Giant Defy Advanced

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Washdogg

by Washdogg

Hi all,
First post here! I've been a long time lurker and now I have something which might be worth making lightweight I'm going to say hello :) Been really useful reading things over the time, so thanks... :beerchug:

Recently sold the bits of my old Trek 5500 (my first build - 5500 frame, metallic blue paint, built it up with sram force, I loved it right until I got hit by a car... :( )

So I saved for a while and got down to three... But this Giant Defy Advanced was in my LBS with loads of money off - so that's what I have now! It's pretty light already, but my aim is to get it down under 6.8kg..

Obviously lighter wheels and some better, lighter pedals would be the way forward first - and then I guess upgrading some stuff to Red. Should be an interesting project... Better start saving!

Also... good to hear any minor aesthetic comments you might have (bars etc.) - not sure the front end is quite right looking at the moment.

Cheers!

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Great bike! I'm a big fan of Giant (have a TCR Advanced SL) and the ride quality.

If you want to lose some weight quick, you can swap out the bars to carbon. You'll probably save around 100gr alone. The Giant carbon bars weigh about 192gr, which isn't too bad. The wheels are also an obvious choice.

Keep us posted!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Washdogg

by Washdogg

Thanks! I'm hoping the ride quality will be even better than my Trek... I loved that bike. Haven't had chance to test it out yet other than on rollers. Definitely feels less buzzy than my aluminium bike does even on the rollers, as you would expect. From what I've heard/read, I'm onto a good thing.

Thanks for the tip re. bars. I'll look into it (and see how bad my bank balance looks now!). I'll look out for an offer.

Re. wheels, still not decided on something light and alloy or something aero and carbon. Maybe something in the middle ground like a DA c35?

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Washdogg wrote:Re. wheels, still not decided on something light and alloy or something aero and carbon. Maybe something in the middle ground like a DA c35?

The DA C35s are nice wheels, but not that light relative to others in the same price range. I like to troll the for sale forums here and on roadbikereview.com for some good deals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

benzooki

by benzooki

I have the same bike
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111536

I've got american classic wheels and some soul s2.0 wheels (That are great for the money)
I've also got the carbon giant bars to put on it.
I decided to fiddle with the seat clamp as well to make that lighter.
I think it should be sub 15 lbs, Mine has look keo blades as well.
Hope you like yours as much as I do mine.
:thumbup: