HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:24 am
Posts: 955
Yeah, I don't know about that. Does anyone have anything bad to say about Assos, besides the price? Maybe no one hates on Assos because they're Swiss. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:27 pm
Posts: 342
Location: Switzerland
I'm swiss and I dislike assos because it fades like crazy.

My shorts are now grey and my airjack jacket went from bright green to something greenish that even a Grateful Dead fan wouldn't be found dead in it.

And yes, those garments have always been washed with the assos cleanser.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:24 am
Posts: 955
That would be annoying. None of my Rapha stuff noticeably has faded so far. It's all two or three years old. My Castelli bibs faded within a year. My Etxe Ondo lasted two or three.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 186
limba wrote:
Yeah, I don't know about that. Does anyone have anything bad to say about Assos, besides the price? Maybe no one hates on Assos because they're Swiss. :mrgreen:


Stitcing zipper on my assos 3/4 bibs are starting to run, have not even used them that much because I like my Rapha 3/4 more (better fit) :)

_________________
Parlee Z5 ML


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:24 am
Posts: 955
I liked the Rapha 3/4 better as well. I bought two pairs, loved them and got another two pairs on sale last year for $140 each.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:17 am
Posts: 66
Guerdi wrote:
I'm swiss and I dislike assos because it fades like crazy.

My shorts are now grey and my airjack jacket went from bright green to something greenish that even a Grateful Dead fan wouldn't be found dead in it.

And yes, those garments have always been washed with the assos cleanser.


Crazy, thats surprising as my Assos have not faded at all... 2+ years. Not to sound like my mom but, are you washing in cold?

Cheers,

_________________
My Bikes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:58 pm
Posts: 306
Location: Lancaster, UK
at the top end it's more about fit than some measure of pure quality.

To illustrate, I recently was in the market for a winter windstopper jacket so I tried:

Assos (2)
Capo (1)
Mavic (1)
Castelli (6!)
Pearl Izumi (2)
Sportful (2)
Rapha (1)
Campag (2)

All were clearly 'good' and well made but the fit was all over the place, and some just didn't suit me. It was clear to me that the best technically wasn't necessarily the best fitting, so there's no point in arguing that X is 'better' than Y because it depends on the fit.

I quietly wanted a Castelli but it wasn't to be. The best ones (for me) were the Sportful and the Campag and I went for the latter.

Bibshorts, jerseys, whatever, it's all the same. Find the best fitting one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:09 am
Posts: 63
Gem wrote:
I'm not really sure where to start but having spent 12 years in sourcing for a few companies you'll have to forgive my use of jargon.

You think your original Prada was fabricated by Nonna? More likely it was put together by North African or Chinese migrants in a Chinese controlled factory somewhere like Prato:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/a ... 2003491450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/no ... zhou-italy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not really sure where the anti-Chinese sentiment comes from but to discount all the clothing they produce because you don't want to ride a bike there is extraordinarily short-sighted. If you hate the Chinese and can't bear to wear anything they produce of course that's your choice but don't try and cloak that xenophobia in some kind of quality argument; they make good, bad and indifferent things just like everywhere else...


Northoceanbeach wrote:
So it's a quality control nightmare(qc? Really dude?) than maybe their quality sucks.

It doesn't all have to be made in one country but it sure shouldn't include china.

All my Giordana is from Italy.
I have assos from Bulgaria, Switzerland, Italy and maybe one other place. Those are all countries I'd want to ride a bike. They are also E.U. Or close enough, so they have good labour standards. $250 for a shirt is a lot. It's rediculous if it's made in China.

I used I like designer clothes, it used to be Prada was all made in Europe and it was all quality. Now most is from China and it's overpriced crap. It just didn't last, at all. So you shouldn't buy it. It's very simple.


Bravo for this post. Some honesty in the matter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:26 pm
Posts: 162
Here is a really interesting article about Rapha doing sky's kit:

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2013/01/from-wind-tunnel-testing-to-washing.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:57 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Denver
limba wrote:
Yeah, I don't know about that. Does anyone have anything bad to say about Assos, besides the price? Maybe no one hates on Assos because they're Swiss. :mrgreen:


I have never been crazy about Assos look. I prefer Rapha style. Assos has a deeper line, in some regards, less so in others. They definitely have a more complete winter offering, less so on the casual side.

I love my Deep Winter Bibs, 3/4 Knickers, Long Sleeve Jersey, Baselayers, Winter Jersey, sock, hats, and softshell from R, but their gloves and shoe covers don't cut it for real cold. Maybe next year?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:12 pm
Posts: 137
icebreaker wrote:
Gem wrote:
I'm not really sure where to start but having spent 12 years in sourcing for a few companies you'll have to forgive my use of jargon.

You think your original Prada was fabricated by Nonna? More likely it was put together by North African or Chinese migrants in a Chinese controlled factory somewhere like Prato:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/a ... 2003491450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/no ... zhou-italy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not really sure where the anti-Chinese sentiment comes from but to discount all the clothing they produce because you don't want to ride a bike there is extraordinarily short-sighted. If you hate the Chinese and can't bear to wear anything they produce of course that's your choice but don't try and cloak that xenophobia in some kind of quality argument; they make good, bad and indifferent things just like everywhere else...


