Tune DC 17 rear skewer

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tubularnator

by Tubularnator

Can anyone give me a review on the Tune DC 17 rear skewer? I bought one but, I don't know if I trust it enough yet . My bike shop didn't like the idea of the skewer but, maybe I'll be convinced by you guys! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tetonrider

by tetonrider

Tubularnator wrote:Can anyone give me a review on the Tune DC 17 rear skewer? I bought one but, I don't know if I trust it enough yet . My bike shop didn't like the idea of the skewer but, maybe I'll be convinced by you guys! :thumbup:

i recently purchase one but haven't taken delivery.

i asked some questions about it and was advised that it is actually suitable for real-world mountain biking, not just a bike for show.

what is it that you don't like?

Tubularnator

by Tubularnator

I don't know but, lbs put the one that came with the wheels. They said it didn't look safe, so I'm still debating whether to put it on my bike, or keep the one I have on right now.

PSM

by PSM

They're safe.

jipperd

by jipperd

I've build several bikes with these and many other QR's.
The MTB version with the Titanium rear axle is safe in any condition, I would think twice about the road version with a aloy rear axle.
These DC17 are safe!

Tubularnator

by Tubularnator

The dc17 doesn't even come with the springs. I was trying it out yesterday on my road bike and you can still move the handle while the skewer is closed on the bike.

Colin

by Colin

You don't need springs, they just add weight! :twisted: Seriously though, I've used a set of skewers on my CX bike without them for 2 years now. They make it a tad more difficult to swap wheels, but they aren't needed.
I also have a set of Bontrager skewers on my MTB that I can move when they're closed, and they are easily the most secure skewers I've ever used. I'd say to go ahead and use them, just because they're light doesn't mean they aren't safe!

cerro

by cerro

No problems at all, just to use. I used Tune U20 on my CX without problems and got a DC17 for my Scalpel now.

Tubularnator

by Tubularnator

Decided to remove the heavy American Classic skewer and put on the Tune DC 17 :wink:

Here is a picture of the skewer and my new bike as well! :D

DSC03549 by jmunoz97, on Flickr

DSC03557 by jmunoz97, on Flickr

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

They do come with springs. At least mine did when I got a F/R set couple years back.

You can move the handle 360 degrees when it is locked. Makes it much easier to close in any position, BTW like pointing down in your pic, then moving it under chainstay etc, as it is not optimal to leave it the way you did.

Fit and forget component in my opinion.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

Tubularnator

by Tubularnator

It was the only one I had. Well I have two but I'm only putting one on :wink: Plus, it's a bling bling to the two white spokes on each wheel :beerchug:
Last edited by Tubularnator on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Ah! The pictures are so dark, I didn't even notice the white spokes at first. It might work then :)

02GF74

by 02GF74

you can replace your discs with identical but with alloy carrier - see my post about "new lightweight disc" - and for not a huge cost, prolly same as what you paid for your steel versions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tubularnator

by Tubularnator

I saw them they came out about a week later after I bought the Ai2s .