Roller's help - different effort to get bikes up to speed

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jeza

by jeza

I know this sounds strange but any helpful suggestions please.
right, I've got my 2 bianchis .A 928L with campag chorus 10sp compact & campag eurus wheelset. vs Infinito with campag super record Ti 11sp compact & xentis squad 4.2's with DT swiss 240s hubs.
running on my rollers ,both in the 17 sprocket, the effort i have to put in on the infinito is much higher than the 928!!!????
roughly 12bpm more effort.
On the stand everything seems to be free running and smooth.But on the rollers it feels 'coarser' for want of a better word.
Just don't understand and it's really irritating how much I spent on my ' ultimate bike to find that I'm not enjoying it as much on the rollers or the road as my 928 !!!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Same tires?
Same pressures?
Chain equally lubed/fresh?

Interestingly enough, if you are do want to take the opportunity you truly can: keep switching things around to determine exactly what components, or combination of components, is causing the change in effort. Set up a grid on a sheet of paper with all the variations, work your way through it. Try switching wheels across the two frames. Seatposts. Seats. Handlebars... etc:.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Routier

by Routier

I've never used rollers so I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but could it be that the two bikes have different wheelbases and therefore you need to change the distance between the rollers?

Feel free to tell me to shut up if I'm talking rubbish!

jeza

by jeza

No.the rollers are set to within a couple of cm.so wouldn't effect it.
I'll try swapping the wheels over first.trouble is that ever since I built this up I've not been happy.already spent another few hundred on swopping out the stem and bar as the front end didn't feel stiff enough!!!(see flexy infinito thread)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

NGMN

by NGMN

what tires and tubes are on each? rolling resistance would be the biggest factor (way more than drivetrain efficiency) in effort on the rollers besides maybe tire pressure

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Beats per minute is a pretty sucky way to quantify bike choice.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

jeza

by jeza

Pro race on both.100psi
I know what you're saying about hr but I changed over bikes several times in a session so I know how I/it was feeling.

jeza

by jeza

Had a thought. could it be the fact that the infinito has a 1cm longer wheelbase? Which would mean the front wheel is further forward over the front roller.!!!

jeza

by jeza

Sorry routier, just realised it's exactly what you said!!!

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I would be curiouse if this ended up being the cause of your issues.

Please let us know. That was the first thing I thought of, but when it was dismissed, I was left "scratching my head".

Let us know what you found out. :thumbup:

I use rollers too. I use different bikes and ther is some difference in length, but have not had your symptoms, but still curiouse (I just can't spell today).

jeza

by jeza

I'll see how adjustable the rollers are.not sure I can change them by the cm.

quattrings

by quattrings

Are your contact points the same? If one is set up differently it could very well influence your HR by that much.
Switching between TT and road bikes had the same effect I have found. It takes some time for the muscles to determine what the new ignition sequence should be to achieve a perfect combustion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com