Northoceanbeach wrote:
So it's a quality control nightmare(qc? Really dude?) than maybe their quality sucks.

It doesn't all have to be made in one country but it sure shouldn't include china.

All my Giordana is from Italy.
I have assos from Bulgaria, Switzerland, Italy and maybe one other place. Those are all countries I'd want to ride a bike. They are also E.U. Or close enough, so they have good labour standards. $250 for a shirt is a lot. It's rediculous if it's made in China.

I used I like designer clothes, it used to be Prada was all made in Europe and it was all quality. Now most is from China and it's overpriced crap. It just didn't last, at all. So you shouldn't buy it. It's very simple.


Bravo for this post. Some honesty in the matter.


I dont think you know what you're talking about.

Xenophobia means fear of outsiders. If I was xenophobic it would mean I would be preaching buy American, not Bulgarian or Swiss. I think you meant I say racist. But while China may make some good products go to Walmart or a dollar store and tell that the vast majority isn't really inexpensive, disposable products.

Again, it is not short sighted to not want to buy race bike clothes from a country that isnt one with a big race cycle culture, or one in which I may want to road bike. I dont even know how you stuck the term shortsighted in there. What does that even mean? It means nothing. If you were to buy a Race car would you buy it from the middle I the amazon rain forest where there are no roads or cars? Or would you buy it from somewhere that had roads?

Lastly your post about the raid on the immigrant factory in Italy. Yes some of the factories have migrant labour, but you were referencing h and m and not really the high end clothing, I've seen Assos' factory, it is not a third world hovel transplanted into Italy. But we can I ly really do what we can an at least try to buy from nice countries. But doesn't the whole pout of that article were the Italian police raid the factory prove my point? The whole point of the article was that once the authorities found out about the conditions they put a stop to it, that is a REASON to buy from Italy, they CARE about working conditions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 pm
Posts: 3760
Location: Vicenza
We're totally OT, but just for mere information; in Italy lately there have been many raids against those hidden "factories" where illegall chinese works for few euros each day.
At first even the pubblic opinion was against chinese people, but then they realized that it's the big brands fault for this situation and it seems that even italian police might start to take some actions against the big brands.

Getting back on topic, Im not a big Rapha fan, but as Ive visited China a couple of times and have friends into the cycling clothing manufactering, I can say that there are many other well known companies (especially for the US market) who produce their stuff in China.

_________________
ciclismo-espresso.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:43 am
Posts: 565
Location: The 'Dena
Northoceanbeach wrote:
So it's a quality control nightmare(qc? Really dude?) than maybe their quality sucks.

It doesn't all have to be made in one country but it sure shouldn't include china.

All my Giordana is from Italy.
I have assos from Bulgaria, Switzerland, Italy and maybe one other place. Those are all countries I'd want to ride a bike. They are also E.U. Or close enough, so they have good labour standards. $250 for a shirt is a lot. It's rediculous if it's made in China.

I used I like designer clothes, it used to be Prada was all made in Europe and it was all quality. Now most is from China and it's overpriced crap. It just didn't last, at all. So you shouldn't buy it. It's very simple.



Regardless of all the labor practice / human rights / etc.. .to say you would not want to ride a bike in China really displays your ignorance.. It is a massive country that has amazing landscape and is relatively unexplored by cyclists.. i would jump at the chance to ride there..
By the way Rapha also makes clothing in Italy, Portugal and other Euro country's... just be honest with yourself, if you don't like it .. don't like it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:56 pm
Posts: 12
I love Assos kit but have to agree with earlier post regarding fading as my Milles are also now grey after only 2 years!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Posts: 30
Quote:

I dont think you know what you're talking about.

Xenophobia means fear of outsiders. If I was xenophobic it would mean I would be preaching buy American, not Bulgarian or Swiss. I think you meant I say racist. But while China may make some good products go to Walmart or a dollar store and tell that the vast majority isn't really inexpensive, disposable products.

Again, it is not short sighted to not want to buy race bike clothes from a country that isnt one with a big race cycle culture, or one in which I may want to road bike. I dont even know how you stuck the term shortsighted in there. What does that even mean? It means nothing. If you were to buy a Race car would you buy it from the middle I the amazon rain forest where there are no roads or cars? Or would you buy it from somewhere that had roads?

Lastly your post about the raid on the immigrant factory in Italy. Yes some of the factories have migrant labour, but you were referencing h and m and not really the high end clothing, I've seen Assos' factory, it is not a third world hovel transplanted into Italy. But we can I ly really do what we can an at least try to buy from nice countries. But doesn't the whole pout of that article were the Italian police raid the factory prove my point? The whole point of the article was that once the authorities found out about the conditions they put a stop to it, that is a REASON to buy from Italy, they CARE about working conditions.


You say: it is not short sighted to not want to buy race bike clothes from a country that isnt (sic) one with a big race cycle culture

You then state: I dont (sic) even know how you stuck the term shortsighted (sic) in there. What does that even mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFQZFL0yoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rapha Clothing
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:00 pm 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], micky, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Rapha Pro Team vs Lightweight vs Superlightweigh jerseys

in Road

milkbaby

14

1327

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:31 am

sequerra View the latest post


It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB