Zemper Excellens - Now DONE (see page 6)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Now my Zemper Excellens bike is almost done. The bike will be about 6,6 kg when it's finished. The spec-list so far:

Frame: Zemper Excellens (53cm),
Fork: Look HSC 5 SL fullcarbon,
Headset FSA Orbit IS carbon integrated w/ FRM WC expander plug,
Stem: FSA OS-115 w/ al bolts,
Handlebar: FSA K-Force OS carbon,
Seatpost: Extralite The Post UL,
Seat: Tune Speedneedle,
Geargroup: Shimano Dura Ace 10speed,
Cups for BB: FSA MegaExo,
Brakes: Nishiki (don't talk about it).
Cables: Nokon,
Pedals: Speedplay X1,
Wheelset: Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL2,
Tires and Tubes: Michelin Pro Grip/Continental Supersonic.

I have ordered New Ultimate seatpost and bottle cages, Zero Gravity Ti brakes. The tires will also be changed for something black!

What do you think?? :)
Last edited by Mads Kock on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

FelixOr

by FelixOr

very pretty build, congratz :)
the look-fork is so cool, imho it fits almost every frame.
Is the seatpost a 31.6mm one?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anubis

by anubis

Mads Kock wrote:

... that you should not change the tires for something black. What's the point with these full-black cycles? :?:

The frame seems so be a cheap fareast stock part, where anybody can put his name on... There are lot's of more personal and more beautfiul frames.

The wheels look nice with the blue tires, but for the rest: I don't really like it. :roll:

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Thank you Felix!

The Look fork is very smooth looking and looks esspecially good with the Zemper frame because they both have silver logos! It's also very light - 274 grams with 220mm steerertube. Another great thing about the forks is that it was a build-in race so you can loose weight from the headset. Really nice detail!!!

The seatpost is 31,6mm!

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

Seems a nice bike to me mads! Congratulations!

Are you a road or mountain guy?

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

LJ,

I'm a mtb-rider who's been hanging around the road-section on this board too long hehe!

Thanks for your comments!

Anubis,

You're rigth about the origin of the frame but I've wouldn't call it cheap - the frame is really nice looking and is probably made on the same factory as the others.

Lets conclude that we have different taste - I think the black tires will make the bike looks more means :lol:

ALx

by ALx

anubis wrote:
Mads Kock wrote:

... that you should not change the tires for something black. What's the point with these full-black cycles? :?:

The frame seems so be a cheap fareast stock part, where anybody can put his name on... There are lot's of more personal and more beautfiul frames.

The wheels look nice with the blue tires, but for the rest: I don't really like it. :roll:

he should change tires for something red.. to fit stem/handlebar/fork.... azuro tires looks gai :P with red tire it will give a more agressive look to your bike :wink:
Sprinters are born not made

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Very very nice bike, Mads Kock. The weight is/will be great; you surely know how to build a bike!! The fork indeed looks hot (I like the front side picture of it).

About the tire colour I agree with anubis: these aren't too bad after all. I like them on the Ksyriums. Or go for the suggestion of ALx: a Michelin in red, or -more subtile- a Hutchinson Fusion in QuickStep colours with the small red lines (I just took these today at my LBS: I like training on these tires and this colour will look perfect on my bike):

Don't forget to come back and post a picture with your new stuff on it. :wink:

ferrarista

by ferrarista

very nice bike mads kock. love the fork. exactly what I wanna go with for mine. as for tires. you can't go wrong with black
██

butted spoke

by butted spoke

Lovely no-nonsense bike Mads Kock.
Straight lines, clean and fuctional. Even more functional with black tyres!
Interesting gear cable routing, first time I've seen that done.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Thanks for the comments and suggestions about the tires - I had decided to go for all black tires but maybe you're right about a tire with some red would look good. I will try and have a look!

Here are some more pictures of the fork.

Attachments
Look01.JPG
Look02.JPG

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

butted spoke wrote:Lovely no-nonsense bike Mads Kock.
Straight lines, clean and fuctional. Even more functional with black tyres!
Interesting gear cable routing, first time I've seen that done.

Short turns like these are possible with Nokon cabbles. It has been tested on pro level: Erik Zabel did it in 2004. I heard shifting goes a bit less; can you object this, Mads Kock? How's the shifting??

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

butted spoke wrote:Interesting gear cable routing, first time I've seen that done.

It's the way that Nokon suggest routing for shimano system :-)

The shifting is okay but I actually thinks it could be smoother if routed the "normal" way! Maybe I should try and make the circle a little bit bigger - I went for a very minimalistic look and might have sacrificed some performance here!
Attachments
nokon.JPG

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Mads Kock wrote:The shifting is okay but I actually thinks it could be smoother if routed the "normal" way! Maybe I should try and make the circle a little bit bigger - I went for a very minimalistic look and might have sacrificed some performance here!

Thx for the feedback. Zabels cabbles are a bit longer indeed. I didn't know Nokon suggests it this way.

The lightest way to go (for Shimano) is using Shimano shifting cabbles and Nokon braking cabbles, like T-Mobile does (also some extra SRM wires here on the picture of Steinhausers bike):

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

C a s r a n wrote:The lightest way to go (for Shimano) is using Shimano shifting cabbles and Nokon braking cabbles, like T-Mobile does (also some extra SRM wires here on the picture of Steinhausers bike):

Really? I didn't think that shimano would be lighter because of the need of larger circles in the front and at the rear derailleur. I think that nokon look really good at the rear derailleur!

Attachments
nokon1.JPG