Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Hi Kylefoo,
Does that mean you have a 38mm x 23 wide now (just not in u shape)? If so, could you provide diagram/profile/pictures?
Thanks,

kleinetako

by kleinetako

I have the 38 x 23 rims. They were sold as the "cyclocross" rims. Not sure if the clinchers were ever put on the site.

I don't have a lot of miles on them yet thanks to the weather, but they are awesome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Kleinetako,
If you don't mind my asking, what set up did you get (ie. which hubs and how many spokes?). Can you tell me if you feel they are stiff or flexy when standing/sprinting (for your weight?), and whether you think the wider rims (with a bit lower pressure) smooth the ride out a bit (not sure if you have experience with other narrow carbon rims)?
Thanks,

kleinetako

by kleinetako

trillo1111 wrote:Kleinetako,
If you don't mind my asking, what set up did you get (ie. which hubs and how many spokes?). Can you tell me if you feel they are stiff or flexy when standing/sprinting (for your weight?), and whether you think the wider rims (with a bit lower pressure) smooth the ride out a bit (not sure if you have experience with other narrow carbon rims)?
Thanks,

I wrote up the whole thing over on RBR, but the short version:
23mm wide x 38mm "cyclocross" rims
No spoke holes in the rim bed (extra $20, but worth it for tubeless)
EDHub Hubs
Sapim CX Ray (Standard count for Farsports)

Total weight was in the ballpark of 1340g. Built up with Hutchinson Intensive Tubeless which were almost impossible to get on. But with sealant, they sealed right up and run great at 85-90 psi.

Thanks to the weather I've only gotten them outside once, but they were smooth. I'm a lightweight (160lbs) and no sprinter, so I can't speak for stiff/flexy. Ride was similar to my Ultegra Tubeless, but it was only a short one.

mentok

by mentok

did you do the build? I am maybe a little naive, but i personally haven't seen an un-drilled rim bed like that before and i imagine it would take some sort of tricky "magnets and wires" arrangement to lace the sucker up. interested to hear how it was done...

cool idea though, i'm tempted by it...

kleinetako

by kleinetako

Magnets and string actually. :D

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/ebay-chinese-direct-carbon-wheel-thread-2-0-a-241788-107.html#post4219604

These were a factory build. Cost $20 extra to cover the additional labor.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Its a similar method to how Fulcrum builds the Racing Zero's.

mentok

by mentok

awesome, thanks guys

wedge96

by wedge96

I've got to admit to being pretty interested in The new rim shape. I'm curious if anyo e has ridden the newest U shaped offerings, especially the ones with the alloy brake track. They seem to be a pretty amazing weight for what they are.

KLabs

by KLabs

kleinetako wrote:I have the 38 x 23 rims. They were sold as the "cyclocross" rims. Not sure if the clinchers were ever put on the site.

I don't have a lot of miles on them yet thanks to the weather, but they are awesome.

Hi kleinetako, are you able to provide a link for these ... thanks

KLabs

by KLabs

Does anybody know the link for the wheels with cyclocross 23W 38D rims as mentioned by kleinetako ... thanks

kleinetako

by kleinetako

Just email kyle and they can build them for you. As far as I know there's no link.

I dealt with Farsports through email.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

teleguy57 wrote:Kylefoo, any estimated availability date for a 38mm tubular in the new profile or a 50mm tubular? Of course, what I'd really like is something in the 42-45mm depth range.... like the new Boyd 44 http://www.boydcycling.com/2013-product-revamp/ :)

You know, I like Boyd, had some of their wheels in the past. But I have to be honest. Why am I spending $1400+ on a pair of wheels that mimmick the big names, and for a few hundred bucks more and patience, you can get a big name wheel brand and technology?

I picked u my Firecrest 303 Tubies for $1700 to my door shipped with brand new Vittoria cx320tpi corsa tires.

Makes no sense to me personally.

gjash

by gjash

kylefoo wrote:
teleguy57 wrote:Kylefoo, any estimated availability date for a 38mm tubular in the new profile or a 50mm tubular? Of course, what I'd really like is something in the 42-45mm depth range.... like the new Boyd 44 http://www.boydcycling.com/2013-product-revamp/ :)

Teleguy, so far we have 50mm tubular 24mm width, "U" shape, Will send you section drawing by email. 38mm tubular may be will in our business line in the future.

How much do these 24mm wide tub rims weigh? Thanks!

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

gjash wrote:
kylefoo wrote:

Teleguy, so far we have 50mm tubular 24mm width, "U" shape, Will send you section drawing by email. 38mm tubular may be will in our business line in the future.

How much do these 24mm wide tub rims weigh? Thanks!

Gjash, 50mm*24mm width, tubular, 410g/pc +/-15g.
50mm*24mm width, clincher, 500g/pc +/-15g.
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com