Specialized BG Footbeds in Sidi shoes?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Velofreak

by Velofreak

I have a pair of Sidi's in size 46; what size of Specialized BG insoles should I order? I think 45-46 it's ok, as they can be cut down. 44-45 may be two small in the end, right? thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

From my experience specialized insoles are far from special. Then again not too many stock insoles are...

sungod

by sungod

Velofreak wrote:I have a pair of Sidi's in size 46; what size of Specialized BG insoles should I order? I think 45-46 it's ok, as they can be cut down. 44-45 may be two small in the end, right? thanks in advance.

get the 45-46

i'm size 46 in both sidi and specialized shoes, the bg footbeds fit both without cutting, and they're dramatically better than the sidi rubbish footbeds

Velofreak

by Velofreak

thanks a lot for the help. considering the price of these soles, and the fact that they don't have to be molded or heat molded and that they are "solid", i think they will be a superb upgrade. my feet has been already measured in a bike expo by the guys at specialized.

terry

by terry

I use them in two pair of Sidi's and the fit is fine. Almost anything beats the Sidi insoles.

KWalker

by KWalker

Don't mess with Speci insoles- they're too soft to provide real correction under compression. Go with e-soles. I've run both in Sidis and they work fine.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Rick

by Rick

I have not tried e-soles, but I have tried about every type of non-custom insole.
I think the Specialized are different: the Blues and definitely the Greens have a much higher arch than any others I tried (except the walkfits, which are very heavy). And I do find them plenty rigid enough for support.

KWalker

by KWalker

Rick wrote:I have not tried e-soles, but I have tried about every type of non-custom insole.
I think the Specialized are different: the Blues and definitely the Greens have a much higher arch than any others I tried (except the walkfits, which are very heavy). And I do find them plenty rigid enough for support.

They don't hold under load. Sure when standing there they feel great, but compress a lot under load and do not support the arch very well.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Rick

by Rick

Not trying to be argumentative about it, because I haven't tried e-soles, and maybe they really are a lot better.
But the whole reason I have tried a lot of insoles is because I have a high arch that needs a lot of support, not just for cycling, but also for running, where I think the foot come under a lot more compressive impact stress than in cycling. So I did want something with "a lot of non-compressing support" and the Spec worked just fine, where numerous others were just laughably ineffective.

Maybe the e-soles are better. ;)

I'd actually like to try the e-soles. Where do you recommend getting them ?
Last edited by Rick on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spud

by spud

I've used both e-soles and Specialized. The E soles are nicer, but Specialized are completely fine for me (medium arch, minor pronation), and they are a hell of a lot easier to deal with (take up less room in the shoe), and of course, way cheaper.

Your mileage may vary.

Rick

by Rick

Is this what you are referring to: (e-soles)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/13825791?wmls ... la&veh=sem

KWalker

by KWalker

Wow, did not know they stocked them- but yes the orange colored sole. Before he went bonkers about magnetic field, Hogg had some great posts about footbeds and selecting arch support and wedging that helped me a lot. I can say that using the highest E-Soles arches on my flat feet with two heel wedges corrected my alignment issues and provide a ton of support. Specialized blues and greens with forefoot wedges did not and were less comfortable as well.

E-Soles are something I will never, ever switch out.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Rick

by Rick

The Walmart ones are green colored. Is the color a fit or support code ?

If I go to the official e-soles sight, it seems like I have to be "scanned" before buying their insoles ?

KWalker

by KWalker

I don't think you need to be scanned. The ones I've always seen used for bike fitting are orange or blue: http://www.esoles.com/products/efit.aspx
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

thebadger

by thebadger

KWalker wrote:Before he went bonkers about magnetic field, Hogg had some great posts about footbeds and selecting arch support and wedging that helped me a lot. I can say that using the highest E-Soles arches on my flat feet with two heel wedges corrected my alignment issues and provide a ton of support. Specialized blues and greens with forefoot wedges did not and were less comfortable as well.

Couldn't agree more with all of this. I use the blue insole in my Ergo 3's, because it's the one the BG fit specified for me. It's not nearly enough arch support, and it's soft, so I stacked cotton wool balls under there for custom fit :)
Cheap, and you can adjust to fit very minutely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com