Vasectomy Advice

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Given how simple of a procedure this is, it is beyond me why is it that far more men don't do it. I know the real reason, and that is we are too much of a bunch of p....es!!! The alternative on a woman is a considerably more invasive procedure.

This is, for the most part, a very benign and painless procedure. Most people I know that have had it do it on a friday and they are back at work monday without issues. Get it done! :smartass:

Alexn

by Alexn

And I thought I was safe from this topic on a bike forum......
This discussion is popping up everywhere even at the neighbourhood parties with all the neighbourhood wives.

My answer to that is:

As long as the parts in question do not get their proper workout that I find adequate there will be no snipping no matter how easy it is.

This way I can keep doing my workouts and stay on the bike and the wife does not have to make promises that we both know she will not keep. (That boy-friend of her must be talented....need to figure out how he will start taking care of the kids too)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

HammerTime2 wrote:boysa, you moved to D.C. for your wife's benefit. Therefore I would say that you don't owe her snip, snip.

You don't know the half of it... next stop is Newport, Rhode Island!

At least it's not until after this racing season.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

ave

by ave

>Given how simple of a procedure this is, it is beyond me why is it that far more men don't do it.

A piecing through your nose is an even simpler procedure. :)
But seriously, maybe because it's irreversible?

gumdad

by gumdad

I had a "No needle/No scalpel" vasectomy done on a Thursday morning, and was back on the bike Sunday with no problems. Procedure took less than 10 minutes. If you and your wife are positive you don't want any/more children, then do it. She'll appreciate it, and reward you greatly, assuming you chose well in the wife department.

otoman

by otoman

Three of us on the team have had it done in the past year (Masters team :lol: ). 2 of us were off the bike for 1 week, then back on the road with no problem on post-op day #7. I tried the rollers on POD#5, no good. I gingerly hopped off after 5 minutes. Not sure what was up with the 3rd guy, but he did have a hematoma that set him back about a week.

Two main points: were your tightest bibs shorts over a pair of snug underwear with all sorts of little ice packs in there. Frozen peas are generally recommended but pretty damn bulky. You can find little moldable ice packs that are meant for lunch boxes -- they are great. The urologist will tell you just a pair of snug underwear. That is not enough support. You don't want your boys moving AT ALL. Trust me. As cyclists, we have access to much better compression/support than pretty much any other person on the planet. Second point: do NOT skip your semen analysis x 2. Do it, don't be lazy. Do it. Why? I know 2 guys that both have an "oops!" child conceived after their vasectomy b/c they did not do both checks (usually 12 weeks and 14 weeks later)

It's really not too bad and considering that our wives pushed out a few kids, is a very nice/sacrificial/brave way to "take one for the team". 8)
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

dgasmd

by dgasmd

ave wrote:>Given how simple of a procedure this is, it is beyond me why is it that far more men don't do it.

A piecing through your nose is an even simpler procedure. :)
But seriously, maybe because it's irreversible?

That is what makes it great: IRREVERSABLE!!

eric

by eric

I was off the bike for a week and my first few rides were short.

If your wife goes off the pill her libido will probably improve.

Have someone drive you home from the procedure. Driving a manual transmission car home was not a good idea.

The doctor was a urologist who thinks that men should not ride bicycles. When he found out I am a bike racer his manner got more abrupt. For the procedure he asked if he could bring in a doctor he was training- who turned out to be an attractive woman with a sexy Australian accent. That was ok with me but kind of wierd. Then he wanted to set up some sort of barrier so I would not be able to see what was going on, and I had a problem with that. I prevailed but I think my procedure was more painful than normal as a result.

robertg

by robertg

Oddly enough my doctor also brought in 2 interns that were very attractive ladies (and quite young), and it was weird, but hey, they were going to be doctors, so I was fine with it. They also put up a screen that did not allow me to see what they were doing. They told me some people have an odd reaction when watching the procedure and did not react favorably. They did the same thing to me when I had my ACL done. I was awake but they wouldn't let me watch.

PJCM

by PJCM

Looping back on my original post, I had a vasectomy 6 weeks ago. The procedure was pretty straightforward and I am glad I took the option of Valium beforehand to help relax and tune out.

I was uncomfortable for 5 days afterwards and stayed off the bike until day 10 for the 30 minute commute to work and back. A little tender sitting on the saddle initially but 100% OK after a few more days. The incision was relatively small (<1cm) and healed quickly. No problems resuming training and increasing intensity.

Thanks to all for the advice.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Welcome to the club !

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Don't do it , get her to have her tubes tied.... and then hit her with the "If you loved me you wouldn't want me to go thru that " :thumbup:
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

Miller

by Miller

PJCM wrote:Thanks to all for the advice.

Congratulations. You'll soon forget anything ever happened, except that a certain amount of hassle in another area of your life will no longer be present.

sawyer

by sawyer

Clubagreenie wrote:Don't do it , get her to have her tubes tied.... and then hit her with the "If you loved me you wouldn't want me to go thru that " :thumbup:

LOL. Quite.

Keep your options open I say. You never know.

And time off the bike for blowing up the ammo cache? No thanks!! :lol:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

DON'T DO IT!