Time xpresso pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Grill
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Oop North

by Grill

ninjanoir78 wrote:
fdegrove wrote:Hi,

No the 12 has already bad reviews..you need to weight under 165lbs i think..


Really? Can you point us to some links?

TIA, ;)


My lbs told me that after many problems with 12.. with riders over 180lbs

sent from my galaxy SIII


I call shenanigans. The pedals are brand new and aren't even widely available and yet you claim that your LBS has had "many problems" with them? I have over 5k miles on my base iClic2 pedals (they've been beat to shit and never serviced) and they're still perfect. My iClic2 Titans are even better. The biggest problem is the cleats only last a couple thousand miles, but then again so do my tires. All products will break under the right conditions, but to back your contention with nothing other than anecdotal evidence is just ridiculous.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru
Posts: 5851
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Belgium

by fdegrove

Hi,

ninjanoir78 wrote:
fdegrove wrote:Hi,

No the 12 has already bad reviews..you need to weight under 165lbs i think..


Really? Can you point us to some links?

TIA, ;)


My lbs told me that after many problems with 12.. with riders over 180lbs

sent from my galaxy SIII


Fair enough but I do not consider the majority of LBS a reliable source.

From the feedback I recieve from other users these new pedals are doing fine. And so they should as Time wouldn't risk yet another commercial disaster after the I-Click I'd say.

Either way, pedals shouldn't break like that so I wonder what really brought it on....

In the mean time I guess I will have my RXS Ti's serviced as at least they've worked extremely well for me and Time has proven excellent service so far.

Keep us posted, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie


ninjanoir78
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:14 pm

by ninjanoir78

Grill wrote:
ninjanoir78 wrote:
fdegrove wrote:Hi,

No the 12 has already bad reviews..you need to weight under 165lbs i think..


Really? Can you point us to some links?

TIA, ;)


My lbs told me that after many problems with 12.. with riders over 180lbs

sent from my galaxy SIII


I call shenanigans. The pedals are brand new and aren't even widely available and yet you claim that your LBS has had "many problems" with them? I have over 5k miles on my base iClic2 pedals (they've been beat to shit and never serviced) and they're still perfect. My iClic2 Titans are even better. The biggest problem is the cleats only last a couple thousand miles, but then again so do my tires. All products will break under the right conditions, but to back your contention with nothing other than anecdotal evidence is just ridiculous.



Cool so buy the 12..

sent from my galaxy SIII
Ninja

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru
Posts: 5851
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Belgium

by fdegrove

Hi,

Cool so buy the 12..


Will do.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

MagnusH
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:02 pm

by MagnusH

I had the tip of a RXS pedal snap off, but no problems with two years on Iclic Ti-Carbon.
The xpresso12 has a 90 kg rider limit btw.

Grill
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Oop North

by Grill

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Cool so buy the 12..


Will do.

Ciao, ;)


As will I.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru
Posts: 5851
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Belgium

by fdegrove

Hi,

Spot the typical patterns:

ninjanoir78 wrote:Hi. Would like to have some reviews about time pedals. The I clic had some problems but when i look the xpresso, wow very light, even the xpresso 2 or 4.. good price. I use look keo since 5 years but i want to try something else..

Thanks

sent from my galaxy SIII


TS is asking about a product.

First reply is complaining about it.

Then, out of the blue and with no obvious reason TS is supporting the reply about the complaint.

As usual, you don't hear about the "opinoin polarizer" anymore. He's served his purpose.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ninjanoir78
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:14 pm

by ninjanoir78

First i wanted to have some reviews.. but this morning my lbs told me some reviews..

sent from my galaxy SIII
Ninja

audiophilitis
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 am

by audiophilitis

I have the Xpresso 12 and although not many miles have been put on them to date, they've been stellar performers. I also have the Iclic2 Ti and other than the rather fragile cleats, those were one of the best pedals I've had -- which is the main reason for the upgrade to the Xpresso 12.

Looking at the picture posted by the OP, the piece that snapped off was from the locking mechanism on the rear of the pedal -- IMO, it doesn't look like weight-related damage.

User avatar
Curious George
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:48 am

by Curious George

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Spot the typical patterns:

ninjanoir78 wrote:Hi. Would like to have some reviews about time pedals. The I clic had some problems but when i look the xpresso, wow very light, even the xpresso 2 or 4.. good price. I use look keo since 5 years but i want to try something else..

Thanks

sent from my galaxy SIII


TS is asking about a product.

First reply is complaining about it.

Then, out of the blue and with no obvious reason TS is supporting the reply about the complaint.

As usual, you don't hear about the "opinoin polarizer" anymore. He's served his purpose.

Ciao, ;)

Fdegrove,
I'm not sure exactly what you are insinuating? :noidea: The OP asked for an opinion on the product and given these have really only been available less than a month was unlikely to have many reviews. I don't have much to add other then I am having them replaced under warrenty. Up until that point, they functioned in almost the same manner as the previous Iclic 2's(which I have gone back to riding). I am hoping it's just a one off incidnet, however as mentioned this has the potential to cause a serious accident should it occur at the wrong time.

maxxevv
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:51 am

by maxxevv

Sometimes .. bike components have become sacred almost to the point of 'religious artifacts' ...

People need to go get a beer and some grip on life .... :roll:

User avatar
ElDuderino
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Hollywood
Contact:

by ElDuderino

Maxx...the RXS Ulteam pedals were THAT good. ;]

Bigger Gear
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Wet coast, Canada

by Bigger Gear

I have just received a pair of Xpresso 8, but I will likely start using them once the weather starts to dry up a bit. I never tried the iClic, seemed as though there were almost as many bad experiences as good. I have a decent stock of RXS Carbon in my possession, and as others have mentioned in this thread they are almost ideal. If Time just added a replaceable stainless top surface to keep the pedal body from wearing down then I think the RXS would be superb.

I have tried a couple of times to move off of Time pedals (Speedplay Zero, SPD-SL) but I've been riding Time for 16+ years now and my body is so used to the style of float that I always struggle when I use another system. I really hope the Xpresso system works out OK in the long run.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru
Posts: 5851
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Belgium

by fdegrove

Hi,

maxxevv wrote:Sometimes .. bike components have become sacred almost to the point of 'religious artifacts' ...

People need to go get a beer and some grip on life .... :roll:


Some bike components actually deserve more status than others.
Time is one of cycling's monuments that have earned their status in the industry a long time ago already.
They're not sacred. They're just people. People caring about you.
Extraordinary people in fact as they're one of the few left that actually truly care about after sales service and so on.

I happen to like them just as I admire the likes of other companies (and they're growing increasingly scarse by the minute) that have the guts to act on what they believe is best for you. Not what's best for they're pockets.....

Now make a list of cycling related companies that have been truly outstanding over the past 15 years. Would it not include Time?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie


merlin6014
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 am

by merlin6014

My xpresso 6 pedals arrived in the mail today from PBK. Going for a ride soon will update later what they are like

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post