COLNAGO Extreme Power Pg. 7

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

irongatsby

by irongatsby

nijinsky510 wrote:Imagepolish! :)

That's a very nice image nijinsky. Looks great polished, but I'm afraid it may compete with the polished aluminum. I should probably keep the finish of the cage consistent with the Ti skewer handles. Maybe I'll brush it with the right grit sandpaper, because the machined skewer handles are slightly shinier than the cage. You can hardly tell though, as there is enough size difference and distance between those parts.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice. I was just about to say black saddle, then saw your latest pic so it looks like that's the way you're going. Can't see the red bits on the saddle and was going to say I liked that litle splash, especially once you get the Campy stuff on there. Not a big fan of mixed profile wheels, aesthetically. Functionally, I'm sure they do what the marketing folks are marketing them as. Lower profile in the front is definitely not as wind prone, but whether that mattters depends on conditions. In most conditions, I find a 50mm front is pretty manageable, and would look so nice with this frame. A set of dark label Boras would complement this build best I think, if you could swing it. Either way, it's gonna be one of the nicest Colnagos around I think, especially with the autograph on there. So jealous, all over again.
Cal
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nijinsky510

by nijinsky510

irongatsby, for sanding, I recommend 3M scotch-brite pad.
It's useful for plane hairline finish.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

You're right nijinsky, thanks for the suggestion. I will do the same to the skewer handles. I think I have a few of those pads.

Thanks Calnago. I'm hoping the tan sidewall tires help balance out the front rear disparity. Bora 2s would be nice, but I need to stop spending on this bike. I got the Reynolds wheels new for less than 1/3 the price of Boras, so they'll have to serve me for now. I think Boras are nicer for a C59 like yours which I really love by the way with that red spacer. My frame is a bit older, so I think traditional spoke pattern is more fitting. Here's one more crappy shot before I get the bars and stem. looks big without tires.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@irongatsby

here's my advice..avoid the POP skewers.
I bought a brand new pair for Reynolds RZR previously, which came with those. And it ruined my PR38 C50 chainstays :evil:
When you clamp it initially it feels pretty secure, only problem is that it would come loose after a while!

Never had any issues with other WW skewers except POP (Carbon Ti, Mavic Ti, Tune DC14, Tune AC14)

My favourite are the Mavic Ti skewers, reasonably lightweight at 75gr (i think) but the clamping strength is unmatch.

cheers!

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Not what I wanted to hear..lol Thanks for sharing Maverick. That's just unacceptable. I remember reading Jason at Fairwheel's criticism of the Carbon-Ti skewers. I thought the POP version addressed the cup issue by adding a cam washer, but it sounds like there's another problem. If your experience isn't an isolated incident, I'll have to get something else. I do have a Mavic Ti front skewer, and I know what you mean about the quality of its mechanism. Kinda looking for a weight weenie set though.. I think the Mavic set weighs a little more than 75g? Have you tried the Extralite Aliens skewers?

maverick_1

by maverick_1

My suggestion is to opt for the Tune skewers. The AC14 seems the most balanced of all, in weight and clamp strength. A tad porky at approx 50 gr I think but it's better than ruining your otherwise beautiful chainstays, IMHO.
(No experience on the Extralite though)

cerro

by cerro

No problems with Tune U20 either, works perfect

Elrey

by Elrey

You should go for a black line 3T stem, handelbar and seatpost combo. Either that or Thomson all the way. Think the Edge seatpost looks wrong. Both grafic and the UD mat finish.
Just my 2 cents.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

maverick_1 wrote:My suggestion is to opt for the Tune skewers. The AC14 seems the most balanced of all, in weight and clamp strength. A tad porky at approx 50 gr I think but it's better than ruining your otherwise beautiful chainstays, IMHO.
(No experience on the Extralite though)

Thanks Maverick. I don't know why I overlooked those before. Perhaps I thought they were a bit outdated, but you're the 2nd person to say that the AC14s are functionally sound. They also keep in line with the look I'm going for as they are similar to the POPs. You probably considered that. I will use the POPs for weigh-ins, and the Tunes for fight day.

Cerro, those skewers are amazing!!

El rey, I like the 3T Black bars more, now that they got rid of the white clamp area. However, I made up my mind on the Deda Superleggero stem. I've been waiting for a stem with no logo on the face plate for a long time. I'm also being weight conscious with this build, so the 240g+ seatpost is a no can do. The unpopular Edge post weighs 189g at 400mm length. I can cut about 120mm off that seatpost, so the weight should drop to about 160g. I'm going to try out the Deda Superzero.
Last edited by irongatsby on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

does anyone have an extra set of Edge/Enve oversized rail wedges they can sell?

Hiram

by Hiram

That's gonna be a nice ride!

Montana

by Montana

Awaiting the final build :popcorn:

bjorn240

by bjorn240

Nice rig! Here's my ExP in 54s. Wish it were a level-TT one, but when you buy used, beggars/choosers, and all that...

All Record 10; 17.2 lbs as pictured:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Some bike for a beggar there..j/k :mrgreen:
Nice one bjorn. Nice components as well. I think sloped frames are fine especially in larger sizes. My bike shop actually suggested that I get a 52s, but I stubbornly went for the traditional top tube.

Montana, I'm waiting on Deda's new Superleggero stem. :(

Thanks Hiram.

Maverick, do you think the AC16/17 MTB skewers are even better since the front rod is Ti as well? Only 3-4g more. If I'm not mistaken, the rear skewer length is the same as the AC14's.