Gaulzetti Cazzo - what no purple?!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

This will be winging its way from Embrocation Cycling to Sydney next week - can't wait to give it a good thrashing...

More here

Gaulzetti Cazzo frame in custom geo.
Pegoretti Falz fork
Chris King headset
Thomson seat clamp

Build kit will either be full Chorus, or Chorus levers & mechs with Tune cranks and EE Brakes. Wheels will be something like a Gigantex 38mm tub on Royce hubs for every day use, training and racing. I'll be building a second set of fancier wheels (something like an Enve 25 or Corima Winnium, or Enve SES 3.4s on Royce Racing Gold hubs) in a couple of months.

It won't be light, but it should be incredible.

corky

by corky

plenty of purple bike jewellry out there to dress her up .... but you knew that anyway.

looking forward to seeing some more pics/build, I have reservations about the Falz fork, headtube junction... Dario designed the fork to go with his newer, larger headtubes and it doesn't look like Craig has used the same.

frame proportions look very good though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nspace

by nspace

Proportions look good!

I say build up a nice set of Ambrosio cronos or similar, some nice hubs (Royce, King, etc) would be a nicer every day set of wheels on this frame than gigantex carbon rims.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

corky - I agree that the fork crown looks a little chunky from the angle shown, but in side profile it looks fine. Besides, the priority with the work was that it works with steel frames so on that basis it'll be perfect. I also think it'll visually 'tone down' the chunkyness with a wheel in there.

nspace - I think I'm too heavy (82kg) for Cronos?! I do have a set of R45/Nemesis wheels, but they need the internals switching over to make them Campag compatible (which I may well do anyway).

I do have a set of the limited edition purple CK hubs and headset on the way, and I have some spare purple Jagwire cable outer - I'm just not sure I'll use them on this!

nspace

by nspace

BikeTart wrote:nspace - I think I'm too heavy (82kg) for Cronos?! I do have a set of R45/Nemesis wheels, but they need the internals switching over to make them Campag compatible (which I may well do anyway).

I do have a set of the limited edition purple CK hubs and headset on the way, and I have some spare purple Jagwire cable outer - I'm just not sure I'll use them on this!

R45/Nemesis sounds like a fantastic combo on this! I guess you need a different axle and campy freehub to make the conversion?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

That's right - the purple hub I have coming is Campag so I might just raid that for its guts and switch them over that way.

I will mostly use the Royce wheels though - I'm importing Royce to Australia now so I have to practice what I preach!

KWalker

by KWalker

Nice- I'm very interested in a Cazzo myself, but the funds- they're just not available. Please set it and forget it unlike the last one!
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Fair comment.

This one is intended to be less of a 'pretty bike' and more of a tool / workhorse - hence the Chorus and the decision to go with unbranded rims that I won't be precious about.

I'll never promise not to swap anything around (I'm currently undecided on cranks and brakes), but there won't be any fussing over bar tape and saddle colour this time!

mrfish

by mrfish

So have Royce fixed that issue on the hub where you have to file off the lock nuts to take it apart?

If so, great.

I have a Royce bb which is still going strong after 21 years, and only on its 2nd set of bearings.

Roobay

by Roobay

It was in the bag Rich lusting got the better of you
Can't wait to see it built and a ride report
Lets hope the material is as good a the titanium
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

Roobay

by Roobay

What size did you order?

Only I might buy it after you don't want it !

Lol ;-)
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

It's left the US so not much longer now...

This geo is probably even more quirky than my Baum John! Still, a lower head tube might appeal to more people...! ;)

If I sell this I think I genuinely have a problem that goes much deeper than bike geometry though!!

nspace

by nspace

I think you are taller than me but I like that your bikes don't have these tiny HT's. I wish the HT on my bike (stock geo, not custom) was 1-2cm taller just for the sake of avoiding spacers (only running 20mm), but it looks much nicer w/o them.

Looking fwd to see the build.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

It's not so much that I'm tall, just that I have a disproportionately long leg compared to my overall height. This also means I have a short torso (and fairly normal length arms), and that's the main reason I have a tall head tube - I already have a 9cm drop from saddle to bar so any shorter on the head tube and I'd be running massive spacer stacks.

That short torso also means I run a really short top tube - despite my 78cm saddle height (which would indicate a 58-60cm frame), this bike has a 55cm top tube!

nspace

by nspace

How tall are you? I think your old R330 was a large (if I recall correctly tat is—I remember looking on your site when I bought my R330). I have a similar issue with legs vs arms/short torso thing. The TT on my frame is 541mm with a 100mm stem. With that setup my drop is 9.5cm with quite a bit of post showing. Sounds like I am somewhat similarly proportioned but a little smaller overall. Heck my Ti29er SS has a 23.8" (605mm) TT with a 70mm stem!

The bike fits well but on my next bike I want non-compact geometry, steel, more classic looking bike with a very similar TT length. I will probably go custom next time round so I can get a properly sized ST with a shorter TT since most stock geometry options for a 540mm TT put me at around a 53cm frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com