Bont Vaypor Look keo cleat issues?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a set of Bont Vaypors. This morning, I was talking to someone at my club and he said that he had some issues with the curvature of look cleats on the relatively flat sole of the bont a1. Not sure if this is a one off or relatively common occurrence? does the same hold true for the vaypor? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gino.
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Haven't tried Look, but Shimano, Time, and Speedplay cleats all require some shimming on my A1s or they distort when tightened.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

kresyzig

by kresyzig

g_doraz wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a set of Bont Vaypors. This morning, I was talking to someone at my club and he said that he had some issues with the curvature of look cleats on the relatively flat sole of the bont a1. Not sure if this is a one off or relatively common occurrence? does the same hold true for the vaypor? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gino.

I don't know if the Vaypors are different than A1's, but I don't have any trouble with my Look cleats on my Vaypors. I know that the sole of the Vaypors is supposed to be different than the A1's. Maybe the curvature is not the same?

Andyst1

by Andyst1

Hi guys, I have a pair of Bont Vaypors. Lovely looking shoes but the cleat bolts stick through the sole. Has anyone else had that problem? I am reluctant to wear them for fear of being really uncomfortable

gummee

by gummee

Andyst1 wrote:Hi guys, I have a pair of Bont Vaypors. Lovely looking shoes but the cleat bolts stick through the sole. Has anyone else had that problem? I am reluctant to wear them for fear of being really uncomfortable

Mine stick thru as well, but with the Specialized insoles I have in my shoes, I don't notice them. One old trick is to get a nut that has the same threading as the bolt, thread it on, hack off the bit of the bolt you don't need, then unthread the nut. The nut fixes the threads as it unscrews. (or just find shorter cleat bolts)

AFA Keo cleats on my A1s and A3s, I don't notice any problems and I've ridden em lots. (relatively speaking) I don't have any Vaypors, but I'm shopping...

M

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

The curvature of the Vaypor sole is specifically made for look cleats with a 3 hole drilling. Mine fit fine before I switched to speedplay.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Have not had a problem with Vaypor - Keo cleats. work for me.
Yes you will have to cut the bolts so they wont poke thru.. i think some short bolts are available.

benzooki

by benzooki

No problem here, Great shoes.

poully

by poully

I was worried about the bolt sticking through too and was going to cut some Look bolts down, however, a pal of mine had some short Shimano SPD SL bolts in his toolbox and these work a treat.
I think the shortest Look ones are 12 mm if I remember rightly and longer ones 20mm, but Shimano are 8.5mm, 10mm and 13.5mm.
Not sure where you'll buy the short ones off the shelf but I think the 8.5mm is the size that usually comes with Shimano SPD SL cleats.
Could be expensive for 6 bolts I suppose but you may be able to track some down.
Other than that, yes, just cut the longer Look bolts down.
My Keo Cleats work fine with the Bonts and these are fantastic shoes if you get the fit right.
Good luck with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com