Specialized SHIV repaint and rebuild

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

scottmellin

by scottmellin

I purchased a used SHIV TT from the disbanded Highroad team in January 2012. It was the bike that Tejay VanGarderen rode in domestic races. Awesome bike. Super custom features and details: battery mount on saddle, custom stem with port for Di2 control box and more. Perfectly UCI legal (acknowledged with a hi5 from the tech at US Masters Nationals). Love this bike. But hated the color scheme.

I had my team shop, Adventure Cycle in Aurora Colorado, tear it down. Then took it to my Audi dealer, Prestige Imports. This is official Audi Brilliant Black across the frame, stem, seat post, bar and extensions. I found a guy in Luxembourg to execute custom size die-cut decals. I'm super happy with the new look. Every cable is hidden. The cable holes in the top tube have been filled in and now present a seamless top tube to stem profile.

A couple of updates from Tejay's setup: New 2012 Fizik Ares (more padding in the nose), SRM DA 7900 177.5, replaced the rear brake V-pipe with Nokon cable (much better brake modulation).

Scott
Attachments
Original SHIV TT
Original SHIV TT
New SHIV TT with Stinger 9
New SHIV TT with Stinger 9
With H3D
With H3D
IMG_0095.jpg
Updated PRO Missle EVO cockpit
Updated PRO Missle EVO cockpit
Custom stem and updated top tube
Custom stem and updated top tube
IMG_0105.jpg
Custom Di2 Battery Mount
Custom Di2 Battery Mount
Jagwire for rear brake
Jagwire for rear brake
Frame Only
Frame Only
Last edited by scottmellin on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice!!!! How did they strip the existing paint?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scottmellin

by scottmellin

Hand sanded every inch of the frame, fork, bar and extensions. Stem is painted CNC'd aluminum and the seat post was nude carbon with a gloss clearcoat.

Dalai

by Dalai

scottmellin wrote:Perfectly UCI legal (acknowledged with a hi5 from the tech at US Masters Nationals).

Nice bike! Are you sure UCI compliant? Angle of the extensions plus your forearms when you are on the bike?

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... Y&LangId=1

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

scottmellin

by scottmellin

Yes, I've had my bike measured three separate times on this very sophisticated UCI developed tool:
Attachments
uci-jig-005.jpg

prebsy

by prebsy

scottmellin wrote:I purchased a used SHIV TT from the disbanded Highroad team in January 2012. It was the bike that Tejay VanGarderen rode in domestic races. Awesome bike. Super custom features and details: battery mount on saddle, custom stem with port for Di2 control box and more. Perfectly UCI legal (acknowledged with a hi5 from the tech at US Masters Nationals). Love this bike. But hated the color scheme.

I had my team shop, Adventure Cycle in Aurora Colorado, tear it down. Then took it to my Audi dealer, Prestige Imports. This is official Audi Brilliant Black across the frame, stem, seat post, bar and extensions. I found a guy in Luxembourg to execute custom size die-cut decals. I'm super happy with the new look. Every cable is hidden. The cable holes in the top tube have been filled in and now present a seamless top tube to stem profile.

A couple of updates from Tejay's setup: New 2012 Fizik Ares (more padding in the nose), SRM DA 7900 177.5, replaced the rear brake V-pipe with Nokon cable (much better brake modulation).

Scott

Gorgeous bike. How much did the audi dealer charge you for the paint job?
-EP

Geoff

by Geoff

Looks nice, but what a shame to mutilate a Pro bike...

Elrey

by Elrey

Looks bad i black. You should change the chainring to something black.
IMHO i liked it better in the pro colors. But hey, it's your bike and it looks killer either way!

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Nice work!

How long did sanding the frame take you? Did you go all the way down to bare carbon, or just the top layer of paint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scottmellin

by scottmellin

To all.

The sad reality of the original bike, even though it was claimed to have less than 5 race days on it, was that the paint was hammered. The lo-res web images make the original bike look super cool, but the bike up close was less than stellar. It's such an amazing machine but it looked horrible.

The yellow and green highlights were a rough combination. The wheel graphics were just stickers and they easily peeled off. The rear disc stickers (both sides) must have weighed 150g total. They were super thick and ran from braking surface to hub.

My decision was also based on the optic of our team kit which is blue and black. And I have a Venge and Tarmac SL4 both in Matte Black, so I wanted all to match.

The original SHIV frame set and PRO Missle EVO was painted as noted previously. The paint was applied over nude carbon then sprayed with a matte clear coat. The Audi team sanded down to the carbon base in order to eliminate any ridges from the original layers.

They then sprayed one thin layer of Brilliant Black over the entire frameset including post, stem, bars, extension and pad cups. Total time for the process was 4 days.

Net change in weight was +34g over the original, before decals. If you add the wheels in (post sticker removal) I'm down around -100g overall.

Total costs for bike disassembly, paint, rebuild : $810US

Hope that helps.

SM

grid256

by grid256

How did you get your extensions to pop up like that? From here it looks like a little shim of sorts?

Also, you should be able to get the rear brake cable run much cleaner. It took some finagling, but I was able to get my Shiv cabled very tightly in this area with supplied parts. Cool bike!

tetonrider

by tetonrider

scottmellin wrote:...

nice.

angled shim on top of the base bar and below the extensions? how do you like it with the pads angled back? i would think you'd want another angled shim (facing the opposite way) atop the extension and below the pad to correct the angle of the pads.

the selective enforcement of rules at nationals is a bit silly to me (e.g., forearms not flat). my opinion is to enforce them all or enforce none of them.

how do you like the h3d on the front? it would probably be a handful for me.

koebes

by koebes

oh god, why? :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller76

by Miller76

Great work, looks stunning!! I know there is a lot of hate toward black stealth bikes but I think this is great!! Lets be honest, the horrific Highroad team color scheme was never going to be a classic...