Long torso, good reach but short legs. Advice req.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

So long torso, good reach but short legs. I am 5'9 but have inseam akin to 5'6 I suppose at 30 inches. aaccording the the book 'serious cycling' I have a 2.4 torso ratio which is longgggg.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serious-Cycling ... 540&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am looking at Cannondale Supersix evo for 3013/14 after a break from the road (3 months off).

I can ride 54 cm or 56 cm but wondered what others who face this body type do/prefer for fit.

The issue is I am top heavy (I weight train and ex high level rugby player).

I suppose due to short inseam which always makes me prefer the longer top tube / head tube option but the agile nature of the smaller frame appeals. A case of dialling in the front with a longer stem. Paradoxically, I run inline seat posts due to leg length on the bigger frames.

I dont race, but I target certain events. For example last year I raced Bristol > London, 117.4 miles in 6 hours 4 mins so like to get the bike going rather than bimble about.

Appreciate any input from folks who may face the same ongoing bike fit issue.

Thanks.

Diego.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

If you don't want to go custom get a 52 cm cannondale evo with a longer stem.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

Basically you want a low and long frame, and preferrably with a slightly shallower seat tube angle. Long stems are fine as long as they are within the normal range.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

GT56

by GT56

52 Cannondale same reach as 54, but lower, what more does one want

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

52cm. lower seat and 120-130mm stem. this is what cav does and he has munchkin legs for his height.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

OK thanks. An update.

I am confused. :mrgreen:

I sat on a 56cm in a turbo today and reach was good, but the rear triangle was out.

Given we ride with our legs, I am now thinking 54cm for efficient pedal stroke as although chain stay length the same, extra 2cm stand over on 56cm = higher seat stays in turn affecting the saddle height and kops. With correct set up at front inc. a longer stem to compensate for the 15mm shrink on tt. I would imagine a 120mm stem would just slow down the handling a tad.

Oddly, we slammed the 56cm which was 155 tt with 25mm conical so a 140 ht with 25mm conical and 10mm spacer will put me in about the same place....I think :?

I literally have the dimension that equate to 52/54cm rear and 56cm front ! :smartass: :thumbup:

For the record, here I am on my S2 so you can see how I look on a 56cm frame, allbeit compact. (ps, not a climber ;-) ) As such, thinking 54cm standard geo, 56cm compact.

giant man

by giant man

diegogarcia wrote:So long torso, good reach but short legs. I am 5'9 but have inseam akin to 5'6 I suppose at 30 inches. aaccording the the book 'serious cycling' I have a 2.4 torso ratio which is longgggg.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serious-Cycling ... 540&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am looking at Cannondale Supersix evo for 3013/14 after a break from the road (3 months off).

I can ride 54 cm or 56 cm but wondered what others who face this body type do/prefer for fit.

The issue is I am top heavy (I weight train and ex high level rugby player).

I suppose due to short inseam which always makes me prefer the longer top tube / head tube option but the agile nature of the smaller frame appeals. A case of dialling in the front with a longer stem. Paradoxically, I run inline seat posts due to leg length on the bigger frames.

I dont race, but I target certain events. For example last year I raced Bristol > London, 117.4 miles in 6 hours 4 mins so like to get the bike going rather than bimble about.

Appreciate any input from folks who may face the same ongoing bike fit issue.

Thanks.

Diego.

I am pretty similar sizing to you. 5' 9", long torso and shorter legs with an inseam of 31 inches. When selecting frame size, it isn't the top tube and reach I have to worry about as I have long arms; it's the seat tube height. I'm not as heavily built as you up top, much slimmer, but I feel your pain mate. These manufacturers which offer their frames in S, M, L etc. always have me between two sizes, usually between Small and Medium. Colnago's traditional sizing as a 54cm is a perfect fit. Not exactly easy for us though, is it?

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

[/quote]
I am pretty similar sizing to you. 5' 9", long torso and shorter legs with an inseam of 31 inches. When selecting frame size, it isn't the top tube and reach I have to worry about as I have long arms; it's the seat tube height. I'm not as heavily built as you up top, much slimmer, but I feel your pain mate. These manufacturers which offer their frames in S, M, L etc. always have me between two sizes, usually between Small and Medium. Colnago's traditional sizing as a 54cm is a perfect fit. Not exactly easy for us though, is it?[/quote]

Yes to a point it is. Nothing off the shelf fits but to be honest I don't want a custom build as in a handmade frame. If people made 55cm bikes I would be laughing.

But there is an answer out there. I will do a turbo on the 54cm which whilst the bike may look smaller under me, it may end up being very efficient etc. Otherwise will revert back to compact options again....I am holding out for the 140mm head tube and spacer set up being managable. I can ride low HT but of course the longer torso moves the centre of gravity as my spine loads further up the back akin to big old Lance Armwrong. Back in 10 I was riding a 140mm HT which is fine, but the excess weight on my triceps was a pain.

djconnel

by djconnel

Back when I looked at this Colnagos and Felts were long:

Some said I should have plotted stack versus reach. Maybe; I don't know.

boots2000

by boots2000

Need more bike dimensions.
What is your saddle height?
What is distance from saddle to center of stem clamp?
What is drop from saddle to bars?
If you have a healthy drop from saddle to bars, small frame and long stem is the way to go.
If drop is minimal- may take some thinking.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Cheers.

Went back for a second look at the Dale today. The BG fitter suggests I am good on the 56cm, but we need shorter cranks which I always run anyway.

I felt like I wanted to come up and back a tad, but the front was slammed with a 155mm HT and 25mm conical.

Here are a couple of phone grabs with some position on the bike. excuse my shape, but had three months off the bike due to depression and not pedalled over 60 miles since Aug. You can see how my spine loads at the top, hence needing a bigger TT/HT than the 54 which frankly made me feel like a giant and actually condenses the spine.

Any input appreciated. The goniometer was used and all angels in good range. Stand over not ideal, but thats life when you are a short legged gimp ! Typically, the bike felt even better off the turbo out on a test.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i think u are taller than 5'9.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I think the 2 guys in the last pic will give as much of an answer as you're going to get on here ;-)

If you cant believe in what you think is right/wrong and what the shop is saying, try elsewhere..

i dont think pics on the turbo bear much resemblance to what happens out riding in regards to postion anyway, but i'm no expert
Official cafe stop tester

pushbike4

by pushbike4

Just for another data point, I'm 5-10 and long in the torso. I've ridden 54 and 56cm Cannondales and never felt like either fit me all that well. It's a bummer actually, as I do like the Cannondale product. I'm currently on a 55cm Bianchi with a 120 stem and I'm more comfortable than I have ever been.

If your looking for opinions from internet hacks: the pictures above appear to be in the ballpark. I'd be tempted to go with that 54cm and tweak with setback and stem length (oh, don't forget bars offer a knob to turn wrt reach too). It sounds like you like the bike and it's what your fitter is pointing you too.

Good Luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Here's the photo Jan Heine uses in response to those who talk about standover... Roger Baumann "winning" Paris-Brest-Paris in 1956, a 1200 km randonneuring event:

I don't dismount a bike with both feet on the ground straddling the top tube, especially with clip-in pedals.