08 System Six with Hollowgram 175mm arms?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Can anybody here tell me if its possible to install 175mm Hollowgram cranks with the standard 104mm BB on my 08 System six BB30? The shop called and said they hit the frame. The bike came with the Carbon Si 172.5mm but I got a deal on the Hollowgram setup but with 175mm arms. :noidea:

Dammit

by Dammit

System Six or Super Six?

I've run 175mm Hollowgrams on my System six with the 104mm axle no problems what so ever.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Change your shop :roll:
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Dammit wrote:System Six or Super Six?

I've run 175mm Hollowgrams on my System six with the 104mm axle no problems what so ever.

Ok I just got back from the shop and while there I asked what the problem was. He said the lip of the bottom bracket prevented the left crank arm from being able to add spacers to bring it out to the point where it does not hit the frame. The shop is mainly a mtn bike shop with no high end road bikes. There is two other shops I can try that are dealers also. Do you thing he had the bottom bracket backwards?

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

shoemakerpom2010 wrote:Can anybody here tell me if its possible to install 175mm Hollowgram cranks with the standard 104mm BB on my 08 System six BB30? The shop called and said they hit the frame. The bike came with the Carbon Si 172.5mm but I got a deal on the Hollowgram setup but with 175mm arms. :noidea:

Sorry its a System Six which is wider then a Super as I was told.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Well the shell width on Systems and Supers is the same and the left hand arm doesn't need spacers, no idea what they are doing but if I were you I'd get my bike out of there pronto before they f*** something up :shock:
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

spud

by spud

Best to have someone else look at it. I run 175 on a System six and have no problems. With regards to the spacers, I'm having trouble visualizing your explanation - the BB spindle with the shoulder inserts from the NDS to the DS, and the spacers are added underneath the DS crank to fix the preload on the bearings.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

spud wrote:Best to have someone else look at it. I run 175 on a System six and have no problems. With regards to the spacers, I'm having trouble visualizing your explanation - the BB spindle with the shoulder inserts from the NDS to the DS, and the spacers are added underneath the DS crank to fix the preload on the bearings.

I am going to take it to a shop that I know has at least 3 guys that probably have done this before. I didn't quite understand what he told me also but since I haven't taken it apart before myself I felt out of line saying he was wrong. What you say makes sense to his description except he said he had clearance issues.

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

I'm a little drive but you could always bring it to me!

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

maggierose wrote:I'm a little drive but you could always bring it to me!

I only wish you were closer. :cry:

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

If the lip in the bb was preventing the left arm from being able to be "spaced out", they had the bb lip on the right side, which is the wrong side.
Left arm should be attached to spindle side with lip. Then the bearing shield. Then you stick it in the frame. Then, on the other side, there should be another shield, some preload spacers (id start with 2), then wavy washer, then right crankarm. Bam! you're done.
BTW, the right crankarm will not fit on the lip side of the spindle at all.

spud

by spud

wondering if your shop installed the BB spindle w/o the alloy bearing cover (can't recall exact assembly sequence).

oldnslow

by oldnslow

I have a 2007 System Six and it came with the Carbon Si cranks.
I replaced them with Hollowgram SL cranks and everything works fine, both with the standard 104mm spindle and, later, the Cannondale SRM spindle. As mentioned above, the spindle is inserted from the NDS and the spacers are fitted on the drive side.
Should be no problem.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

oldnslow wrote:I have a 2007 System Six and it came with the Carbon Si cranks.
I replaced them with Hollowgram SL cranks and everything works fine, both with the standard 104mm spindle and, later, the Cannondale SRM spindle. As mentioned above, the spindle is inserted from the NDS and the spacers are fitted on the drive side.
Should be no problem.

I just took it to a shop with a master cannondale mechanic that had a system (same model) and explained the situation. He said he would probally get to it today :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Look out master cannondale mechanic coming through :frightened: :lol: :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree