650b semi slick or fast narrow knobbie?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm having a hard time finding a fast 650b semi slick for fast dry courses (smooth to very rocky gravel, dry single trail, and some tarmac to link everything together on longer outings). Is anything on the market, maybe with a file thread on the center, or similar. Doesn't need to be super tough against punctures, I'm after something fast and supple.

Almost considering to shave down a knobbie already ...

Thanks.
Last edited by HillRPete on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Read almost to the end of the Internet, with little to show for. Something like a Conti Speed King or Schwalbe Furious Fred would be awesome. In the meantime I'll probably try a Kenda Karma, if I can find it listed somewhere.

jooo

by jooo

Quasi-Moto?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Wouldn't really call the Quasi-Moto a semi slick?

Anyway Vee Rubber seems to be coming with models:

VRB-316 (Speedster) 650Bx1.95
VRB-323 (X-C-X) 650Bx1.95
VRB-325 (Vee12) 650Bx2.10

Wondering about availability, though.

jooo

by jooo

I never said it was, just that it might be suitable for for what you were describing - it's pretty much the only 650B XC tyre that's anything like a Furious Fred or Maxxlite etc.

If you really don't need any tread, there are plenty of nice tyres aimed randonneuring. Will any of those do?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Finally Panaracer Driver Pro 650B looks promising.

sfer1

by sfer1

I fail to see the point of riding 650b semi-slicks. Your wheels would have a similar (if not smaller) diameter than 26" wheels with Continental Race King 2.2 tires, which are fast-rolling high-volume tires (preferable to semi-slicks under almost any circumstances).

Moving to 650b just to make your wheels smaller by your choice of tires is nonsense.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The Pana Driver Pro 650B is spec'd at 2.22, so I can hardly see how they would make a smaller wheel than a 26 x 2.2

sfer1

by sfer1

Panaracer Driver Pro height: 50mm

Continental Race King 2.2 height: 56mm

650b is actually 27", not 27.5", so there's only a 1 inch difference between 26" and a 650b wheels.

Even picking a semi-slick tire that's wider than most, you'd still lose half the difference you had gained moving to 650b.

With other tires you mentioned as an alternative in your second post (such as the Continental Speed Kings, which are about 44mm tall), the difference would disappear completely.

tony.corke

by tony.corke

Ok, there are valid reasons that a cyclist would choose a larger diameter rim and a lower profile tire. I thought this was weight weenies, where the pursuit of optimising minutiae was encouraged?...

jooo

by jooo

There really isn't quite the same selection of 650b tyre styles - yet... Tyres seem to be focused most heavily at the trail riders so far IMO. This is simply why I suggested the Quasi-Moto as a reasonable alternative until more race-orientated tyres become available.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Went with the Kenda Karma 2.0 DTC. Not a semi slick, but loving it. Good volume and nice round profile. Surprising traction with the short knobs (running just under 2 Bar). I'm not seeking out deep mud, but wet conditions are always a possibility.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Thunder Burt is going to be too voluminous for me.

Looking to take my flatbar-650b-CX offroad a bit more this season, mostly to mix up the road interval training (and just try to make my way back down slowly).

Problem is, clearance in the rear is really tight. I've been running 650Bx2.0 Kenda Karma, and love how supple they are, but had to take the side knobs off to clear the chainstays. What are the chances that a Kenda Turnbull Canyon or Pacenti Quasi Moto would clear, with at least some side knobs? I'd be ready to grind them down a bit. The tread of the Turnbull looks very well suited to my needs.

PS: there's the Vee Rubber X-C-X too, but i think it's heavier, and being able to run Kenda front and back would be preferred.

S1mmo

by S1mmo

How about the Schwalbe Rock Razor?

Maybe a little high volume than others suggested, but it looks good and still has decent side knobs..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com