Help me Schmolke TLO MTB handlebar crack

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I certainly wouldn't torque to the maximum limit with any torque wrench as they are not perfectly accurate. Learned my lesson the hard way with the Ritchey torque key which although set to "5" nm ruined a couple of stems and handlebars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JohnHesjedal

by JohnHesjedal

Elrey wrote:Yutah that bar is like a Swiss chees. Full of holes.
No, i'm glad you are stepping forward! I'v been scamed before, and it stinks! So thanks man, it's nice to know who to trust.

It looks like you're not the only person who got scammed by this guy, Chang Young Lim, just do a quick search. Watch out WW people.

Squint

by Squint

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowt ... _P4397751/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post #10:
My Mariposa has burned me a few times. It took me many incidents before I stopped assuming it was user error, but the most recent spat a few weeks ago really convinced me. In short, it just doesn't click sometimes. I crushed a basebar like that, stripped a few screws and, most recently, cracked open the threaded boss on BOTH of my new sram red brake calipers.

JohnHesjedal

by JohnHesjedal

And what about posts #4 & 6 ????

JTolandTRI:

" I am a huge nerd for high end & well built tools, and I can vouch for the Effetto Mariposa torque wrench being one of my favorite tools of all time. Hell, it's even made its way into my jersey pockets on some rides, pretty much just because I can :)

At the very least, go click style, make sure you reset to zero after use, and don't buy one from harbor freight. "

Squint wrote:http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Torque_Wrenches_P4397751/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post #10:
My Mariposa has burned me a few times. It took me many incidents before I stopped assuming it was user error, but the most recent spat a few weeks ago really convinced me. In short, it just doesn't click sometimes. I crushed a basebar like that, stripped a few screws and, most recently, cracked open the threaded boss on BOTH of my new sram red brake calipers.
Last edited by JohnHesjedal on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JohnHesjedal

by JohnHesjedal

I use Park Tool TW-2 for several years now and never had a single problem. The most important thing i believe is to leave a 20 % safety margin. I always torque 80% of the max.
Last edited by JohnHesjedal on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squint

by Squint

JohnHesjedal wrote:And what about posts #4 & 6 ????

JTolandTRI:

" I am a huge nerd for high end & well built tools, and I can vouch for the Effetto Mariposa torque wrench being one of my favorite tools of all time. Hell, it's even made its way into my jersey pockets on some rides, pretty much just because I can :)

At the very least, go click style, make sure you reset to zero after use, and don't buy one from harbor freight."

Worthless opinions nearly as useless as all the paid for reviews.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

what agenda are you trying to push?

Squint

by Squint

I want people to stop buying an overpriced piece of junk that breaks components.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

MFW people on WW are arguing about which torque wrenches to use, yet a pro mechanic does not use a torque wrench at all.

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Plenty of "pro" mechanics do. and like other mechanics, there are good ones and bad ones. Even in the pros. There is so much required of a pro mechanic, being decent at mechanics is only part of it. With that in mind, the few pro and semipro mechanics I've had test in our shop didn't do so hot.
Slightly closer to topic, I don't particularly care for the the Effetto torque wrench. Not that I don't think it works, but that it's definitely overpriced. Topeak's d-torq is so much better. But even with a clicker that clicks softly, unless you're wailing away while listening to Gwar, you'd notice. I mean, you're actively feeling for the click, right? And some people see an m5 bolt on a stem and an 8-10Nm label and don't get warning bells, even when nearly identical products typically have 4 or 5Nm labels...

tetonrider

by tetonrider

Squint wrote:
JohnHesjedal wrote:And what about posts #4 & 6 ????

JTolandTRI:

At the very least, go click style, make sure you reset to zero after use, and don't buy one from harbor freight."

Worthless opinions nearly as useless as all the paid for reviews.

i'm an owner of the effeto mariposa wrench, so full disclosure there. i paid retail for mine. it was quite a bit of money, but it offered a nice package (particularly the size, which is an issue for me traveling to races quite a bit).

anyway, what i have seen over the years is that many people do not understand how to properly use a torque wrench, or to properly set the torque for something like a stem's faceplate. i have seen many people blame the equipment when the problem is poor technique.

i read both glowing positive reviews and very negative reviews with the same skepticism. as an example with the negative reviews on slow twitch...
1) that site has lots of people who tend to have quite a bit of money for bike parts and comparatively not as much experience wrenching.
2) with the premium pricing of the mariposa, perhaps it attracts a customer (drawn to the 'high price is best' mode of thinking) that may also have less experience working on their bike. it also may spawn the "it cost more than others so it must just automatically work without knowing how to operate it" mentality.

in that negative slowtwitch post, is it really possible that someone needs a torque wrench to set a cable fixing bolt? that makes me skeptical right there. also, they made it all the way to 10Nm before realizing something was wrong? doesn't take an amazing mechanic to know that there is a big difference in feel from 5 to 10.

in the instructions, effeto say to (and my practice is to) set the torque low, something like 1-2Nm, to "warm up" the wrench. had the user done this he could have determined if there was a problem before destroying a part.

one has to be pretty ham-handed to make some of those mistakes. it's not like he wanted to set it to 5Nm and the part broke at 5.25Nm.

also, we don't know if this guy stores his wrench long-term dialed up to 10, 12Nm, which would affect the long-term calibration. he may also not use short stroke that would trip the wrench.

i'm going with user error on this one.

it's a quality wrench that serves a purpose. it may not be for everyone. it, like every other torque wrench, is not foolproof.

bike parts are generally not NASA-grade projects. it could be that NASA abandoned mechanical torque wrenches (if true) for reasons valid to their work, where a difference of 1Nm could be life or death at Mach 1 speeds.

if one resets the mariposa wrench, stores it properly, and reads the instructions (obviously, all take a bit of care), it is fine. it's not a normal wrench and shouldn't be treated as such. to blame parts breaking on any wrench is dumb.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

What a bummer. I have bought a couple of things from Yutah in the past as well and it was always a great transaction. Hearing about this ticks me off because I wanted to buy these bars from him. As soon as I had the funds it was sold though...
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

NGMN

by NGMN

pritchet, did you read the whole thread? Seems like a dispute where both sides disagree about the actual facts.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Ya, I did. I tend to believe based on my previous transactions as well as his reputation on this forum. It appears that he shipped a product as stated and the guy who bought it cracked it by over torquing it.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

JohnHesjedal

by JohnHesjedal

NGMN wrote:pritchet, did you read the whole thread? Seems like a dispute where both sides disagree about the actual facts.

"...disagree about the actual facts."

Seems like fraud to me. His silence says it all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com