Offroad drop bars

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Flared-out "offroad" drop bars seem to make a comeback with the gravel/monstercross crowd. Can anyone tell me what's so great about them? The idea of having your lowest hand position also be the widest seems to be defeating the purpose of aero vs. control.

If I was looking for a bars setup that can do technical sections, as well as long gravel stretches, I'd probably use a flat bar and mount "drop" bar ends inside the brake levers, for a compact road position on long stretches.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/origin8-pro- ... prod18606/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did anyone try something like this?

Edit: found a similar concept, except with regular bar ends http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... argo/page2 . Looks quirky of course, but purposeful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Oh ok. The "drops" position is supposed to emulate the "normal" position of a straight bar. I'm more after a fast position for non-technical terrain. Seen flat bars with Cinelli Spinaci being used for that ... but got to admit everything except normal bar-ends on a flat bar looks quite weird.

Will just make do with a wide road bar. Got to admit the offroad drop bars look quite rad on those monster cross bikes, once the eye has become used to it.

Geoff

by Geoff

I only use drop bars...

The Master Cylinder

by The Master Cylinder

Geoff wrote:I only use drop bars...

Geoff,

Any pics of your drop bar setup?

Thanx,

Brian

Geoff

by Geoff

Here it is...
Attachments
MTB small.jpg

limba

by limba

Whoa, there must be an interesting story to that/you. Has this already been discussed elsewhere on the forum?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com