XX1 chainring bolts - new standard?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

In thats case I'll wait for your verdict on the new bolts as I can't see them being any different than any other bolt. Very curious now... :D

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Carbocage bolts, a bit better but stripped before I reach 5nm.
Experimental Prototype

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I got my spare part Red bolts today. They are a very good fit in the chainring, and nearly identical in dimensions (differences could just be measurement error) to the bolts that come on the XX1 crank (I have one of those that I got with a group). The only difference is that they are black. See pictures. This looks like the way to go if you want to use an aftermarket crank/spider with XX1 rings...
Attachments
Stock SRAM XX1 bolt length
Stock SRAM XX1 bolt length
Stock SRAM XX1 bolt thread diameter
Stock SRAM XX1 bolt thread diameter
SRAM Red replacement bolt thread diameter
SRAM Red replacement bolt thread diameter
SRAM Red replacement bolt length
SRAM Red replacement bolt length

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Very interesting and thanks for posting the info. I tried to find out more myself but apparently XX1 isn't even available in the UK yet (or so two of my local bike shops tell me)! :(

trikobe

by trikobe

I was following this thread very closely because I was waiting for my leonardi sl spider to come in so I could mount the xx1 chainring. Well, it arrived this past week and I had 3 Extralite chainring bolts (for a double set up) laying around and figured I tried them on to see if they would fit. Besides being about 3 mm long (eyeball test so don't hold me to that), they were able to torque up without any problems. Think I'm gonna order me some single speed bolts and start riding the damn thing....
Attachments
.jpg

trikobe

by trikobe

Replaced the Extralite bolts with the Sram Red bolts and it works perfectly Torqued and ready to go.....
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG

robrobideau

by robrobideau

I know that this is a relatively old thread, but there are now a number of options for those of you looking to fit XX1 style chainrings to your current cranksets. Check out these two articles:

http://bideshibiker.blogspot.com/2013/04/sram-xx1-aftermarket-chain-rings.html

http://bideshibiker.blogspot.com/2013/04/why-do-we-need-or-want-aftermarket-xx1.html

WEEBIKES

by WEEBIKES

They're an M8.5x.75 instead of a standard M8x.75

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

I like a bash and have heard that it is almost impossible to fit a bash to these cranks

Depends; Gamut (I think) are planning to launch a 104mm BCD spider for SRAM removal spider cranks (ie. X9-XX1, and Truvativ AKA) which will take normal rings and a bash; not helpful if you want to run a ring smaller than 32t, and also means you can't swap chainrings (should you wish to do so) without removing the crank, which is meant to be an advantage of XX1.