New aero wheelset help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prebsy

by prebsy

Slayer33 wrote:Hmmm.. ok, I'm taking the Eastons out..

It's Reynolds all the way for me. I can get either the Forty-Six or the Sixty-Six for the same price..

Is it worth the extra 150-200 grams for the added 20mm of aero goodness?

I'm not concerned with crosswinds, I'm a heavy rider ~200lbs..

Good choice skipping the eastons.
If you are going to keep your rs80s I would get the sixty-six but if you need a wheelset to do it all get the forty-six.
-EP

Estelja

by Estelja

gummee wrote:How bout another answer: November. Once they come out with their new rim, I think they're gonna be the shiznit (outside the 'major' players)

M

The November "Rail" wheel is testing well: http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... tions.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

I run a set of 66 and a set of assaults.

don't worry about the rider weight limits. the wheels are plenty stiff for big guys. For a Tri bike I like the 66, but in clincher they are at the outer limit of weight for me to feel 'lively' the 46 has a lot more jump. Of course the 66 feels easier to keep going for long pulls. Very different wheels IMHO

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I had a pair of carbon 50mm clinchers and a set of assault/strike combo clinchers and sold the Reynolds right away as the cost difference, to me, was absolutely unwarranted. Now after having ridden wider rims (and converted) I can confidently say there is no carbon clincher shy of 23mm width that is worth it to me. Nor would I ever invest in a traditional v-shape again unless it was a weight only decision (as in building a sub kilo tubular wheelset).

That said, have you looked at the HED Jet? I rid Belgiums and Stingers and absolutely love both.

gourami7

by gourami7

How about Vision Trimax T42, Bontrager Aura 5, Flo 60, Williams 50 ?

clxcolnago

by clxcolnago

I still dont believe in carbon clinchers...bad braking and melt down issues

I have mavic sle, no worries, if its too heavy replace the quick release with light ones n get lighter tires

Or just get tubular...say no to carbon clinchers..there is still a big debate over this..u dont wanna be a test bed

ras11

by ras11

+1 for the Bontrager Aura 5 and Flo 60 suggestions.

If performance is your goal, not cosmetics, a HED Jet 6 FR front with a Velocity A23 rear on White Industries hub would fit the cost limits. A rear cover from Wheelbuilder should be suitable for the odd TT, again, with exceptional aerodynamics. The down side is the look with a deep front wheel and shallow rear is not popular.
:-) Toys-R-Us

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

clxcolnago wrote:I still dont believe in carbon clinchers...bad braking and melt down issues

A couple years ago I would have definitely agreed with you. With that said, the SES series from Enve has really changed my mind. They dissipate heat so much faster than my Reynolds, and the braking is much quieter.

Slayer33

by Slayer33

Thanks for all the feedback, I ended up picking up a set of Reynolds Sixty Six wheels.. I may regret it, I may not, but the Forty Six's that I was looking at sold on eBay for $1600, the Sixty Six's were in town and I was able to get them for $1200 :)

I figured if I hate them, at worst I can sell them for a little less loss and then get something lower 46-55mm..

But I am hoping these are exactly what I want.. I'm a heavy rider so I don't worry about crosswinds so much.. and most of my riding is done in a valley which is sheltered from most winds..
2009 Scott Spark 50 - 22.9 lbs / 10.38 kg
2011 Cannondale SuperSix 5 - 15.35 lbs / 6.96 kg

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

good choice on the 66's. They're great wheels!

Slayer33

by Slayer33

Thanks! I really can't wait to try them out.. going to put them on the bike tonight :)

Unfortunately its -23C today and snowy.. so I won't be able to take them for a test spin for a while :(
2009 Scott Spark 50 - 22.9 lbs / 10.38 kg
2011 Cannondale SuperSix 5 - 15.35 lbs / 6.96 kg