no way light - you using latex tubes - if not. . . . . :smartass: Change those wheels you will be below 15 pounds.

There am I playing this game right (and really, can someone who joined two days prior to me tell me to calm down - not sure you can, violation of some rule somewhere). :waving:

Couple things...

-I'm not getting an 11-21 just because its a light combo. I live in oregon and do a lot of hills therefor i wont be getting that low of a gearing. Tell me to HTFU all you want, I'm not doing it.

-My wheels are 1480g (not that it is a huge difference from 1550). I am using ultralight tubes and veloplugs.

-my SLK cranks are 763g. SL cranks supposed to be 571g (From what I have seen on forums) difference of 192g
15.27lbs/6926g-192g difference=6734g/14.84lbs.
-By the numbers I should be under 15lbs. I shouldn't need DA cassette or new wheels to reach my goal.

-I dont like Sram, therefor i will not buy it just to shave the weight. I have been able to shave all my weight without compromising how I want the bike to be. I wanted a sub 15lbs bike and i will get it. After the cranks and maybe later down the road a DA RD and possibly DA cassette I will be done with this bike. At which point I will hopefully be happy and content for a while. After being Done that will allow me to not feel the need to buy more stuff and save for an evo frame if I so chose.

Its not that you are playing any games wrong. Its just odd that you someone on this forum would tell another member that they are spending their money for no good reason just to make their bike lighter. As Btompkins said, "This is a forum about lightening your bike for arbitrary reasons and spending silly money to do it."

ronderman

by ronderman

Great - so you're there :welcome:

One thing" "odd that you someone on this forum would tell another member that they are spending their money for no good reason just to make their bike lighter" - not sure I said that, at all, or even close. I said you had a great bike and that you wouldn't go faster by it being 15 pounds.

One more thing: "This is a forum about lightening your bike for arbitrary reasons and spending silly money to do it." Didn't you say that you specifically didn't have silly money to get down to 15 pounds.

I'm confused, way too many rules for this post. :scared:

You reached your goal, or will reach it, go for a ride.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

No, I said i was on a budget. Budget means you save up for those items instead of spending lavishly because you have enough expendable cash to spend it so. After you save the money, its still silly money spent because it is usually unnecessary for the majority of us.

regardless. Doesn't matter anymore. thanks for the input.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Got my SL hollowgrams installed and have now successfully reached my goal of Sub 15lbs!

14.79 FULLY dressed with garmin, pedals, both cages and cadance sensor

SDP

by SDP

really nice...hope it rides well..

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I know that bike shop that you bike is hanging out in... River City! I am also from Oregon and the 11-28 is perfect for all of our hills. Bald Peak with anything less would be a tough trip. Glad that you made it to your goal weight with the bike dressed. I just switched to Cannondale with a purchase from River City also. Enjoy the black and white bike, I sure like my Black and White Evo.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100