SPECIALIZED ROAD FORK RECALL!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It doesn't affect me, but it will affect quite a few users here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... els-36271/

Specialized is recalling the forks on all iterations of the 2012 Tarmac SL4, 2013 Tarmac SL4, 2013 Crux and 2013 Secteur Disc bicycles and framesets. The forks are being recalled after a few instances of a carbon fiber steerer tube cracking or breaking. The recall affects approximately 12,200 bikes in the US.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Anders

by Anders

Maby they should have tested a bit more. Would have been cheaper in the long run.

jrennie

by jrennie

First as the previous owner of a '12 sl4 and current '13 venge(not mentioned in recall but uses same steer tube I thought, emailed specialized for clarification) the US consumer product safety report says there was 2 reported incidents of failure. Hopefully it stays at that number and if so I would hardly say .016% failure rate is a sign of a cheap product or poor testing protocols.

Frans

by Frans

The failure rate is low (for now) and the recall keeps it low. Where it should be.

When they did the risk assessment, they would have dragged out all the testing and the specification sent to the builders of what exactly they ordered. Obviously, they didn't have enough confidence that these were isolated incidents and could not isolate the problem nor predict what might next happen.

Like bikes, performance sail-boats have to be strong, stiff and light, and designers and builders always fight over weight, cost and build materials/methods. The designer wants the boat to be perfect and to weight and the builder wants it to be simple and cheap to produce. So you get situations where the design states that x layers of T1000 carbon should be used with a special epoxy, and the builder uses y layers of fibreglass and polyester resin (ok that's a bit extreme to prove the point). The two structures are the not the same weight, stiffness, nor strength and that's when accidents occur...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I would think this should include the Allez Race as well since it has the Tarmac fork.

jrennie

by jrennie

That's why I emailed for clarification. It seems a lot of models use the same tapered carbon fork steer beyond what is listed.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

btompkins0112 wrote:I would think this should include the Allez Race as well since it has the Tarmac fork.

That's what I'm afraid of. I was hoping to start building the bike this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Interesting that they are repairing the forks by installing a carbon sleeve inside the tube. You won't be riding your bike for a couple of weeks. But you also get a $100 gift certificate. I'd rather get a loaner bike.

rhyslewisdavies

by rhyslewisdavies

Well I cant moan - took my Tarmac SL4 fork in last Monday and theyd sent a brand new one as a replacement by Thursday along with my £100 voucher. :lol:

jamesfifield

by jamesfifield

Though I don't have an affected fork, I have recently dealt with Specialized warranty department.
They were at all times incredibly courteous and always the model of professionalism. I was really impressed.
Hopefully everyone affected by this gets their fork sorted soon and is out on the road as soon as possible.

KWalker

by KWalker

The new forks simply have another carbon tube glued inside the regular one. Such a chop job. Specialized's quality is really going downhill.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Please don't criticize Specialized's quality. Those skilled Taiwanese Artisans have feelings. Feelings and a passion for cycling.